Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DogTV coming this summer...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

http://www.inquisitr...family-members/

At 5.99 per month....now I've seen it all....
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

If it is not in HD my dog will not watch it.

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

+1 :lol:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Now I know TV is going to the dogs.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#5 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Woof Woof:)
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#6 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

We have a new young dog - and a new bigger (of course) TV. She is transfixed whenever a dog shows up on the screen.

We've taken to instant "jogging" away whenever a commercial pops up - because we're afraid she's going to challenge that dog.

#7 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Really?

I am as big of a dog person as anyone (I have 6...down from 7) and I think this is ridiculous.

The dogs I own that are inclined to watch TV already do. My Chihuahua 'Buddy' very actively watches. He perks up and notices if I pause, rewind or FF. He also continues to be mystified by the screen saver. The others not so much.

I even leave the Family Room TV on when I go to work just to make the room seem a little more lived in. It keeps them happier and they are less destructive. They seem to act up more when left in dead silence. Primarily chewing and peeing. The 58" Panny with 5.1 Dolby Digital helps.

They are confined to the Family Room but it is about 15x30 with a sectional, a chaise, a regular sofa and a doggie door out to the fenced in back yard with a pool. Not bad confinement. They are definitely spoiled.

But even I don't buy the idea that they are that interested in the actual program content itself. I think this is silly.

I think the idea that it costs $5.99 per subscriber to produce this programming is a little disingenuous too. I bet you could get Matt Galant to say "who's a good doggie?" for 20 minutes and put it on a repeating loop for little more than minimum wage.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#8 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

+1

#9 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

So are the programs only going to be in black/white and shades of gray lol? in hd of course haha

#10 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

I only have a cat. Can they watch or is it blacked out for them?
Vin Scully mentions this channel in this clip after he wonders what the # means for Twitter. :lol:

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...pic_id=21753540

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

So are the programs only going to be in black/white and shades of gray lol? in hd of course haha

No HD but they will be in shades that dogs can see with things shot from a low (dog's eye) point of view. The Dogtv people think they can make money from it and that's all that matters. An SD channel won't cost us any bandwidth to speak of.

#12 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

I wish them Luck- However I get enough Dog and Cat video's off of U tube.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I had an argument with a geneticist about this. I choose (I can offer no proof, just an opinion) to believe that dogs can see in color. She chose to sit on the rods and cones theory.

A few months, perhaps a year, ago, I read an article (might have been in National Geographic magazine) that stated that herbivores see in color, which was not known until recently. I called her up and she had read the same article. Refused to believe it. Recently read that bats can distinguish colors. Why not dogs? I've also known "racist" dogs. How do they discriminate without seeing colors (I'm speaking about black folks and white folks, I've known dogs that go both ways)?

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

When I saw this thread title I was thinking that this was going to be a Dog the Bounty hunter TV channel was surprised when I actually opened the thread. :)

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,361 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I had an argument with a geneticist about this. I choose (I can offer no proof, just an opinion) to believe that dogs can see in color. She chose to sit on the rods and cones theory.

A few months, perhaps a year, ago, I read an article (might have been in National Geographic magazine) that stated that herbivores see in color, which was not known until recently. I called her up and she had read the same article. Refused to believe it. Recently read that bats can distinguish colors. Why not dogs? I've also known "racist" dogs. How do they discriminate without seeing colors (I'm speaking about black folks and white folks, I've known dogs that go both ways)?

Rich

I've never bought into the theory that animals see in black and white. If that were the case why would nature be so abundant with color and certain species have the ability of camouflage?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Of our 2 cats, one (the fat one) totally ignores the TV. The other one, however, likes shows with quite a bit of motion. He'll ignore the O'Reilly Factor (sorry Bill) but really perk up for a race.

Both cats love watching birds in the front yard through the living room windows. Apparently TV registers as 'different' to the one, but not the other.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I've never bought into the theory that animals see in black and white. If that were the case why would nature be so abundant with color and certain species have the ability of camouflage?

Not to mention the very poisonous plants, snakes, spiders, frogs, etc. that use bright colors to warn off predators. Try using that logic with a geneticist. Nothing worse than arguing with someone with a degree that thinks someone without a degree must be stupid.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Of our 2 cats, one (the fat one) totally ignores the TV. The other one, however, likes shows with quite a bit of motion. He'll ignore the O'Reilly Factor (sorry Bill) but really perk up for a race.

Both cats love watching birds in the front yard through the living room windows. Apparently TV registers as 'different' to the one, but not the other.

Bet that cat loves tennis games. I had one that kept going in back of the TV to see where the balls went. If you can find an old Pong game, put that on. Cats love Pong.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,361 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Not to mention the very poisonous plants, snakes, spiders, frogs, etc. that use bright colors to warn off predators. Try using that logic with a geneticist. Nothing worse than arguing with someone with a degree that thinks someone without a degree must be stupid.

Rich

That's why my father taught me never to confuse academic achievement with intelligence. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

My bill is to high now I am not going to add 6 bucks just for the dogs.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

spam firewall