Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

So don't mine.

Whatever floats your boat.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

So don't mine.

No HD TVs? We only watch HD content.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Whatever floats your boat.

No HD TVs? We only watch HD content.

Rich

MysteryMan, Would you stay with a provider if they didn't offer you the channels that you watch in the best quality available? :nono2: I don't think so.

Rich, I have 3 HD TVs and like you only watch HD content. But unfortunately DirecTV will not add the HD channel of ones that I watch the majority of the time, but my cable provider does.
DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

#44 ONLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

My only options are DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner Cable. I dropped TWC in favor of DirecTV in 1998 and have never looked back. I have only had to call customer service about five times in the past 15 years, and I have never had any problems with them.

I am in a similar situation, but with less choice (no cable) due to living in a rural area - DirecTV, Dish, OTA, or streaming (over 3 MB DSL for $60/month - whoop dee do). We have had DirecTV since 1995 and the only thing I am dissatisfied with is the the price. I have only rarely had to interact with customer service, I've really appreciated the additional channels, the addition of HD, and the DVRs (our 1st DirecTV DVR absolutely changed the way that we watch television). All that said, I am on a path down to having only 1 DVR and Choice - nothing else from DirecTV. And I only keep that for live sports access (Bears football - but not Sunday Ticket, Big Ten, and the Twins). If there was a lesser total cost, seasonal way to stream the sports I would be done with DirecTV and move to a home brew DVR for OTA plus streaming. Again, love the product, just not the cost.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#45 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

The only aspect of DirecTV that I've ever been dissatisfied with has been the installation and repair contractor that they use on Long Island (Mastec). I've found the majority of the technicians that I've had to deal with, at my home, to either be lazy or incompetent. I was actually forced to hire my own installer to install the Slimline that's currently on my roof after the Mastec installer said that I didn't have LOS (he was replacing an existing Phase III dish that had a perfect signal).

To be fair, I've been at the home of 2 friends when they has DirecTV installed and I found both of those installers to be excellent. I just haven't had that same luck at my house.

#46 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,016 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

But unfortunately DirecTV will not add the HD channel of ones that I watch the majority of the time, but my cable provider does.

Which channels?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,424 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

See my signature.
Very satisfied customer here:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#48 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

MysteryMan, Would you stay with a provider if they didn't offer you the channels that you watch in the best quality available? :nono2: I don't think so.

Rich, I have 3 HD TVs and like you only watch HD content. But unfortunately DirecTV will not add the HD channel of ones that I watch the majority of the time, but my cable provider does.

If you're happy with Cable that's fine with me. The SD and HD channels we watch on DirecTV look just fine.

#49 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm dissatisfied with all providers, I'm just less dissatisfied with Directv.

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

The only aspect of DirecTV that I've ever been dissatisfied with has been the installation and repair contractor that they use on Long Island (Mastec). I've found the majority of the technicians that I've had to deal with, at my home, to either be lazy or incompetent. I was actually forced to hire my own installer to install the Slimline that's currently on my roof after the Mastec installer said that I didn't have LOS (he was replacing an existing Phase III dish that had a perfect signal).

To be fair, I've been at the home of 2 friends when they has DirecTV installed and I found both of those installers to be excellent. I just haven't had that same luck at my house.

The installers are getting better. If you're fortunate enough to get a Tech, they've gotten better, too. Still not as good as I'd like to see, but better. We seem to have gotten lucky with D*'s contractor in my area.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

What I mean is, when I was here before everyone talked up Directv like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now, it seems like it's just one of many choices you could have made for tv service.

Has anything changed as far as customer service, underhanded dealings by directv (such as free NFL Ticket that ends up costing you as an example), or anything else? I just want to make sure I made the right choice going back while I still have time to cancel.

So, for the most part is everything hunky dory in the world of Directv? If you could drop the service, would you?

I'm not entirely thrilled how they've gone with the overseas call centers. It's not hard to get around, but annoying. It was one thing I thought was good, because I knew when I called I would get someone I understood.

But I also think their customer service has gotten a little worse too, from the standpoint in the past they always seemed to go out of their way to make a customer happy, and now they are much more content to not do anything for you.

I rarely have issues with my service. I'm not thrilled with how my bill seems to get higher each month, but honestly, that's just about every company. I have given some thought to pulling the plug, as most stuff now I can get elsewhere. It's the sports that keep me in, as where I live I have access to ESPN3, but not WatchESPN...so I'd miss a lot of college football.

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'm dissatisfied with all providers, I'm just less dissatisfied with Directv.

That's the way I feel, too. Looks as if most folks are put off by the pricing. I've had a house that cost me less a month than my D* bill is now and I've had a house that cost me just about a $100 more than D*'s monthly bill.

But, D* has treated me very well and, for the moment, I'm satisfied. I just have a feeling that someone is gonna do the Internet streaming correctly and put everything in a cloud and put the cable and satellite businesses out on the street wondering what happened. Already, I get a much better picture on Hulu + (not the answer) and NetFlix (not the answer either) than I do on my 1080i D* content.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,016 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm not entirely thrilled how they've gone with the overseas call centers. It's not hard to get around, but annoying. It was one thing I thought was good, because I knew when I called I would get someone I understood.

