Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Opinions on "Cord Cutting"

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hulu in my opinion is just ok.

Since we're expressing opinions on cord-cutting options, I'm of the opinion that Hulu isn't even OK. You pay for a subscription and you still get ads? And I believe there are shows you still have to watch on the computer and can't watch on a BD player or Roku with Hulu Plus. That's BS and that's why Hulu is crap, IMO.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Since we're expressing opinions on cord-cutting options, I'm of the opinion that Hulu isn't even OK. You pay for a subscription and you still get ads? And I believe there are shows you still have to watch on the computer and can't watch on a BD player or Roku with Hulu Plus. That's BS and that's why Hulu is crap, IMO.

I completely agree! Subscription service with ads, minimal content, some of which still expires, limitations on what can be watched on non-PC devices. Not a lot of bang for your buck.

#103 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Dish does have some really cheap packages, but you get what you pay for. That one, for example, only has 34 HD channels, and just a total 54 of including SD. So it is cheap, but you don't get much content.

True. But it has everything I want. 

#104 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yup, I'll agree with that.  Altho it does come in handy at times.  

Rich

#105 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Yup, I'll agree with that.  Altho it does come in handy at times.  

Rich

The free Hulu version, Rich? Yeah, I'd agree with that for missed or incomplete recordings on the DVR. I was mostly venting on the pay Plus version

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#106 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

The free Hulu version, Rich? Yeah, I'd agree with that for missed or incomplete recordings on the DVR. I was mostly venting on the pay Plus version

No, I meant Hulu +.  

Rich

#107 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

We moved out of state for a job and the local sports in our new town didn't interest us. That made it easy to cut the cord as we could get games for the teams we follow easily through league subcriptions.

We were paying $120 ($1440) a month for TV before moving. That included pretty much all channels including HBO, Showtime, Starts, and Cinemax.

Now we have: Amazon prime (I consider this free as we get it for the free shipping option since we buy a lot from them), Netflix with 2 DVDs ($120), Hulu Plus ($96), MLB subscription ($120), NFL through PS3 ($300), 4 months of Soccer 2 go ($40), we average about 5 movies a month from Red Box ($90), Game of Thrones Season ($19). Total $785

Hardware added: WinTV-HVR-2250 $129. Dual OTA recording. I repurposed an older PC with Win7 and Windows Media Player for OTA.

I already had PS3 for all the Internet based content and Blu Ray DVDs. I had a Logitech Google TV that we use for the second TV.

Total savings for first year: $526. On-going: $655 per year.

Pros: Savings. Mostly ad free experience. We pay only for what we watch. Hulu plus acts as a "cloud" DVR since it has full season of series. Able to watch out of town games.

Cons: Ads in Hulu Plus, although they are just a handful per program. Stil expensive for sports, specially for NFL. The PS3 app says that they have a limited amount of people that can subscribe to the NFL package. HTPC is noisy.

Posible tweaks: Eliminate NFL package for $300. We will consider changing to the going to the bar plan :). Eliminate Soccer2go for $40. I decided against getting the NHL package that was $50 this year. I didn't miss it at all. Get a Roku player for the main TV and move the PS3 back to the second TV.

Wishes: If Redbox can rent a movie for $1.50 why can't the streamers like Vudu or Amazon do the same? For NFL, I would like them to offer a single team subscription or even the Red Zone channel only option for a reduced price. Same for the other leagues. Amazon needs a much improved interface. I would consider TiVo if the subscription was $5 a month. $15 a month to get the guide is excesive. The cable premium channels like HBO Go should offer an Internet only subscription. Offer a $10 a month plan in Hulu Plus and eliminate all ads.

All an all there is tons of content available and there is alwasy something to watch at a much reduced price.

Edited by koji68, 21 April 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#108 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm on my last contract.  I seriously considered cutting the cord before I signed up for this last one, but decided to wait until my youngest leaves the nest.  If I get enough internet speed by then I might do Hulu, Prime, or something similar, if not just OTA.

#109 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,394 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

koji68:

You don't have to pay monthly with Tivo, you can pay upfront for lifetime service. It is either $399 or $499 (the lesser price if you already have a Tivo) for the lifetime of the receiver, not your lifetime. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but the resale value of used Tivos with lifetime is great. I bought a Tivo Premiere with lifetime for $530 three years ago - $199 for the Tivo, $299 at the older discounted lifetime service price, $30 for a three year extended warranty that runs out any day now. If you look on Ebay there are plenty of people bidding $400 or more for a used Premiere with lifetime. If I sold it today it would be like getting the Tivo for free and paying $3/month. Even the last generation Series 3/HD sells for well over $300 used with lifetime. I honestly don't know why anyone would pay monthly!

