Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DogTV coming this summer...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I had an argument with a geneticist about this. I choose (I can offer no proof, just an opinion) to believe that dogs can see in color. She chose to sit on the rods and cones theory.

A few months, perhaps a year, ago, I read an article (might have been in National Geographic magazine) that stated that herbivores see in color, which was not known until recently. I called her up and she had read the same article. Refused to believe it. Recently read that bats can distinguish colors. Why not dogs? I've also known "racist" dogs. How do they discriminate without seeing colors (I'm speaking about black folks and white folks, I've known dogs that go both ways)?

Rich

Yes dogs can see in color, but their perception of color is not the same as humans. And, they can see various shades of blue as well as differentiate between closely related shades of gray that the human eye can not distinquish. However for the sake of my joke I went with the common misconception lol.

Edited by Volatility, 11 April 2013 - 04:54 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Really?

I am as big of a dog person as anyone (I have 6...down from 7) and I think this is ridiculous.

The dogs I own that are inclined to watch TV already do. My Chihuahua 'Buddy' very actively watches. He perks up and notices if I pause, rewind or FF. He also continues to be mystified by the screen saver. The others not so much.

I even leave the Family Room TV on when I go to work just to make the room seem a little more lived in. It keeps them happier and they are less destructive. They seem to act up more when left in dead silence. Primarily chewing and peeing. The 58" Panny with 5.1 Dolby Digital helps.

They are confined to the Family Room but it is about 15x30 with a sectional, a chaise, a regular sofa and a doggie door out to the fenced in back yard with a pool. Not bad confinement. They are definitely spoiled.

But even I don't buy the idea that they are that interested in the actual program content itself. I think this is silly.

I think the idea that it costs $5.99 per subscriber to produce this programming is a little disingenuous too. I bet you could get Matt Galant to say "who's a good doggie?" for 20 minutes and put it on a repeating loop for little more than minimum wage.

The $6 a month isn't actually DirecTV's idea, that's the model for DogTV. It starts at $6 a month. On Roku, it's $10.

And while the channel will be SD, it will require an HD set. They can't watch a 60hz TV, the refresh rate is too low.

#23 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Whether it's DirecTV or DogTV setting the price point, my reaction is the same thing I say to my dogs many times a day.

"Get down!"

Of course it's a moot point since I wouldn't even buy it for a dollar. This is a ridiculous concept.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#24 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

It's not the channel I was barking for.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#25 OFFLINE   Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

He'll ignore the O'Reilly Factor (sorry Bill) but really perk up for a race.

Me too!

#26 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

They are barking up the wrong tree if they think I'd be interested in that dog crap.

#27 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hardly a new idea. I could list several channels that went to the dogs long ago.

But seriously, I hope we get a free preview. I actually might subscribe for my pooches.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's why my father taught me never to confuse academic achievement with intelligence. ;)

Something I had to learn the hard way.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Whether it's DirecTV or DogTV setting the price point, my reaction is the same thing I say to my dogs many times a day.

"Get down!"

Of course it's a moot point since I wouldn't even buy it for a dollar. This is a ridiculous concept.

I agree with everything you've said. I record the Westminster dog show each year and let my Westie watch it. He lays on the couch totally immersed in the show.

He's not thrilled with wolves and doesn't like dinosaurs at all. He even gets upset when people fight. Westies aren't listed as the smartest dogs, but they have to be pretty close to the top of the list.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

http://www.inquisitr...family-members/

At 5.99 per month....now I've seen it all....

I love dogs, but if Dish had DogTV I wouldn't get it. My bill is high enough. In September I'll dump STARZ when the half price deal with HBO-STARZ is over.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Kinda takes the term "niche programming" to another level.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Dogs are a large market. Now, programming geared to ferrets, that is truly niche.

#33 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

My dog definitely watches TV. She even responds to it. If a character has her name, she perks up every time someone says it. She is terrified of real thunderstorms - and those on on TV, too. She loves the Puppy Bowl and soccer. As spoiled as she is otherwise, she can watch the Puppy Bowl and soccer. My bill is high enough!

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#34 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

When there's a doorbell ringing on the TV, my Burmese gets up goes to the front door and barks like crazy! We always has to say "it's just on TV!!" That calms her down.

She was looking at the TV one time I had Nat Geo Wild on, but usually she doesn't seem to be watching it.

Dog TV needs a good long free trial to get people to see if their dog really even responds. It needs to be free for at least a week or two... No short weekend trial.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

When there's a doorbell ringing on the TV, my Burmese gets up goes to the front door and barks like crazy! We always has to say "it's just on TV!!" That calms her down.

She was looking at the TV one time I had Nat Geo Wild on, but usually she doesn't seem to be watching it.

Dog TV needs a good long free trial to get people to see if their dog really even responds. It needs to be free for at least a week or two... No short weekend trial.

Agreed. I had two Westies, one of them had to be put down a couple years ago. The one I have now has a keen interest in TV, the other one wasn't interested at all.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

If our Beagle can get off her lazy butt and get a job and pay for it then she can have the channel... otherwise forget it, she will just have to settle for laying in the recliner watching human shows.
Posted Image

#37 OFFLINE   Mark40930

Mark40930

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

This may turn out like what happened with BabyFirst TV...they have it as an add-on for awhile, then next rate increase they will include with either HD or Premier as a freebie.

D* Setup:
1 x HR24-500 DVR

FTA Setup (in storage):
HotDish 90cm dish
Invacom Linear/Circular LNBF
Openbox S16 HD receiver

Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no on like me and I was unlike anyone else. - Dostoyevsky

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

If I had to watch programming from one of them, I'd choose DogTV over BabyTV any day. Programming is likely more interesting and less annoying (though only based on bits I've seen from NBC's Saturday morning offerings.

spam firewall