Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm just the opposite. I never watch sports live. If I have a vested interest, I wait to see if the outcome pleases me. If it does, I'll watch the event several times. If not it gets deleted without watching. If I have no investment in who wins, but the game appears to be entertaining, I'll watch it later. I haven't watched a live sporting event in years...same with ordinary programming.

TV is too expensive, to be sure, and it's getting worse. I'm looking for local alternatives but a DVR must be part of the solution. We have fiber coming out here to the country soon and the local telephone company is going to offer TV and internet services. We are going to look very hard at this option, as it would be nice to keep the money locally (or more locally). Been with D* for a very, very long time, but enough is becoming enough.

Including playoffs and the Super Bowl?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm with Hasan on this. I watch everything recorded. Very little live.

Yup, on the playoffs and the Super Bowl, I watch after recording. I try to record every game of the Yankees' season and watch each game either during the recording or the next morning.

I didn't acquire all these HRs to watch commercials... :lol:

#63 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Oh whoa is you!! Stop & think about ALL the elderly who live on fixed incomes(which obama is about to whittle down again)who have to decide if their going to pay their heating bill this month, or eat. NOW THAT'S DEPRESSING!! TV is just a luxury MOST of us can do without.......

Just because it could be worse, doesn't make it better. A very harsh response to someone just airing a little frustration. Really, uncalled for and out of line.

#64 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've read many threads lately with complaints about the rising cost of TV service. Many of these complaints are then followed with a rant about the high cost of sports programming and the age old "why should I have to pay for ESPN (and the like) when I don't even watch sports?" While I understand this argument to some extent, I would like to present a different viewpoint here: Sports programming is what's keeping pay TV viable in today's economy.

I could make the argument that, if not for exclusive sporting events and programming available through pay TV subscriptions, we would see a much larger number of people cutting their cord, so to speak. With so many more viable options for TV today (Hulu, Netflix, OTA, just to name a few), there is very little reason to shell out $80+ a month just for the ability to watch a show without having to wait a few days or, worst case, a year to see through other mediums. But, what's one thing you can't do on a Roku? Watch Monday Night Football or an out of market NFL game.

Advertisers have already shown us the future by their willingness to a invest more advertising $$$ into live sporting events than any other programming. The biggest reason? Those events are more likely to have real-time viewers as sports are not a good candidate for our DVR/on-demand world. I'm not suggesting that without sports we would have no TV subscriptions, but I do think that sports keep a lot of would-be cord cutters from jumping ship. That, in turn, keeps pay TV costs from skyrocketing even more as companies attempt to make up for the mass exodus from TV subscriptions.

So, the next time you feel like ranting about the fact that you have to pay for sports you don't even watch, consider these points and perhaps change your tone to a thank you instead. If not for sports you may not have a pay TV option to complain about. :)

If I could get a WatchESPN provider where I live, I'd turn my satellite off right now.

#65 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

After 16 years with DirecTV, tired of paying for a lot of TV I don't watch and in my opinion, excessive equipment fees, I canceled my service and I just sent my equipment back to DirecTV this morning. For the past 2 weeks I have used Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus for most of my TV watching. I am getting quite a few stations OTA, but I don't have a DVR setup at this point. Not much of a sports fan, so cutting the cord has been pretty painless. I canceled my premium channels over  a year ago with DirecTV, but I am holding out hope Sho and HBO will offer something in the near future. If not, oh well.

#66 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

After 16 years with DirecTV, tired of paying for a lot of TV I don't watch and in my opinion, excessive equipment fees, I canceled my service and I just sent my equipment back to DirecTV this morning. For the past 2 weeks I have used Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus for most of my TV watching. I am getting quite a few stations OTA, but I don't have a DVR setup at this point. Not much of a sports fan, so cutting the cord has been pretty painless. I canceled my premium channels over  a year ago with DirecTV, but I am holding out hope Sho and HBO will offer something in the near future. If not, oh well.

If Showtime would let me pay them directly and stream their channels I'd be right there with you.  Someday I'll get up the nerve to cut the cord and just wait a year for Netflix to get their original programming.....

#67 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

If the constant rise in cost keeps going its only a matter of time until most of us call it quits.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#68 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

The problem with streaming content is the quality is crap as well as the selection.  If one goes legit that is.  

Though these days everything we watch is on the DVR and we don't watch live tv so it's getting close to a point where that could happen.  And the new x.265 codec coming next year will improve streaming quality dramatically.

Just curious, what is the cancellation fee for direct?  I think I read it's $20/month remaining on the contract.  Do you get to keep the receiver or do you have to send it back?

Edited by archer75, 15 April 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#69 OFFLINE   stewdog1

stewdog1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm like many others here.  I would cut the cord if it wasn't for sports.  Even though most of the games I watch end up being recorded.

#70 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

The problem with streaming content is the quality is crap as well as the selection.  If one goes legit that is.  

The quality of steaming I have experienced is fantastic. I have a cable  modem connection that can get up to 12mbps. I stream entire movies and series encoded with Dobly 5.1 with very few issues. I am  using my PS3 as a base unit to launch Hulu and Amazon Prime. Over the past 2 weeks, I once had a message that quality would be lowered due to low bandwidth and 2 other times the stream paused during playback. This could be my network as I am temporarily using Linksys Powerline adapters to move the data from one side of the house to the other.

