Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

What I mean is, when I was here before everyone talked up Directv like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now, it seems like it's just one of many choices you could have made for tv service.

Has anything changed as far as customer service, underhanded dealings by directv (such as free NFL Ticket that ends up costing you as an example), or anything else? I just want to make sure I made the right choice going back while I still have time to cancel.

So, for the most part is everything hunky dory in the world of Directv? If you could drop the service, would you?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have been a Direct customer for 1 1/2 years, not a long time, but Time Warner Cable sucks in my neck of the woods, and Dish pissed me off while I was a customer (they could not keep a signal to save their life.)

Direct is far and wide a better option in my opinion..

#3 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

They are still my preferred provider, largely because their equipment is head and shoulders above cable.

There was a time, many years ago, when they had: by far best price, by far the best picture, best programming and best equipment. They were head and shoulders above the local cable co.

They no longer have the best price (cable is cheaper by about $25 last I checked); still have a slightly better picture (except SD which is awful); have slightly better programming (channel selection is about equal except the HBOs and ST) and still have the best equipment.

IMO, they are still ahead but the margin is much tighter. I'd still recommend them for those who enjoy more tech, but less so for someone who just wants to watch TV.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#4 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

OK. What I'm really looking for is if they have become less than honorable in their dealings with customers (see aformentioned NFL ticket example). I'm just trying to figure out if I can expect unexpected jumps in monthly bills because they "forgot" that a certain feature is supposed to be free for 12 months, and how difficult it is to rectify such a situation. That kind of thing.

#5 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

I think the customer service is pretty good. I think most people are just tired of the high prices for tv in general. New equipment is sometimes hard to get but can be done if you want a new contract.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

DirecTV is like every TV provider ... It's great for some and not for others.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,665 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

before everyone talked up Directv like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

and still is….:lol:

No seriously, DirecTV has the best "package" all around
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Been with DirecTV since 2008 and would not think about going anywhere else.
  • direct-dish likes this
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I absolutely love D.I have been a loyal customer since May of 1999.I got it for the sports packages,MLB NHL & NFL & the RSN's they have from out outside the NY/NJ area.I would never go back to Comcast after having D.But unfortunatly I will be moving in the next 2-3 months & satellite tv is NOT an option (no LOS).So I am forced to go over to Verizon Fios which is a step or two above Cablevision.Really my only neg on D are the constantly rising prices.When I move into my house or condi in 2014,I will be with D again !
  • direct-dish likes this

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

My signature says it all.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I personally would never consider anyone else. Any deals I've gotten, including one year of free Sunday Ticket I got no surprises. I didn't even have to cancel an autorenewal to not get it the next year.

I however do not have any real knowledge of their tech support, only used them two or three times. For most things, this site is better anyway unless you need a tech, change on account or a box shipped.

#12 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I've been a sub since 2002. Its much better then cable, but at this point, I think the dollar value is not there. ~80 to 90 / month for a basic sub w/ HD and DVR? When I started, the same sub was $40 / month. I've added HD, but getting that for free now. Also added the DVR. That was free when I started. Also think the PQ is not as good as it should be.

#13 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I've been with Dish since 2009 and just had DirecTV installed. The ONLY thing that I prefer Dish over DirecTV is the superstations...that's all. Directv has better equipment, better package options (could only receive the good stations on Dish by getting THE HIGHEST priced package), better incentives, etc.

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I've been with Dish since 2009 and just had DirecTV installed. The ONLY thing that I prefer Dish over DirecTV is the superstations...that's all. Directv has better equipment, better package options (could only receive the good stations on Dish by getting THE HIGHEST priced package), better incentives, etc.

You really want those out of market CW stations that bad?
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'm a Primestar conversion since '98. I used to be a big D* fan. After enough programming price increases and the perpetually slow response of my HR-23, I'm now meh on D*.

Retention gave me just enough in discounts to keep me jumping to a Hopper this year, but it was really close.

#16 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

You really want those out of market CW stations that bad?

I just said the ONLY advantage on Dish was the superstations. DirecTV is the winner

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I just said the ONLY advantage on Dish was the superstations. DirecTV is the winner

I heard ya. I just dont think those SuperStations are worth anything. I guess one of them has some Yankee's games on it but since I am a Red Sox fan I guess I overlook that.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#18 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think Directv customer service has been very good, of course every one can run into a bad situation here and there, but on the whole I have been very happy. The genie dvr is the greatest thing in the world to me, I was visiting my son the other day and he has some cable company, and I almost laughed out loud at his dvr capabilities and the look of the guide was ignorant. I absolutely love the guide, the genie, and the picture quality.

#19 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

I am not considering leaving. I am satisfied with the price, the picture and the equipment.

The HD DVRs are slower than the old DirecTiVO, I'll grant you that but I've been with DirecTV for so long it's just the way things are in my mind and it doesn't bother me.

I have priced other providers including FiOS and Dish. I'd never seriously consider Dish because of service and business management approaches that I don't care for. FiOS makes some pretty tempting offers on paper because I already get my phone and internet over FiOS so adding TV to a triple play bundle is pretty economical...at least at first blush.

The thing I have found with every other provider I have priced out is that getting the same type of equipment I currently enjoy with DirecTV will cost me a bundle elsewhere.

I have 5 HD DVRs (well, one is an R22 with HD but I count it as an HD DVR as far as what it provides to me) and two old DirecTiVOs. I pay a single $10 advanced receiver fee for all of those DVRs and a single $10 advanced receiver fee for HD programming access and that covers all the equipment on my account. If I added more DVRs that would still not go up. $20 covers it for my entire account.

Other providers I have priced charge for each box. There is an additional charge for each DVR and each HD DVR. It adds up quickly so even if the base package is less by the time you add the equipment charges it ends up costing me more to have a comparable setup with another provider. With cable and Dish it isn't even close. My bill would be astronomically higher even with the promotional introductory rates.

FiOS is close for the first 12 months during the introductory pricing but once it escalates to regular price FiOS also costs significantly more for comparable package and equipment.

So not only am I happy with the programming, the picture and the technology/equipment. It is also the most economical option for me.

That is my situation. Circumstances will differ for others with different equipment needs and program package preferences so my advice to everyone making a decision on a provider is to do your homework and price it out with every option. Another provider will be the better choice for some people. It is not for me.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#20 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have been installing my own Directv since 1995. Had to install my first setup that I got at Radio Shack. I have moved and reinstalled my equipment and I have upgraded through having to get a different dish for my locals then another dish for HD. I still use an AT-9 minus the side LNBs which are no longer needed. It has been a fun ride doing it all myself. I would never change.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...