Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 and single lnb dish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have an old 501 with a single 1996 lnb dish looking at 119. If I point it east to one of the newer sattelites, can it receive them? Is there another sattelite like 119 that has most programming in it?
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

there are more dish sats; for your SD PVR, it's matter of second sat at 110W; use twin LNBF for that
check http://www.lyngsat.c...es/dish110.html for channels on each sat

#3 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

So nothing further east like 61.5 or 77 like my other receivers use? I guess I'll have to stay with 119 then. I am always concerned that dish will retire that location.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#4 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

So nothing further east like 61.5 or 77 like my other receivers use? I guess I'll have to stay with 119 then. I am always concerned that dish will retire that location.

DISH will be retiring your 501 long before they retire the 119w slot.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

The 501 is not useful for the Eastern Arc satellites. There may be a few channels left, but they aren't likely to be compatible for long.

Any particular reason you feel compelled to go with a 17 year old setup pointed at the slot with the lowest number of channels?

I'm dubious that DISH would allow activation of a 501 anymore.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Because I own it. No fees. I only use it 5-6 times a year. I find it convenient to use, but would find another kind of entertainment if it were retired.

I started looking around since it has started having issues. I am almost ready to admit it's the lnb. The reciever seems fine. I cut down a tree that was growing close to too high last year. Now it's starting to have signal drop problems again.

Since I may need a new lnb, I may end up using a different dish too. Was looking at what else to point at. I have an old superdish 500 on the shelf, but the idiot installer who removed it from my roof twisted the mount. Grrrr. I may try it anyhow. It can do 119 and 110, so might even be better. Except, I think there is another tree in the way of 110.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#7 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Get a 211 receiver and aim at 72.7 for a $40 fee you can convert it to a DVR so it would be about the equivalent of the 501.  211 W/DVR does not have monthly fees for DVR.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...