Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I haven't had TWC HD, I got fed up when they kept telling me HD DVRs didn't exist and their ads saying that Internet speed was dependent on the diameter of the cable.

Maybe they believe in the Ted Stevens "series of tubes", so the bigger the tube the faster the Internet! :rolling:

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I would be really curious if anyone could actually verify that DirecTV has reduced their PQ on their SD feeds....

I don't know if there has been a reduction recently but it's been crappy for years and complaints about the quality of Directv's SD on this site go way back.  IIRC, the resolution is cut, right up front, and is not 640x480. When you throw in compression, you get a sub-standard pic.  Fortunately, I rarely watch SD on my main TV, but unfortunately, my bedroom TV is still a CRT.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#103 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

So as long as you're watching a still picture, you're good?  That would be great if most shows had no motion.  :)

I didn't say that. Plus I'm with Directv again, so what's the point of "mocking" my tv provider?

#104 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

I couldn't disagree more. My SD DVD's look fantastic, yet DirecTV's SD looks like a 20 yr old VHS tape, all on the same $3000 TV. Can't pin DirecTV's criminal amount of compression on the TV.

As for the OP's original question, asking if anyone here doesn't like DirecTV is like going to a bar and asking if anyone doesn't like beer.

Aside from the unwatchable SD, I agree with others that DirecTV has gotten way too expensive. That, and the slow DVRs are my biggest gripes.

No, my question was is everyone still happy with Directv. Last time I was here almost 2 years ago you would think Directv was the greatest invention ever and even thinking of going to Time Warner was sacreligious. I didn't see any posts like that when I came back so I was just wondering if Directv's reputation had gone downhill in the past 2 years, that's all.

#105 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

I haven't had TWC HD, I got fed up when they kept telling me HD DVRs didn't exist and their ads saying that Internet speed was dependent on the diameter of the cable.

You must be referring to their ad in The Onion ;)

#106 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

So as long as you're watching a still picture, you're good?  That would be great if most shows had no motion.  :)

:mellow:

so typically any show where Kim Kardashian is acting lol

drums rolls please

applause

close curtains :D

Edited by Volatility, 17 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#107 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Perhaps.  But after watching DirecTV's SD channels for over 12 years I think they look just fine-even on my 42" HDTV.  New flat screen TV's vary widely in their processing of SD resolutions.  When I selected my Toshiba Regza HDTV I compared it with all the other TV's at the dealer USING AN SD PROGRAM.  I was lucky enough to find a local dealer who would let me do this as opposed to the usual scenario where all the TV's are being fed by a blu-ray DVD at 1080p to impress customers.  I was amazed at the difference!!  Some of the TV's when fed the SD signal looked so blurry that they would produce a headache.  Mine didn't so I bought it.

I also still have 2 SD DVR's feeding older SD CRT TV's and I have not seen a reduction in picture quality.

The problem from my perspective is that many viewers have become accustomed to watching HD and then go crazy when they tune in to an SD program or channel.  I would be really curious if anyone could actually verify that DirecTV has reduced their PQ on their SD feeds....

One of the HDTV's I have is a 37" Toshiba Regaza, that has been professionally calibrated. When I subscribed to DirecTV in Jan 2008 but still subscribed to the lowest tier of cable, the SD picture was better then cable. But after DirecTV did an update in 2009, I saw a reduction in picture quality with DirecTV and on cable it was better.

DirecTV Jan 2008-Dec 2011. Went back to cable...could no longer take watching DirecTV's SD fuzzy vision

#108 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

The SD picture on my ClearQAM tuner with my cable company is better than the SD picture over DirecTV.  Though the local cable company is putting 10 MPEG2 SD channels in one RF space.  38.8mbps / 10 = 3.88mbps per SD feed (mpeg2).  DirecTV obviously doesn't have the bandwidth on 101 where a lot of legacy single lnb dishes are pointing.  So they must be cramming a lot more per transponder.  Not entirely sure the Mbps on a transponder, but since they are doing MPEG2 it's not efficient as it could be.

Once the rest of Comcast / NBCU and AMC Networks properties go HD along with The HUB, it's likely I won't have SD on ever again, except for the occasional Discovery Health, Nick JR, Babyfirst.

