Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anybody here dissatisfied with Directv?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

OK got a phone call/Voicemail from Directv on Friday, Stating that my 12 month promos are expired as of this month. If I wanted call them back and see what offers are available to me.
Ok so I call them back with getting a C31 in mind as an upgrade.

So first I listen at what they have to offer me, and it was 3 months Free of HBO,MAX,Starz,Showtime $141 value.
I said OK how about a Free upgrade to a C31 instead of the premiums That's a $99 value and you get a 24 month commitment out of me.
They said NO! the best they could do is $70 including shipping.

I SAID NO! I don't get it? I'm a little displeased.

What is this really costing them to upgrade me a C31. Shipping charges?? What the He!!. Lets review, It Cost me $260 in upfront charges when I started, I've paid $115 per month for 10 months, $95 for 2. I hooked them up with 2 customers

So even with my first 12 month promos I've paid them $1600.
Next 12 months are projected at another minimum $1700-$2200. Wouldn't you think they would rather Eat $99 to secure another 24 month commitment that puts $3400-$4400 in their bank.

I guess they would rather give me the free premiums and just settle for the $1600.LOL

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

So first I listen at what they have to offer me, and it was 3 months Free of HBO,MAX,Starz,Showtime $141 value.
I said OK how about a Free upgrade to a C31 instead of the premiums That's a $99 value and you get a 24 month commitment out of me.
They said NO! the best they could do is $70 including shipping.

I SAID NO! I don't get it? I'm a little displeased.

The premium channels would be a great value for you and they obviously arent paying the $141 to send them to you.  On the other hand, they do eat some of the cost for the clients.  So as far as a business judgement, it's much cheaper for them to give you free premiums.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#123 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

.  So as far as a business judgement, it's much cheaper for them to give you free premiums.

Yep, and its much cheaper for me not to upgrade with them for another 24 months either from a business stand point. :contract:

A lot can happen with providers in a year so maybe I'll just play out my contract and see what my options are.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#124 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

. So as far as a business judgement, it's much cheaper for them to give you free premiums.

Yep, and its much cheaper for me not to upgrade with them for another 24 months either from a business stand point. :contract: A lot can happen with providers in a year so maybe I'll just play out my contract and see what my options are.
That's what I'm going to do too, when my commitment expires see what goodies I can get, so they can hook me up for 2 years again, If its not what I'm hoping for than no dice. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Edited by acostapimps, 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#125 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

If only they can upgrade me on discounted HR44 by then when my contract expires early next year, Or will it be like the HR2x where they send you whatever model they have available and not guaranteed?

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#126 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

If only they can upgrade me on discounted HR44 by then when my contract expires early next year, Or will it be like the HR2x where they send you whatever model they have available and not guaranteed?

You may get an hr44 or an hr34... it is the same where it isn't gaurenteed.

Edited by Volatility, 24 April 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#127 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

You may get an hr44 or an hr34... it is the same where it isn't gaurenteed.

Can we Pin this information?  I swear it's been asked over a dozen times in the last 2 weeks and answered everytime.

• sigma1914 and Volatility like this
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#128 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Can we Pin this information? I swear it's been asked over a dozen times in the last 2 weeks and answered everytime.

+1 I concur. As a customer, one might think when placing an upgrade you would get the newest reciever available at time, however that would be pretty expensive for DirecTV to manufacture that many particular receivers for every time a customer calls in for an upgrade. im thinking they don't do it because of cost factors.

Edited by Volatility, 25 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#129 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Can we Pin this information?  I swear it's been asked over a dozen times in the last 2 weeks and answered everytime.

First of all I already knew that information as I was being sarcastic, but they should really make an exception for existing customers that want to upgrade to new equipment if they want to promote if they ever their new Genie.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#130 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

First of all I already knew that information as I was being sarcastic, but they should really make an exception for existing customers that want to upgrade to new equipment if they want to promote if they ever their new Genie.

I agree, it would be nice if the model could be specified but it would be abused.  No provider wants to start new customers off with really old equipment to make sure existing customers have it because that's going to ruin the initial look at the new service.  On the other hand, how long would you have to be a customer before the option to specify a model was available.  Too many factors to warrant the ability to do so.  If they could just get all their equipment on the same page, this wouldn't even be necessary, and maybe that's where everything will end up. Fingers crossed.

#131 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I agree, it would be nice if the model could be specified but it would be abused.  No provider wants to start new customers off with really old equipment to make sure existing customers have it because that's going to ruin the initial look at the new service.  On the other hand, how long would you have to be a customer before the option to specify a model was available.  Too many factors to warrant the ability to do so.  If they could just get all their equipment on the same page, this wouldn't even be necessary, and maybe that's where everything will end up. Fingers crossed.

It would be nice if they allowed certain customers to specify models, but cost wise I don't see how they could do that as they have too many loyal customers It would mean they would have to manufacture more models of that receiver than they currently do and they already take a lost selling the receivers below the actual value at lease. Shortage problems may also come up with doing that. I had always thought they shipped out random models because of cost and other issues that hinder their ability to do so they send out different models that are in the local home office warehouse at the time. Hopefully one day though, this request will become a reality.

Edited by Volatility, 25 April 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#132 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

It would be nice if they allowed certain customers to specify models, but cost wise I don't see how they could do that as they have too many loyal customers It would mean they would have to manufacture more models of that receiver than they currently do and they already take a lost selling the receivers below the actual value at lease. Shortage problems may also come up with doing that. I had always thought they shipped out random models because of cost and other issues that hinder their ability to do so they send out different models that are in the local home office warehouse at the time. Hopefully one day though, this request will become a reality.

They obviously keep up with the models now though.  An HR24 is now swapped with another HR24 if the units needs to be replaced based on technical issues.  As nice as it would be to specify a model during upgrade, I doubt that will ever happen.  Best bet is to have a technician do the upgrade as they usually have newer equipment.

#133 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

They obviously keep up with the models now though. An HR24 is now swapped with another HR24 if the units needs to be replaced based on technical issues. As nice as it would be to specify a model during upgrade, I doubt that will ever happen. Best bet is to have a technician do the upgrade as they usually have newer equipment.

I'm familiar with the first part, I was referring to upgrades only not erps. Most def on the installer being the best bet on getting the newer equipment.

Edited by Volatility, 26 April 2013 - 07:52 AM.

spam firewall