Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hannibal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

The jury is still out after ep 1, at least for me. Creepy? You betcha. The guys who put this together could send Kevin Williamson and his crew from The Following to school; they have crafted everything just right and hit all the right notes, making TF look like a high school play for its comparative ham-handedness and hackey slasher-film approach. They also added a nice "Trent Reznor"-inspired theme.

I am new to Hugh Dancy, but I am not all that impressed with his portrayal here. Asberger's done right was "Gary" in Alphas. This is not even close to believable. But they could not have found a creepier "Hannibal".

So the food scenes are really creepy. The "eggs and sausage" sounds good, but I think I will pass. There was one shot of the sausage that made you think it might be someone's little finger. If this lead character ever realizes what Hannibal is up to, he will puke for a month.

It was a little hard to follow; as a viewer we have no clear idea when the protagonist is lucid and when he is in some sort of dream state, so when the victim appeared back in her bed (sorry for the minor spoiler) we were not sure if that really happened or not. Very confusing.

It'll probably take a couple more eps to see if things actually gel, or if they have gone off the rails having no real idea what they are doing.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Whether Minor or not, you are not supposed to post spoilers or details about episodes unless the original air date is mentioned in the title.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'm not a TV series person but I did enjoy the Lecter movies.

For some reason, maybe it's just me, I sometimes have trouble understanding what Hannibal is saying in this incarnation.

Still, I really like what they've done with the Will Graham character in this series and I'm going to watch for a few episodes to see if I like them.

In some scenes you are not supposed to know at first if what is happening is real or not. Surely some TV shows do that? It is not unusual in movies and I don't have a problem with it.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Whether Minor or not, you are not supposed to post spoilers or details about episodes unless the original air date is mentioned in the title.

I love ya, but please.

The last thing we need is a lecture on your rules.

Thanks for being the hall monitor we all grew up detesting.

It was hardly even a spoiler at all, ferchrissake. If you want a spoiler, just read USA Today; they would publish a headline the next morning about a major character's demise on Lost from the night before. Now that's a spoiler, which is defined as "spoils" your enjoyment of the show because you got pertinent info too soon. This was not that. Since there has been only one ep, that means the OAD was implied.

Oh, and BTW, Tony Perkins turns out to be his own mother in Psycho.:hurah:

That's just how I roll.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Oh, and BTW, Tony Perkins turns out to be his own mother in Psycho.:hurah:

Oh... now you've ruined Bates Motel for me. :lol:
  • russ9 likes this
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I love ya, but please.

The last thing we need is a lecture on your rules.

Not a lecture, just pointing out forum rules and etiquette since obviously you were unaware.

It was hardly even a spoiler at all, ferchrissake.

Hardly a spoiler? Minor spoiler? There's no such distinction. A spoiler is a spoiler. When the thread title is generic and not about a specific episode, spoilers shouldn't be in it - and you are the one that pointed out it was a spoiler.

If you want a spoiler, just read USA Today; they would publish a headline the next morning about a major character's demise on Lost from the night before. Now that's a spoiler, which is defined as "spoils" your enjoyment of the show because you got pertinent info too soon. This was not that. Since there has been only one ep, that means the OAD was implied.

First, I don't want spoilers so I don't read the things that might contain them. And yes, knowing the "victim" appears back in her bed woiuld certainly be considered something that could "spoil" part of the show for those that haven't seen it. The OAD is never implied, because there's many threads about shows that are general talk or about shows that haven't even aired yet

Just apologize and get on with it. You don't have to defend everything you do with several paragraphs, especially when you're clearly in the wrong (although I realize that's how you roll).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

So far the good news is that I am liking this show. The bad news is I don't know why.

#8 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I wish there was a little more of Caroline Dhavernas.

Hope they do a storyline later in the season where she starts imagining inanimate objects talking to her.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#9 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

nd

I wish there was a little more of Caroline Dhavernas.

Hope they do a storyline later in the season where she starts imagining inanimate objects talking to her.

Several references to Wonderfalls in the 2 episode, including a whole character!

#10 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm not a TV series person but I did enjoy the Lecter movies.

For some reason, maybe it's just me, I sometimes have trouble understanding what Hannibal is saying in this incarnation.

Agreed; I find myself asking, "What did he say?" a couple times every show. He is certainly a new flavor of Lecter but one that is winning me over. When he caught the naughty girl eavesdropping and started toying withy her, that was good fun.
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

...Just apologize and get on with it...

OK. I'm sorry that you are so annoying and intolerant.

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

nd
Several references to Wonderfalls in the 2 episode, including a whole character!

Not unexpected, but interesting. Examples, please?

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

... I find myself asking, "What did he say?" a couple times every show. He is certainly a new flavor of Lecter but one that is winning me over....

Me too. Part of understanding a conversation is based on expectation (we expect folks to talk like everyone else, or at least like us). We can hear all of the words and everything, but still not put it together sometimes without that aspect.

So yes, I think this is one of those situations, and I am always fascinated by that. Justified is a little like that because most of the rest of us don't think in the same sorts of patterns as isolated poor hillbilly thugs. One of my favorite shows was The Unit, which may still run on MyTV. One of the things I liked about it was that it seemed to sort of have its own language, especially the byplay between Unit members. That sort of added a hyper-realistic aspect to it. Not just different buzzwords but actual speech patterns. Flashpoint seems to have a touch of that also...I have to have CC on sometimes to follow that one.

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

NBC is pulling next week's ep in light of the Boston bombing.

http://tvbythenumber...TVbytheNumbers)

NBC made the original decision to air a disturbing series about disturbed people who do disturbing things, which I thought was a little brave of them. But now they seem to be blinking at the slightest bump in the road, which is anything but brave. And because of their skittishness, folks who signed on to watch this series will be deprived of this ep. That is what I find disturbing. Not as disturbing as terrorism, granted, but an annoying over-reaction just the same.

What does a storyline about children compelling other children to murder others have to do with an act of terrorism? Nothing. What about this storyline is unnaceptable today that was acceptable yesterday? Nothing, it has been in the can all along so nothing has changed. Would a storyline about a mass murderer who likes to grow mushrooms on his victims which was acceptable before Boston and equally totally not connected to Boston be suddenly unacceptable after Boston? Would not surprise me. Twenty murdered grade-school children can't compel congress to do anything about background checks or loopholes, yet something happens on one coast that is not totally unexpected and is indeed totally unrelated, and NBC caves.

Smooth move, sheeple.

#15 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Not unexpected, but interesting. Examples, please?

Spoiler

#16 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Guess I'll continue to enjoy this show..... :)

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Moderator interjection... there are forum rules, and posting un-aired details without the use of spoiler tags is against those. Beyond that, please don't attack each other instead of the topic going forward.  Thanks!

For future reference please refer to the forum rules:

TV Show Talk Forum Rules

• Rich likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,760 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

It been picked up for a third and hopefully its final season.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

It been picked up for a third and hopefully its final season.

I just watched the first season on DVDs from NF.  Not sure if I want to watch the second season.  I've read all the books and watched all the movies and liked them all, but the TV series I just watched took me a bit of time to wade thru.  I have always wondered what a psychiatrist might make of Thomas Harris and his books.  

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm impressed with the sets and the location shoots.  The dark scenes play well on my plasma set.  Surprising and imaginative um, demises . . .

spam firewall