Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gateway to buy EMachines

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:22 PM

http://www.omaha.com...07&u_sid=990551

By ELLIOT SPAGAT

AP Business Writer

SAN DIEGO (AP) - In its latest attempt to find profits in the notoriously low-margin personal computer business, Gateway Inc. will buy privately held eMachines Inc. in a deal valued at $235 million.

The combined company would still trail Dell Inc. and Hewlett-Packard Co., but executives hope the increased volume will give it more leverage in negotiating with suppliers. A similar argument was made when HP announced it was buying Compaq Computer Corp. in 2001.

''There's an element of last man standing here,'' said Roger Kay, an analyst at the research firm IDC. ''The PC industry is definitely consolidating and, at this stage, bulk counts.''

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:24 AM

Should we expect lower pricing for even the cheapest laptops and desktops that is currently available or is this just a way to maximize their profit margins instead of lowering the prices, or some of both?

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:02 PM

No, I expect nothing will change, the e-machines will continue to be the cheapies found at BB and CC, Gateways will still cost the same and found only in the Gateway stores, they will now just be the same basic machines but with a different name, I found it interesting that Gateway is buying e-machines, however the CEO of e-Machines is now going to be the new CEO of Gateway. I guess Gateway not only bought e-machines but the CEO too :D ,

#4 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:01 PM

No, I expect nothing will change, the e-machines will continue to be the cheapies found at BB and CC, Gateways will still cost the same and found only in the Gateway stores, they will now just be the same basic machines but with a different name, I found it interesting that Gateway is buying e-machines, however the CEO of e-Machines is now going to be the new CEO of Gateway. I guess Gateway not only bought e-machines but the CEO too :D ,

I expect more to change than that. Obviously the change in CEOs is being done for a purpose. I expect to see the price of Gateways to drop. One big question is, will the Gateway stores still exist by the end of the year?

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:06 PM

Not some of them if any, if they are costing them more money than what they are making. I seen a Dell computer with free shipping for $349 although that is without a monitor but those can be found cheap. Some that are just upgrading their computer will not need the monitor anyways.

#6 OFFLINE   Dave04

Dave04

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 02:12 PM

Not some of them if any, if they are costing them more money than what they are making. I seen a Dell computer with free shipping for $349 although that is without a monitor but those can be found cheap. Some that are just upgrading their computer will not need the monitor anyways.

But Dell's laptop price is still at unaffordable price... Wish a decent laptop could be in that price range.

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,303 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 February 2004 - 07:21 PM

I'm not sure what you consider "affordable" or "decent", but you can get a new 2+gHz laptop for under $600.

I just did.

-- including LCD monitor ::lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:27 PM

Nick, what did you get? Before I have my next surgery I want a new laptop. To hard to get down the stairs to the office for the first month, and my old laptop is just too slow. Can't even play any decent games on it. :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,303 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:57 PM

I got a Compaq literally as it was coming off the shelf and put on open-box special @ CC, warranted as a brand new new unit. Compaq series 2700, 2.0 gHz, 30gb, 256mb, 10/100, CD-r/DVD, 15" tft screen. $799, -$200 = $599 net.

I had been staying in close touch with the pc guy @ my local CC and he gave me a heads-up on the model change-out date. Personal, frequent contact with mgrs and key sales people is the secret - keeping in touch and letting them know what you want.

Hope you find a good deal that suits your needs.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:12 PM

I expect more to change than that. Obviously the change in CEOs is being done for a purpose. I expect to see the price of Gateways to drop. One big question is, will the Gateway stores still exist by the end of the year?

You gotta luv a CEO (make that former CEO) with a pony tail, but I'm gonna guess that GW will be toast in less than 2 yrs. Ted W. came back to right the ship, but they're still listing to port. Hope I'm wrong, but these guys seem to be adrift.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#11 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:20 PM

Nick, what did you get? Before I have my next surgery I want a new laptop. To hard to get down the stairs to the office for the first month, and my old laptop is just too slow. Can't even play any decent games on it. :lol:

I wouldn't go for a low ball solutions. And if you don't have broadband (particularly if you work from home) check it out as well. I'd take a look at the Dell Inspirons. I've been using a 600m for close to a year. Great machine. Comes with 802.11b capabilities and no external antenna. My wife (the PK), two teenager daughters and I lug the two laptops we've got all over the house.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#12 OFFLINE   Dave04

Dave04

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:15 AM

I got a Compaq literally as it was coming off the shelf and put on open-box special @ CC, warranted as a brand new new unit. Compaq series 2700, 2.0 gHz, 30gb, 256mb, 10/100, CD-r/DVD, 15" tft screen. $799, -$200 = $599 net.