I believe there's only 1 call center overseas (Philippines) with most being here.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I believe there's only 1 call center overseas (Philippines) with most being here.

Having just spent a fruitless hour on a call to a Roku call center, I gotta say one D* call center that's not in the states is one too many. Just an opinion.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

That's the way I feel, too. Looks as if most folks are put off by the pricing. I've had a house that cost me less a month than my D* bill is now and I've had a house that cost me just about a $100 more than D*'s monthly bill.

But, D* has treated me very well and, for the moment, I'm satisfied. I just have a feeling that someone is gonna do the Internet streaming correctly and put everything in a cloud and put the cable and satellite businesses out on the street wondering what happened. Already, I get a much better picture on Hulu + (not the answer) and NetFlix (not the answer either) than I do on my 1080i D* content.

Rich

You're forgetting there's a sizeable part of the population that doesn't have access to high speed internet. Cable and satellite aren't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

#56 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I had to call about 3 times in a week here about 2 weeks ago and each time I called that's what I got. All at different times, and using a few different responses. I noticed it in the past too, but not nearly as much as recently. I got to the point now where I just start saying retention, and then I get them to transfer me and it's to a rep in the US.

Having just spent a fruitless hour on a call to a Roku call center, I gotta say one D* call center that's not in the states is one too many. Just an opinion.

Rich

Agreed 100%

#57 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,850 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

DirecTV is more expensive for me than if I were to bundle triple play with my cable provider. But I have DirecTV because the technology is better. Local cable co doesn't have multiroom or mobile apps. They run I-Guide which is pretty basic - no pandora or YouTube on TV. The search is pretty anemic and theres no poster art or pictures of actors in the info. You cant even drill down and see actors other programs. The most advanced thing they have is caller ID on TV, but so does DirecTV! The other thing that irks me with cable is that HD channels are put up high in the guide. Before I bought my house in 2010 I was in an apartment with Comcast. It was a constant battle with the wife or guests to change the channel to the HD equivalent. DirecTV does this right!!!

DirecTV also has IP control which is super convenient with mobile control apps.

As far as Dish Network, our market is Eastern Arc. I have too many trees in that direction which thankfully does not interfere with DirecTV as it points elsewhere.

DirecTV it is! Now if my local cable co. got with the program and updated their technology, I would re-evaluate because their pricing is better.

Edited by cypherx, 12 April 2013 - 03:04 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#58 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,559 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Rich

Today most cord cutters are people who don't watch much TV, so if they stream 30-60 minutes a day of content it doesn't add up to all that much. There's no way very many of the "average" TV viewers who watch 4 hours a day could cut the cord and stream four hours a day of full HD content. The providers don't have the bandwidth, the Internet backbone doesn't have the bandwidth, and your ISP doesn't have the bandwidth to deliver this to a good sized percentage of the population where you live (definitely true if you use cable, most likely true if you use DSL)

The way providers solve this sort of problem is via rationing. Either you get capped, or you pay much more for "unlimited" data when unlimited starts meaning terabytes per month for a lot of people instead of a very small number of outliers, or you do metered pricing, or everything gets too slow to stream during prime viewing hours in the evening. Just like what happened with cellular data once everyone got smartphones and started actually using it in large quantities. It was possible to do unlimited when only a few early adopters with iPhones and people using Blackberry mail made any real use of data, but once everyone had a smartphone, bye bye unlimited and hello slowdowns during prime hours and capped/metered pricing.

Cable providers who also provide Internet have a reason to dislike people cutting the cord. If too many do, they'll start raising the price of Internet and lowering the price of TV to fight back. If you have a decent DSL provider available you may not care, but some people only have slow DSL where they live and cable is their only real alternative for internet. Your fast DSL provider may become a crappy slow provider once a quarter of the people where you live are trying to stream HD content at once in the evening. Cord cutting works great today because not very many are doing it. If everyone starts doing it, since it doesn't scale it will stop being a viable alternative.

Then there's the problem of sports, for those who like sports. Today you can watch ESPN, Big Ten Network, and so on online, but only if you prove you already have that network through your TV provider. Just like with HBO. Sure, you can cheat the system by using a friend's login who still has TV, and they probably don't police it much today since it isn't costing them much, but once that changes and it costs them real money they'll probably start cracking down and suing people who are trying to cheat them.

#59 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Luckily my wife is from the Philippines!

As for cutting the cord, I just can't. When I'm watching something I recorded, or On Demand, I feel like I'm cut off from the world, like if something happens in the world I won't know because the news can't break into a recording. I'm weird that way. Don't suggest I keep a radio on while watching Hulu either!

#60 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Which channels?

GSN- majority owned by DirecTV Group Inc. :confused:
G4- not carried by DirecTV
HSN
HUB
QVC- Parent company is the largest investor in DirecTV :confused:
DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

Protected By... spam firewall...And...