Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

double post :(

Edited by Volatility, 15 April 2013 - 06:22 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Regardless whether or not they disconnected it at the tap, if you knowingly and willingly connect the incoming line to your TV it is cable theft. 

How is that theft? In my mind, theft requires some sort of action on the part of the thief, not lack of action on someone else's part. You own the wires in your house, you are under no obligation to disconnect those wires from your TV because you cancelled service. If the cable company doesn't disconnect/filter your house that's their fault, not yours. If they disconnected the wire and you reconnected it, then it would be theft. If you paid to have a newspaper delivered to your house every morning and cancelled, but you still received a paper because they failed to notify the paperboy, is it theft if you read that paper but not if you dump it in the recycling bin unread? That's basically the difference between having a usable cable signal sent in your home that you either watch or choose not to watch. It may be a bit unethical, but it is definitely not theft.

If they aren't bothering to disconnect the cable, and this is not down to a couple lazy employees but is the policy for the whole area, perhaps they're planning on encrypting all the channels fairly soon so they don't think it matters if a few people get free cable in the meantime. I know there are now a few places where there is nothing broadcast in clear QAM or analog any longer, so you need a cable box or cable card to get even a single channel. In a few years that'll be the norm for cable, so they can do connect/disconnects remotely without a truck roll and pretty much eliminate all cable theft (not your imaginary theft, but actual theft, where someone goes into the boxes to reconnect their drop/remove filters, or split off from a neighbor's line)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#83 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

I read on DSLReports all the time of people who talk about how they are only subscribed to internet and/or phone service that knowingly and willingly split the incoming line and connect it to their TV and that is most definitely cable theft.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#84 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

The cable in my house was installed by me. Comcast hooked it up to their system outside of my house. The Tech who installed it said the cable was still connected at the their box even though I cancelled cable 16 years ago! When I called and cancelled I expected Comcast to physically disconnect me from their system, but it seems like they don't do that.

It is not like I removed filters like a lot of people did years ago to get premium programming. If they continue to send programming down the pipe in the clear I am not stealing anything!

Now realize the channels I can get are only HD and SD locals and a few standard cable channels (Discovery, Hallmark) and shopping channels and religious channels.. There are also a lot of duplicates of those channels. But for cord cutters, the locals are all they want, and if it keeps them from buying an antenna, why not!

#85 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

The cable in my house was installed by me. Comcast hooked it up to their system outside of my house. The Tech who installed it said the cable was still connected at the their box even though I cancelled cable 16 years ago! When I called and cancelled I expected Comcast to physically disconnect me from their system, but it seems like they don't do that.
It is not like I removed filters like a lot of people did years ago to get premium programming. If they continue to send programming down the pipe in the clear I am not stealing anything!

Now realize the channels I can get are only HD and SD locals and a few standard cable channels (Discovery, Hallmark) and shopping channels and religious channels.. There are also a lot of duplicates of those channels. But for cord cutters, the locals are all they want, and if it keeps them from buying an antenna, why not!

Because the legal thing to do would be to pay for what you are receiving...Comcast, like all other MSOs (DirecTV, DISH, FIOS, U-Verse, etc., etc.) have to pay retransmission fees for all the broadcast networks, not to mention these fees are constantly on the rise. Why do you think they charge for TV service? Using an antenna is the only "free" way to legally receive the local broadcast networks.

Now, if you do not want to pay for the service then the right thing to do would be to contact Comcast via Twitter or there support forums, explain the situation and I bet they will address it. 

Anyways, I have veered a little off topic...so back to the topic of "Cord Cutting"!  :righton:

Edited by coolman302003, 15 April 2013 - 11:32 PM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#86 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Sorry I missed that. With speeds like that I can't see why streaming quality would be an issue. Have you tried a speed test at speedtest.net and see what you are actually getting? Also if you don't already know, Verizon offers an optimizer that may help out: http://my.verizon.co...d.aspx?CusType=

My speed is fine.  It's just that most streaming isn't 1080p.  Vudu if you want to pay for it.  That's why netflix launched their super duper HD or whatever they are calling it now. Only available to select ISP's and devices.  If you watch streaming video on a large enough display you can certainly see a difference between it and any other pay for provider.  And i'm on a 145" screen so I can see every imperfection.

#87 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I read on DSLReports all the time of people who talk about how they are only subscribed to internet and/or phone service that knowingly and willingly split the incoming line and connect it to their TV and that is most definitely cable theft.

Exactly.  It is too expensive for Comcast/other providers to go out and put a filter on every line that gets Internet service without TV service, so they don't do it.  But you are supposed to unhook it from your TVs and stop using the service.  Not doing so is considered theft like the others have mentioned.  Just like if you find a wallet, or other valuable item on the street and don't do anything to try to return it to it's rightful owner that too is considered theft.  And yes, if your paperboy continues delivering your paper after you stopped your subscription and you keep taking it and reading it, that too is theft.  It's highly unlikely you would ever get sued or arrested for it, but it is theft.

People doing just what you are suggesting is why Comcast and the other cable companies have recently asked and received permission from the FCC to now start scrambling all channels on their cable systems.  So the days of clear QAM will be coming to an end pretty soon.  Scrambling all channels and providing low cost DTAs to customers paying for TV service is more economical than putting filters on all the lines. 