I had been staying in close touch with the pc guy @ my local CC and he gave me a heads-up on the model change-out date. Personal, frequent contact with mgrs and key sales people is the secret - keeping in touch and letting them know what you want.

Hope you find a good deal that suits your needs.

I would say that's really a descent 2G laptop..., however, I would like to see it around or below the $500 price mark without the hoopla MSN stuff... I wouldn't mind the rebates though. Preferrable laptop is Dell, GW, Compaq, etc.; but definitely not Emachine... Should I just wait a few more months or years to get that 'descent laptops'? Honestly to say - the laptop price range has dropped down humongously from the $4000-$3000 price range way back then, I have really no complaint about the current price. But I still prefer the laptop price is going down a bit further so I can purchase some for my college kids...Anyways, I am still using a real slow, slow laptop since the beggining of its invention... and it is still kicking slow... and slow... :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,303 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:55 AM

I wouldn't go for a low ball solutions...I've been using a 600m for close to a year...

??? Your machine is "600m" (I assume you mean 600 mHz) and my so-called "low-ball solution" is 2 gHz? I think you're just miffed because I have a much faster machine that cost probably 1/4 what you paid for yours just a year ago.

My current laptop suits my needs just fine and then some. Just because I am good at "the art of the deal", don't try to pee on my parade because you probably paid more for your 600 mHz machine a year ago than you should have. My policy is 'never pay retail'.

Oh, and one more thing. I take my laptop to the mall, the car dealership, on the road, virtually anywhere and I have continuous, unlimited 'always-on' wireless access to the Internet. I often ride around looking at real estate investment properties while accessing the various realtors' sites from the comfort of my car.

Not too shabby for what you refer to as a "low-ball solution", don't you think?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:55 AM

Nick, I need to go down to my local CC and see what they are clearing out. Hit the news yesterday that the CC here is one that is being closed. They are going to be clearing out all the open box and floor model stuff, and shipping out the in box to other stores.

What I have done for most (all?) of my computers is buy stuff that businesses are selling or is coming off lease. Commercial grade at a fraction of the price. The laptop I have now is a Toshiba 150 Pentium, $4500 new, about 2 years old I paid $600. If I do this again I've been pricing P3 500's to P4's from $350 to $600, depending on drives, screen size, etc.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

I’ve always said my next computer would be a laptop, and I considered it briefly, until I started upgrading components and saw the price rise to well over $3K. I’m not a fan of thin and light, I’d want a full desktop replacement with the best of almost everything. Some times I regret not buying a laptop, but I got a better desktop for $2500 then a notebook at $3500.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,303 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:27 PM

...Some times I regret not buying a laptop, but I got a better desktop for $2500 then a notebook at $3500.

Steve, unless your $3500 notebook performs oral sex :grin:, you paid wa-a-y too much.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 06:24 PM

I didn't buy the laptop, that's what it would have cost if I wanted to buy it. I decided on a desktop instead which did cost $2500. But it was money well spent :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#18 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:20 PM

600m is not meaning 600 MHZ, it is the the model number of a Dell Computer.

I currently have an Inspiron 8500 myself. I got about every option on it, cdrw, dvdrw, built in wireless card, 15.4 XSGA+ widescreen monitor, 512 MB memory, 2.4 Pentium 4 M processor, 40 GB processor, paid $1,600 for it when it retailed for $1,600 knowing I could have gotten a cheaper laptop for half that price but decided to go all out.

#19 OFFLINE   TimL

TimL

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:28 AM

I've had an E-Machines ETower 533i for about 4 years. It has been serviceable for me except I would love to get a bigger HD(80 instead of 8) I just upped the ram from 32 MB to 256 MB and the difference in speed is amazing..almost like a new machine. If I could up the HD, get a little faster processor and get a CD Burner DVD combo Drive I wouldnt have to buy new. I know EMachines is considered the Low end of new computers but I have no complaints. As far as customer service..The company recently sent me a new system restore CD to replace one that had been scratched up. I called on a Sunday afternoon, They sent it out Monday (I think from California) and had it fed-exed to me in Ohio by Tuesday Afternoon..for just $20.00. I think that is excellent for service with a 4 year old (Out of Warranty) computer..and the Tech didnt even charge me for the phone call. Very good service In my opinion

Tim Lones

#20 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:36 AM

I have had my E-Machines 566i for about four years and it has a 20GB hard drive and 566 MHZ, along with 64 MB of memory and a DVD player and CD burner. Good for its time and still functional today good for web browsing and some other things. It has never broke down on me and has always worked, although it started getting buggy but I reinstalled Windows 98SE and it works great again without the bugs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...