Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Winegard SK-3005 Antenna and Directv Genie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wirlwind62

wirlwind62

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Wife and I just had the Genie installed at the house with two C31 clients. We are having a SK-3005 HD antenna installed on our camper. We want to take the genie and 2 clients with us when we go camping. 3 TV's on the camper.
When the camper is parked at the house and genie installed inside the house on another slimline antenna, I want to be able to connect a coax cable from the house to the camper. I would then use the C31 client(s) to watch shows from the camper. Redneck vacation until the next traveling vacation.
Now for my question... Is it possibe to have more then 1 splitter in the SWM system? The house has 1 splitter and the camper will also have a splitter. I thought about having an A/B switch installed to the camper to ensure that I do not have more then one power source running though the coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

You can and you can't. How that for an answer? :lol:

If you're using 8-way splitters there's little chance it will work.
If you're using 4-way splitters "there's hope" that it will work, if the coax is less than 100' "end to end".

Another thing you'll need to do is to terminate all the used coax when you move receivers between locations.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

One more thing to consider is to install a green label splitter at the camper.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Also the SK3005 won't work with the Genie unless you convert it to SWM by adding an SWM8 multiswitch, connected to the dish via four cables, and a power inserter.

#5 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

If you haven't bought the Winegard yet, get the SK-SWM3 instead of the SK-3005. The SK-SWM3 is SWM (d'oh), and is replacing the SK-3005 anyway. If you already have the SK-3005, Winegard makes a kit for converting it, which includes the SWM8, cables, and power inserter. Or you could roll your own.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

One more thing to consider is to install a green label splitter at the camper.

The SK-SWM3 comes with a 4-way splitter and the PI.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   wirlwind62

wirlwind62

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

The SK-3005 has already been purchased along with the camper. The conversion kit will come with the antenna. Just making sure that everything works the way I think it should work.
Murphy's law... What can go wrong. Will go wrong.
Pilots last words: The only time you have enough fuel is when your on fire.

Thanks for your help guy's!

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

The SK-SWM3 comes with a 4-way splitter and the PI.

But the OP has a SK-3005 :eek2:
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   andyhawkins

andyhawkins

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Can the SK-3005 be converted to an SK-SWM3 by replacing the LNB with a SWM LNB and adding the power inserter?

I have an SK-3005 and it would make my DVR transport between Home and the Camper easier.  I have the 4 wires from the SK-3005 run to different places in the camper so a SWM multiswitch is not as good an option as changing out the LNB.

#10 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Can the SK-3005 be converted to an SK-SWM3 by replacing the LNB with a SWM LNB and adding the power inserter?
I have an SK-3005 and it would make my DVR transport between Home and the Camper easier. I have the 4 wires from the SK-3005 run to different places in the camper so a SWM multiswitch is not as good an option as changing out the LNB.

I don't think that will work. The Winegard has a tuner in the mount for detecting the sats. Switching the LNB will probably confuse the tuner. You can mount an SWM8 right at the dish on the roof instead.

Edited by FlyingDiver, 28 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

• JBv likes this

#11 OFFLINE   andyhawkins

andyhawkins

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks.  I kind of figured that was the answer but I was hopeful since I have the SWM LNB and power inserter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...