I guess the reason so many people do pay monthly is because they don't realize the type of resale value they command, or they're worried they'll pay for lifetime and have it die on them right after the warranty expires. It's possible I could be one of the unlucky few and my Tivo could die next month just after my extended warranty period is over, but I felt comfortable with the decision because I know these things are built really well. There are a lot of Series 2 Tivos still alive and kicking. I owned one for nearly a decade until it finally quit about a year ago.

If you're unhappy with the noise your HTPC makes, you should give Tivo a second look. Mine is very quiet, unless you get within 2-3 feet of it you can't hear it at all even when the TV is off, and it is sitting on an open shelf not a glass cabinet. They are starting to offer discounts on the Premiere a bit more often lately, which probably means there will be a 5th generation model coming out sometime within the next year. Since you would be interested in OTA recording either a used Series 3/HD or a new Premiere (but not the 4 tuner Premiere 4 which can't do OTA) would work for you. If you're fine with the HTPC for now, you might wait a bit for the Series 5 to come out, see what it offers, and see what kind of discounts that may be offered on the Premiere at that time.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#110 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think I've come up with a new plan for my 'cord-cutting' in that I'll 'buy' a couple of HR24s and send my leased boxes back.  I'll then only subscribe to DirecTV for Sunday Ticket games and only be paying for 4 months a year.  The rest of the year I'll use OTA, NetFlix and Hulu - maybe even get an OTA Tivo.  It would be very painful to go back to live OTA commercials and all so I'll have to factor in Tivo costs....

The first year will not save that much because of the money I'd have to spend on Tivo and Hulu but it at current DirecTV prices it doesn't take long to pay for the Tivo hardware and lifetime subscription.  Year 2 and on will be a substantial savings with very little lost other than the convenience of DirecTV.

Now I just have to convince the rest of the clan that this is a good idea!  With the latest round of screwed updates by DirecTV I'm hoping that won't be too difficult.

#111 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think I've come up with a new plan for my 'cord-cutting' in that I'll 'buy' a couple of HR24s and send my leased boxes back.  I'll then only subscribe to DirecTV for Sunday Ticket games and only be paying for 4 months a year.  The rest of the year I'll use OTA, NetFlix and Hulu - maybe even get an OTA Tivo.  It would be very painful to go back to live OTA commercials and all so I'll have to factor in Tivo costs....

The first year will not save that much because of the money I'd have to spend on Tivo and Hulu but it at current DirecTV prices it doesn't take long to pay for the Tivo hardware and lifetime subscription.  Year 2 and on will be a substantial savings with very little lost other than the convenience of DirecTV.

Now I just have to convince the rest of the clan that this is a good idea!  With the latest round of screwed updates by DirecTV I'm hoping that won't be too difficult.

You could just buy a Playstation 3 and get Sunday Ticket that way.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#112 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Really?  I'll have to look into that - could be the answer for me.  Thanks!

#113 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Looks like it's not quite so easy...

According to the legal speak... "In order to download the Application and access the Service, you must have answered "No" to the question "Are you able to get DIRECTV Satellite Television at your current address?"

#114 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Looks like it's not quite so easy...

According to the legal speak... "In order to download the Application and access the Service, you must have answered "No" to the question "Are you able to get DIRECTV Satellite Television at your current address?"

And therein lies the problem. I looked into a similar setup and actually took the plunge for about a week, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. While its true that you can get a lot of programming in other ways its certainly not intuitive or easy. I basically had created a second hobby for myself. Plus, the ST offering on Ps3 still won't give you access to MNF or TNF games and also costs a bit more than ST through DTV service. I realized that with DTV I'm paying for more than just programming; you can get programming all over the Internet but with DTV you get the best HD picture, up to 5 tuners (depending on your receiver), exclusive sports packages like NFLST, and the convenience of having everything together in one easy-to-use interface. In the end it was simply a better option for me to stay. I am paying a bit more than a straight OTA/Internet option but I get EVERYTHING I need ( not true with Internet options) and its just way more convenient.

