Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling 922 DVD shutting itself off & fan running full speed? ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   speedmaster

speedmaster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

We're on our second 922 DVR in about 18 months (first one just died, hard disk I think) and generally love it. But over the last week it's been acting odd.

Several times I've come into the room to see the DVR apaprently off, no lights whatsoever on the front panel lit up, and a _very_ loud whirring noise. It sounds like the fan is cranked-up all the way. No pressing of buttons on the DVR itself or the remote changes this. The only thing I can do is unplug it for a minute or two.

After that it's usually good for maybe 1/2 a day. Then it happens again. I wouldn't think it's overheating, there's plenty of airflow space around it on all sides, and it's in a very roomy cabinet off the floor with no doors.

Any ideas? My guess is it's toast? If it is dead, any chance Dish might upgrade me to a Hopper? We've been customers for about 15 years.

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Edited by speedmaster, 09 April 2013 - 07:34 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

It is either overheating or the temperature sensor thinks it is overheating. Does any part of it feel hot when this occurs?

It could be overheating due to internal problems if the ventilation is good. Either way, I would either see if a DiRT member will respond or call and ask for a new receiver (and why not ask about the Hopper?).
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#3 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

We're on our second 922 DVR in about 18 months (first one just died, hard disk I think) and generally love it. But over the last week it's been acting odd.

Several times I've come into the room to see the DVR apaprently off, no lights whatsoever on the front panel lit up, and a _very_ loud whirring noise. It sounds like the fan is cranked-up all the way. No pressing of buttons on the DVR itself or the remote changes this. The only thing I can do is unplug it for a minute or two.

After that it's usually good for maybe 1/2 a day. Then it happens again. I wouldn't think it's overheating, there's plenty of airflow space around it on all sides, and it's in a very roomy cabinet off the floor with no doors.

Any ideas? My guess is it's toast? If it is dead, any chance Dish might upgrade me to a Hopper? We've been customers for about 15 years.

Chris

You are lucky, I am on my 4th one in two months and just today it is beginning to act up. My second one was doing what you describe your's as doing. I am sure they will upgrade you for a price and a 2-year commitment.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Unfamiliar with specifics on 922s, but could hard drive make a sound like the fan ??

#5 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Chris

Hi Chris, with the sound you’re hearing it could be overheating. Is the DVR getting direct sunlight? Are there a lot of devices like a computer tower next to the 922?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Unfamiliar with specifics on 922s, but could hard drive make a sound like the fan ??

perhaps you are using computers (desktops) while typing posts here ;)
HDDs using in DVR are the same as in desktops - listen to them ...

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Did you receive any information about upgrading to the Hopper?  If not, please PM me your account number and I can provide you information about an upgrade.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Chris

spam firewall