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#88 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

If there is a low cost cable TV option, they sure don't tell you about it. Everyone I have talked to, who has tried to lower their bill with Comcast, is usually offered $20.00 a month off of a high end package in exchange for a 2 year commitment. That is why they are dropping the service.

#89 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

BTW, I only hooked up my cable to a TV to see if what I was being told by others was correct about "free" content. I have a 4 HR series DVR's and a full subscription to DirecTV.

#90 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Satellite can't even come close to the $49 I'm paying for cable, my 8-tuner WMC whole home DVR and 5 client boxes ($2/month for the entire system). They don't charge extra for HD either. After 2 yrs price goes up to $70-something which is still a lot less than the same package at DirecTV. Another benefit is I get all my locals without having an antenna, and I can actually watch SD channels without being compelled to gouge my eyes out as was the case with DirecTV.

This isn't cord cutting, but it isn't cable theft either, which some equate to cord cutting for some strange reason. When you keep the cord and just stop paying for it, that's not cord cutting. That's stealing.

#91 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Satellite can't even come close to the $49 I'm paying for cable, my 8-tuner WMC whole home DVR and 5 client boxes ($2/month for the entire system). They don't charge extra for HD either. After 2 yrs price goes up to $70-something which is still a lot less than the same package at DirecTV. Another benefit is I get all my locals without having an antenna, and I can actually watch SD channels without being compelled to gouge my eyes out as was the case with DirecTV.

This isn't cord cutting, but it isn't cable theft either, which some equate to cord cutting for some strange reason. When you keep the cord and just stop paying for it, that's not cord cutting. That's stealing.

Who is your provider and where are you located?  I pay nearly $80/month for cable and I just have the basic package with about 70 HD channels and another 20 or so SD channels, including $2/month to rent a cable card for my Tivo.

#92 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Who is your provider and where are you located?  I pay nearly $80/month for cable and I just have the basic package with about 70 HD channels and another 20 or so SD channels, including $2/month to rent a cable card for my Tivo.

Charter in the southeast. Normal price for my package is $69.99. I get about 75 HD channels in my mid-tier package (nearly everything except movie channels). I can't say how many SD because there is so much overlap with the HD versions, maybe 40 that I have in my fav lists that don't have HD versions. My cable card is $2/month as well, so I'm guessing you have Charter too? Do you have Tivo lifetime or a monthly fee?

#93 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Charter in the southeast. Normal price for my package is $69.99. I get about 75 HD channels in my mid-tier package (nearly everything except movie channels). I can't say how many SD because there is so much overlap with the HD versions, maybe 40 that I have in my fav lists that don't have HD versions. My cable card is $2/month as well, so I'm guessing you have Charter too? Do you have Tivo lifetime or a monthly fee?

I'm Mediacom, not Charter. I'm not sure of the exact price but mine may be $69.99 before all the various taxes and fees are included, so I guess our packages are probably pretty comparable. I can't get any discounts from them because I use DSL and have no interest in accepting the reliability of any cable provider for my internet. Seems like you can only get discounts from them if you want a triple play or a high end package including all the movie channels.

My Tivo is lifetime, paid $299 for it with MSD. I can't see why anyone would ever pay monthly unless they're really scared the lifetime of the box will be less than 2-3 years.

#94 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Some of the prices being listed here are insane. Trying signing up for TV/Internet in New Orleans and even with Cox and their 5-6 months low offers....people like me paid well over $115 for basic packages of both

#95 ONLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

May not be appropriate in this thread, but I'd like to hear more about your setup. Maybe post something in this underused forum: http://www.dbstalk.c...eous-equipment/

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#96 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I was paying $45/month with Dish for their dish america silver package and DVR. Was a great deal.  And that was the out of contract price.

#97 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I was paying $45/month with Dish for their dish america silver package and DVR. Was a great deal.  And that was the out of contract price.

Dish does have some really cheap packages, but you get what you pay for. That one, for example, only has 34 HD channels, and just a total 54 of including SD. So it is cheap, but you don't get much content.

#98 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Dish does have some really cheap packages, but you get what you pay for. That one, for example, only has 34 HD channels, and just a total 54 of including SD. So it is cheap, but you don't get much content.

I understand what you are saying, but if they had the right channels in those cheaper packages it would be more channels than I currently watch!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#99 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Looks like Dish is planning for the future at least...

http://money.msn.com...415&id=16351863

I really do think for the 'masses' things are going to change in the near future. Why pay for channel after channel of crap when you can go online and get 'most' of what you want

I agree. I think this is going to catch on fast, especially with younger people. A couple of years ago when a co worker of mine told me he was cutting the cord, I thought he was nuts, but here I am now doing the same thing.

I thought the amount of content would be the issue, but just the opposite. We have at least 20 shows/movies queued. Loving Amazon Prime. Hulu in my opinion is just ok. Just started to watch Justified...I have a lot of catching up to do.

#100 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

I understand what you are saying, but if they had the right channels in those cheaper packages it would be more channels than I currently watch!   :)

Amen. Like most people, I have to subscribe to the 250 channel package to get the dozen channels I watch.

In the not so distant future, I can definitely see cutting the cord once all my kids leave home. OTA, Hulu, BBC, Netflix and Redbox should give me most of the content I want. Sitting through the commercials on Hulu is pretty brutal, but it's a small price to pay considering the money I'd be saving. The only thing that could make cable/satellite compelling would be a la carte. But that probably won't happen in my lifetime.

spam firewall