#115 OFFLINE   Neilkn

Neilkn

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I just cut the cord ... and went to AT&T Uverse. I have absolutely no interest in sports, and I do not believe in supporting the outrageous salaries that these idiots get for being full of themselves and mostly obnoxious. We are already screwed by higher prices in everything to support the salaries made by "professional athletes." The reason that I cut the cord though is that Directv told me to. When I called to complain that I was paying $40 more per month than a new customer pays AFTER their one-year promotional price expired, they offered me a $10/month cut. Uhhh ... basic math tells me that I would then be paying $30/month more ... for the same programming package. Oh yeah, I was "grandfathered in" on the previous version of the Select 200 (I think it was called) which was different than the new version ... or so I was told. Strange that comparing the two on line .. they were the same exact channels?? The customer rep for Directv told me if I didn't like it, move on. So I did. Of course, when I called to cancel service AFTER Uverse was installed, they apologized profusely and tried to make me all kinds of offers. I told them it was too late, they should have treated me as a valued customer when I first called .... especially after being with Directv for about 5 years. I'm saving $50/month now overall with AT&T going with Internet, phone, and TV, and moved up from 3 MB Internet (lucky to get 2.5 down) to 18 MB Internet and pulling 17.5 on downloads, and 1.5MB on uploads compared to my previous 300 kb.

The picture is not quite as good quality as it was with Directv ... less sharp, not quite as high definition, though it is HD. We do like the options offered by AT&T better, a better set top box and we don't have to pay even more for the whole house DVR like Directv's Genie. And although pay per view movies aren't quite as good quality, our Apple TV and Netflix movies ARE as good as Blueray disks. We'll stay with AT&T for our 1 year contract, and perhaps the 2nd year as they locked the price in for 2 years with a 1 year contract on our part. Then we'll see who beats who ... Directv or Uverse price-wise. If you have to play the game to be treated decently by them ... so be it.

#116 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I just cut the cord ... and went to AT&T Uverse. I have absolutely no interest in sports, and I do not believe in supporting the outrageous salaries that these idiots get for being full of themselves and mostly obnoxious. We are already screwed by higher prices in everything to support the salaries made by "professional athletes."

That's not cutting the cord.

I find it funny you don't "believe in supporting the outrageous salaries that these idiots get for being full of themselves and mostly obnoxious...", but you support TV and movie actors who are pretty much the exact same with "outrageous salaries that these idiots get for being full of themselves and mostly obnoxious."

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#117 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Cutting the cord, in my friends situation, was getting rid of cable TV, DVR, and home phone! She walked into Comcast and cancelled her entire account of 20+ years. She did sign up with Centurylink for internet only and did bundle her Verizon cell phone with them.

#118 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

I just cut the cord ... and went to AT&T Uverse.

That's not cutting the cord.

Agreed. That's switching providers, cord cutting is doing without a pay TV option and using antenna and streaming video for your entertainment offerings.

• sigma1914 likes this

#119 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

While I have not yet 'cut the cord' I do have a Roku box and so far I am very happy with it and what I can get from the Internet! A couple of nights ago I watched "Forbidden Planet" via Amazon Prime, and the quality was outstanding....first time I had ever seen it in color and widescreen. It streamed almost perfectly with just the odd dropped frame, and this was during prime time (early evening). Even better was the complete lack of commercials, logos, bugs, ads during the show and other screen clutter. I have given up on all network programming account all of the screen clutter and I have cut back on other programming as the screen clutter gets worse and worse (Nat Geo channel really got bad in the last year or so, along with CNBC and the Science Channel).

Right now my DTV dish has a marginal LNB, and while I will likely buy and install a new one, i am still comparing the two different ways of getting content. I also have a large outdoor antenna that gets over 60 channels (all of the Phoenix and Tucson AZ channels) although about half of them are junk.

We'll see.....

Ted

Edited by ACR_Ted, 23 April 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#120 OFFLINE   Neilkn

Neilkn

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

My apologies, I didn't interpret "cutting the cord" as physically doing so, getting rid of the cable cord, but as breaking away from your ties to a lousy service, or one that doesn't listen to its customers. So I apparently jumped in the wrong place and should have read more. As for supporting the Hollywood version of the greedy, overpaid idiots ... nope, I don't do that either. I watch mostly education type shows, How Did They Do It, How Is It Made, Animal Planet where the cast doesn't get much in the way of wages, and others along that line. No problem though ... I will quietly move on and apologize for mis-interpreting the fan-boys thread.  :bang

Protected By... spam firewall...And...