Knowing that the D14 satellite will be launched is a great testament to the enormous capacity boost that will provide us with the likelihood of all of those remaining networks going HD. 

• APB101 likes this

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#109 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

:mellow:

so typically any show where Kim Kardashian is acting lol

drums rolls please

applause

close curtains :D

I hope you edited that joke to make it worse because you sure didn't make it better.

#110 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

The SD picture on my ClearQAM tuner with my cable company is better than the SD picture over DirecTV.  Though the local cable company is putting 10 MPEG2 SD channels in one RF space.  38.8mbps / 10 = 3.88mbps per SD feed (mpeg2).  DirecTV obviously doesn't have the bandwidth on 101 where a lot of legacy single lnb dishes are pointing.  So they must be cramming a lot more per transponder.  Not entirely sure the Mbps on a transponder, but since they are doing MPEG2 it's not efficient as it could be.

Just because they have 10 SD QAM channels in a single RF channel doesn't mean they're all the same bandwidth. They might have shopping channels or news channels that can get by with a lot less, and use more for others. Or use VBR on them all and dynamically change the bandwidth used by each as needed, similar to network QoS schemes.

I don't ever use Directv SD channels or cable SD channels (except a couple like TCM that my cable company doesn't provide in HD) so I can't compare them, but since they publish their mapping for the clear QAM channels I can see how many they pack in per RF channel. I see one with 13 that besides WGN, has a mismash of shopping and religious channels that don't need much bandwidth. There are others with 10, 11, 12, 9 and 5.  The one with 5 has ESPN, ESPN2, CSNCH, and NatGEO, along with the Weather Channel. Somehow I'm betting it was no accident they did that, and that the Weather Channel isn't getting the same bandwidth allocation as ESPN :)

I'm honestly not surprised Directv has reduced SD quality over the years and would expect they'll do it more and more even if they have the bandwidth for it. Great way to get the SD laggards to upgrade to HD receivers. People who still have SD receivers they're watching regularly in 2013 are most likely people who don't care about the quality of their TV experience, don't like to spend much money on their TV experience and/or just don't care all that much about TV in general.

They're the most likely candidates to cut the cord, and least likely candidates to spend extra money on upgraded packages or PPV movies. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general you'd expect the people who care more about TV and the TV viewing experience and are willing to spend money on it to have HDTVs and HD receivers. Directv probably makes very little from most of the customers still clinging to SD - no extra fees that everyone with HD and DVRs pay. I'll bet they wouldn't be too sorry to see many of them go. Looks like they may be helping push them a bit in several ways:

1) Changes to the protection plan etc. to make it easier for customers still on SD to upgrade to HD or Genie

2) Obsoleting all the receivers older than 2004 or so via disabling the old guide

3) Perhaps slowly degrading SD quality to further incentivize upgrades to HD, and get the customers who refuse to upgrade to voluntarily leave

#111 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Slowly degrading SD is not an option.  That would only be an option if every channel were available in HD.  For example we watch Best Ink on Oxygen, which normally airs new episodes every Wednesday night.  Oxygen already looks like sh*t in SD.  No sense to make it look even worse.  To be honest I play some Baby Einstein videos for my 5 month old daughter through the YouTube feature on the HR24 DVR.  Those YouTube clips look better than the SD on DirecTV.

OK yeah SD looks like crap, so you upgrade... but then you still can't get all those channels in HD unless you pay out the wazoo and subscribe to two providers.  Could I get a lot of those basics like Oxygen, The Hub, Reelz, Style, etc.. in HD? Sure if I went with cable.  But then I'd lose things like HBO2, HBO Signature, HBO Family, and other premium multi-screens.  So no way do I have enough disposable income to subscribe to two providers, have two set top boxes, two different remotes and have to teach everyone how to juggle two inputs on the TV.  

DirecTV has more of what I want from a provider than Cable... just not all of it.  I think when D14 launches they will have so much bandwidth that getting the rest of the channels in HD shouldn't be a problem.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#112 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I hope you edited that joke to make it worse because you sure didn't make it better.

meh

#113 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

meh

Touche

#114 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

People who still have SD receivers they're watching regularly in 2013 are most likely people who don't care about the quality of their TV experience, don't like to spend much money on their TV experience and/or just don't care all that much about TV in general.