#71 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

The quality of steaming I have experienced is fantastic. I have a cable  modem connection that can get up to 12mbps. I stream entire movies and series encoded with Dobly 5.1 with very few issues. I am  using my PS3 as a base unit to launch Hulu and Amazon Prime. Over the past 2 weeks, I once had a message that quality would be lowered due to low bandwidth and 2 other times the stream paused during playback. This could be my network as I am temporarily using Linksys Powerline adapters to move the data from one side of the house to the other.

Perhaps I should have prefaced my comment by saying the quality on larger displays is crap.  Harder to notice on smaller TV's.  I'm using a projector and a large screen so any imperfections I can see.  I also have FIOS for interent and no caps so bandwidth isn't an issue.  My entire house is wired with gigabit so no issue moving video around. 

I also wish movie streaming had Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA HD.  

#72 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

The streaming quality has to do with your ISP package speed, your area, and your networking equipment could impact it as well. Like I have a Motorola Surfboard SB510U Cable Modem and a Belkin N300 Wireless N Router, and 30mbps download speed and 2 mbps upload with MediaCom and seem to never have a problem with quality streaming on sites such as Hulu, Crackle, and Youtube using my dv6-7215nr Notebook/PS3/xbox360. I can agree with you on the selection on some of these sites which is why I gave Netflix the utter shaft. Like what internet speed do you have?

Edited by Volatility, 15 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

The streaming quality has to do with your ISP package speed, your area, and your networking equipment could impact it as well. Like I have a Motorola Surfboard SB510U Cable Modem and a Belkin N300 Wireless N Router, and 30mbps download speed and 2 mbps upload with MediaCom and seem to never have a problem with quality streaming on Hulu, HBOGO, Showtime Anytime, Crackle, and Youtube using my dv6-7215nr Notebook/PS3/xbox360. I can agree with you on the selection on some of these sites which is why I gave Netflix the utter shaft. Like what internet speed do you have?

I posted above but i'm on FIOS.  25 down/25 up.  Whole house hard wired with Cat6 and gigabit switches.  

#74 OFFLINE   Jillxz

Jillxz

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

There is one, is called DirecTV…lol

Nope , it's not called DirecTV    I just dropped   Directv because I got tired of paying $87.99 a month for program  I never watched.Like over 50 channels of  informercials and selling channels. lots of reality programs , double channels like 2 QVC channels ,  Just plain trash stuff that  I don't  watch..  Many sport channels that I don't watch . I could have gone to a lower package , but then I would not have been able to watch some of the main program that I do like.  So , I dropped them..I don't have anything but Netflix .  Do plan to get the Roku3.  But no , Paying these outlandish prices to watch a few choice programs is too much.  I elect not to do It . Maybe I will get tired of not getting my local channels and go back. Time will tell I guess.

Edited by Jillxz, 15 April 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yes. I still haven't fully watched the last two super bowls, but I have watched all the playoff games I cared to...and several were watched multiple times. I guess I'm more of a fan of the game than of a team. I follow multiple teams and enjoy the "game". Being a long suffering follower of da bears, I've learned not to invest too heavily in the outcome of any given game, but focus more on appreciating what takes place on the field. I understand that approach is pretty unusual, but that's what I do, and I really enjoy the games.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#76 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Looks like Dish is planning for the future at least...

http://money.msn.com...415&id=16351863

I really do think for the 'masses' things are going to change in the near future.  Why pay for channel after channel of crap when  you can go online and get 'most' of what you want.

Satellite makes sense for rural areas but for the majority on-line is likely where it will be and Satellite and on-line don't seem to go together.

#77 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I posted above but i'm on FIOS.  25 down/25 up.  Whole house hard wired with Cat6 and gigabit switches.  

Sorry I missed that. With speeds like that I can't see why streaming quality would be an issue. Have you tried a speed test at speedtest.net and see what you are actually getting? Also if you don't already know, Verizon offers an optimizer that may help out: http://my.verizon.co...d.aspx?CusType=

#78 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

To "cut the cord" requires a lifestyle change like losing weight. You have to be in the right mind set. (BTW I have lost 43 lbs since November!) 

My friend who I helped do this feels really good about what she did. Others where she works are considering doing the same. I actually could probably make some money advising some of these folks how to do it, but I won't since they are friends. 

FYI, at least here in the Denver area, if you cancel your Comcast cable or internet, they don't disconnect the service line from the house, and you can continue to get about 60 channels, including all the locals in HD. You need a newer HD set and ATSC tuner. I don't know how long this will last, but I know several folks who are doing this. I have never had Comcast TV but I get the 60 channels over the cable I used for internet that I canceled in January.

BTW, if you work for Comcast, you did not see this here.  :grin:

• Volatility likes this

#79 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

FYI, at least here in the Denver area, if you cancel your Comcast cable or internet, they don't disconnect the service line from the house, and you can continue to get about 60 channels, including all the locals in HD. You need a newer HD set and ATSC tuner. I don't know how long this will last, but I know several folks who are doing this. I have never had Comcast TV but I get the 60 channels over the cable I used for internet that I canceled in January.

Regardless whether or not they disconnected it at the tap, if you knowingly and willingly connect the incoming line to your TV it is cable theft. 

#80 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Looks like Dish is planning for the future at least...

http://money.msn.com...415&id=16351863

That would mean they would have had acquired both Blockbuster and Sprint Nextel if this goes through. I ponder why D* never does any such bidding on such entities.

BTW, if you work for Comcast, you did not see this here. :grin:

well there is this Comcast call center down the road from me where I know several people whom work there lol

Edited by Volatility, 15 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.

spam firewall