Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I've been satisfied so far with Directv for the programming, and even though I'm not to fond about price increases annually at least it's better than Comcast equipment-wise, Plus the HR24 has been stable and fast responding since I had them 2 years ago, Customer service has to be the best IMO since they gave me free upgrades,credits and discounts, I cant say the same thing for Comcast, even though I have HSI from comcast they are hesitant in giving me any promotion for Internet unless I bundle with cable as I have their phone service also.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think you'll get horror stories from any company but a large portion of that is from customers who don't understand or care to read their agreement. D* is pretty good about giving you what they tell you and you'll be able to see any kind of special offers on your bill.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#23 OFFLINE   glick1

glick1

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Sound drop outs to my AVR while using DD are getting old. I will be leaving soon.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I really haven't had that issue in a while. It was pretty annoying when I had my Onkyo (it clicked when the drops happened), when I got one with HDMI, I went Denon and seemed to mostly have issues with Ice Road Truckers. I got bored with that series, and haven't had an issue.

#25 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:51 AM

OK, yeah this is more the type of comments I remember from back then, so basically there are no surprises to expect. Thanks everybody.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

OK, yeah this is more the type of comments I remember from back then, so basically there are no surprises to expect. Thanks everybody.

Just business as usual, but it's better than using VCRs... :lol:

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   duffytoo

duffytoo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

If you are a sports fan, there is nothing to compete with Direct TV. I'm not happy with the cost but the options are just as expensive.

#28 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Here in DFW the only service I would seriously consider as an alternative is FIOS. Internet is excellent, PQ is very good. Cable is still pretty poor here, PQ and equipment. Don't like Dish business practices. Could save $30 month by going to cable, at least for the first year, but it's not worth all the hassle.
But all the providers are getting too expensive. The ever-increasing cost of sports programming, and retransmission fees for the networks, are going to kill a lot of the business. Wonder who will be the first to cut the link with mandatory sports programming?

#29 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I stopped recommending DirecTV to others some 5 years ago or so (hard to remember), but continued using them myself. In fact, I have had no other provider this century. However, things are slowly changing for me. DirecTV is no longer "premium" over the competition. Slightly better, but no longer "much" better. Combine this with the fact that programming, far more important than the provider, has gone to pot over the last 10-20 years (from my perspective), so I am increasingly questioning spending large sums of money to be subject to garbage.
  • Jillxz likes this
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#30 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

What I mean is, when I was here before everyone talked up Directv like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now, it seems like it's just one of many choices you could have made for tv service.

Has anything changed as far as customer service, underhanded dealings by directv (such as free NFL Ticket that ends up costing you as an example), or anything else? I just want to make sure I made the right choice going back while I still have time to cancel.

So, for the most part is everything hunky dory in the world of Directv? If you could drop the service, would you?

I've been with them for 13 years. There's a lot not to like including spiraling costs, slow DVRs and indifferent customer service. I'm not aware of a provider that doesn't suffer from the same deficiencies.

#31 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 16 years, so "dissatisfied" does not apply.

On the other hand, I am a LOT LESS SATISFIED than I was 5-10 years ago. The continuing price increases that far exceed inflation, the continuing decline in customer focus and service, the endless parade of firmware "upgrades" that don't correct existing problems and often introduce new problems and the frustratingly SLOOOOOW DirecTV DVR's don't provide much to get excited about.
  • Xsabresx likes this

#32 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,128 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Here in DFW the only service I would seriously consider as an alternative is FIOS. Internet is excellent, PQ is very good. Cable is still pretty poor here, PQ and equipment. Don't like Dish business practices. Could save $30 month by going to cable, at least for the first year, but it's not worth all the hassle.
But all the providers are getting too expensive. The ever-increasing cost of sports programming, and retransmission fees for the networks, are going to kill a lot of the business. Wonder who will be the first to cut the link with mandatory sports programming?