Well, you're 33% correct in my case.  I don't like to spend OUTRAGEOUS amounts of money on my TV experience.  Plain old SD DirecTV is expensive enough without adding things like whole-home and HD fees.  And I certainly don't want to be stuck with DirecTV for another 2 years considering their price increases.

What you forgot to mention is that there are a lot of viewers who like old TV programs (classic TV) and movies none of which are in HD anyway.  I am one of those viewers.  And anyone who pays for ANY DirecTV service must care for TV considering how expensive it is.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#115 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I didn't say that. Plus I'm with Directv again, so what's the point of "mocking" my tv provider?

I was merely showing the irony.  I have some movies that I stream from my computer to the TV and they may be in 1080p, but if the bit rate isn't there, the resolution is almost irrelevant.  Having 1080 at 5 fps is still 1080 but would be unwatchable.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#116 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Some subs don't care or don't know much about HD when they still have tube tv's, Plus they don't want any more fees, And I don't know why people say sd looks worse on Directv, Duh you have a HDTV of course it's gonna look bad, you just never noticed when you had sd tv's, Plus if you have a bigger tv you'll notice it a lot more compared to a small set. Try switching to a tube tv to see what I'm talking about:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#117 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

Well, you're 33% correct in my case.  I don't like to spend OUTRAGEOUS amounts of money on my TV experience.  Plain old SD DirecTV is expensive enough without adding things like whole-home and HD fees.  And I certainly don't want to be stuck with DirecTV for another 2 years considering their price increases.

What you forgot to mention is that there are a lot of viewers who like old TV programs (classic TV) and movies none of which are in HD anyway.  I am one of those viewers.  And anyone who pays for ANY DirecTV service must care for TV considering how expensive it is.

Have you ever seen some of those classic TV shows and movies in HD? There's a tremendous difference in picture quality.

• am7crew likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#118 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

Some subs don't care or don't know much about HD when they still have tube tv's, Plus they don't want any more fees, And I don't know why people say sd looks worse on Directv, Duh you have a HDTV of course it's gonna look bad, you just never noticed when you had sd tv's, Plus if you have a bigger tv you'll notice it a lot more compared to a small set. Try switching to a tube tv to see what I'm talking about:)

Not true. I had Directv before. When I switched to Time Warner I noticed their SD was excellent, and I notice now, coming back to Directv, how bad their SD is. However I don't watch SD, I notice it in the SD commercials on HD channels. And as I said before, if TIme Warner raised the quality of their HD (it's terribly compressed) they would have to lower the quality of the SD. The ol' Catch 22.

#119 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

It seems as though cable companies are missing a trick by making higher quality HD a tradeoff with lower quality SD. It makes sense, most are limited to a top frequency of 750 to 850 MHz. Analog channels, which most still have, are very wasteful of bandwidth, and having SD duplicates of all channels and broadcasting them in MPEG2, is also wasteful. Can't really go higher than 850 MHz because they don't want to have to start rewiring homes like satellite providers sometimes have to.

But nothing stops them from using more bandwidth from the headend to the curb. They might need to upgrade some equipment along the path to handle the higher frequencies, but most of us know that many splitters and other passive devices rated for cable frequencies work just fine on satellite frequencies. We only pay extra for the higher rated stuff for peace of mind.

Cable companies could offer a 'high quality' package that included everything in top quality MPEG4 HD except for the channels that are only available in SD (which would be top quality MPEG4 as well) There would be no analog channels at all, and no SD duplicates of HD channels. Broadcast this at >1 GHz from the headend so it would run in parallel with the signal everyone gets today. That way you don't have to stop providing the analog channels and full SD content that people who are still using SD sets want to keep receiving.

Customers who order this would have a frequency shifter installed on their line where it splits off to go to their house that downshifts the frequency to the normal cable range so it would work with their house wiring. This frequency shifting is really no different than what a B band converter (or a LNB or SWM multiswitch) does, and those are inexpensive because they're manufactured in quantity. A big cable provider like TWC could order these by the millions and get the price down, and they could get whatever they do cost back on the install charge for the 'HQ package'.

#120 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,194 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Have you ever seen some of those classic TV shows and movies in HD? There's a tremendous difference in picture quality.

Yes, there is.  I do watch oldies at times and find them very watchable in HD. 

Rich

spam firewall