I always forget you're in Allen, too. Are you lucky enough to get Fios where you are? I've always wanted them at least for internet and TV, but it's like they refuse to build here. I'm between High Meadow & Exchange in the Reed Elementary area.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

My only options are DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner Cable. I dropped TWC in favor of DirecTV in 1998 and have never looked back. I have only had to call customer service about five times in the past 15 years, and I have never had any problems with them.

#34 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

I am very satisfied with the service and technology. I am reasonably unsatisfied with the cost. Over the past decade, almost every year when prices have gone up I have cut my service by either dropping receivers or lowering my service level. Despite that, I am still paying over $100 a month which for me is simply too much money for the amount of TV I watch.

I'm probably very close (maybe next year's price increase) to cutting the cord and bundling with my cable company (where I get internet service) for a substantial reduction in monthly cost. DirecTV is simply pricing itself out of my reach. My last reduction in service package has reached the point of dropping some channels I did not want to drop (including Root sports), a direct result/impact of the pricing for sports programming (which is of very low importance to me overall).

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I have been with DirecTV for over 12 years and there is little I can think about that has gotten better with the exception of some of the receivers.

For example, think back to a (slightly) earlier DirecTV when you didn't have to deal with:

A commitment

Ridiculous price increases EVERY year making DirecTV more expensive than cable

Constant package shuffling and renaming so customers are so confused they don't know what package they have or if it's "grandfathered"

Leased receivers

Regional Sports Fee

Losing channels even if you don't change packages (hint:CLOO, NASA CCTV9)

$25 per month for the priviledge of having ONE HD DVR

Irritating in-guide ads

Slower than molasses receivers

Inability to use SD outputs on an HD receiver if it's set to HD resolution

Losing popular features like "dash-dash" delete or trickplay while viewing guide

If I work on it I can probably add to the list. In any event I still have SD service from DirecTV because I have no intention of starting a two year commitment when there are so many other choices popping up not to mention DirecTV's business policy of disregarding loyal long-term customers in favor of new customers.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm fairly new to DirecTV. I signed up in September 2012. I had Charter for about 6 years prior to the switch. Comparing Charter to DirecTV is like night and day. The equipment, programming CSR's are all superior with DirecTV. SO overall I am very satisfied and will continue being a DirecTV subscriber for years to come.

#37 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've been with D* for 10 years as of this month. Obviously I've been very happy with them, and haven't found a better alternative.

My only real complaint is that since moving from AZ to FL last year I lose my signal with very little rainfall sometimes. I've had every thing checked by a tech and signal strengths are good.

But even still, the only way I'll give up D* is if I totally give up paid TV service and switch to Netflix, Roku, or whatever.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#38 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I am very satisfied with the service and technology. I am reasonably unsatisfied with the cost. Over the past decade, almost every year when prices have gone up I have cut my service by either dropping receivers or lowering my service level. Despite that, I am still paying over $100 a month which for me is simply too much money for the amount of TV I watch.

I'm probably very close (maybe next year's price increase) to cutting the cord and bundling with my cable company (where I get internet service) for a substantial reduction in monthly cost. DirecTV is simply pricing itself out of my reach. My last reduction in service package has reached the point of dropping some channels I did not want to drop (including Root sports), a direct result/impact of the pricing for sports programming (which is of very low importance to me overall).

As if Dish is no different as they are getting almost as expensive but slightly cheaper than Directv, You should see how much Dish raise their AE Pak which is almost as much as what you pay for Premier package, Lets face it almost every tv provider raise their prices, which is why some consider cord cutting, but what happens if they do the same to Netflix or Hulu, a lot of people could say that sports programming is the vein from our existence, But could you imagine if they took that away, It would be a lot of PO'd people.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#39 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

If you are a sports fan, there is nothing to compete with Direct TV. I'm not happy with the cost but the options are just as expensive.

I'm a big sports fan in Oregon and love the PAC-12 and the Blazers. Yeah, DirecTV is awesome for sports fans! ;)

#40 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

My signature says it all.

So don't mine.
DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

Protected By... spam firewall...And...