Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pre 2003 Receiver Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toyboxgang

toyboxgang

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hi, I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere already, but here goes the question again. I received the following email from DTV today.... IMPORTANT INFORMATION
WE WILL NEED TO REPLACE YOUR RECEIVER
Some receivers that are from the year 2003 and older will be phased out in the coming months and will no longer function. Our records indicate that one or more of these receivers are active on your account. If these older receivers are not replaced soon, your receiver will no longer function and will lose access to all programming. In preparation for this broadcast transition, DIRECTV will ship newer-generation receiver(s) directly to you to replace these older receiver(s) FREE of CHARGE* and with NO NEW SERVICE AGREEMENT.

While I have no issues with the free replacement, what I am curious about is whether or not these new machines will work with the old SD 13" 'pizza' style dish?? I use one of my receivers in my RV and have the dish all set up on my rig. Will this receiver change out require me to also change out my dish on my trailer? I have a mid-generation 3 head dish in my collection, will that work or do I have to go with the 5 head SWM system that is on the side of my house??

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Whatever they send you will work with the older style dish.

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Actually, most ALL DirecTV receivers can be used with the very first round-style dishes! I'm not sure about the Genie or others that have been released recently, but my R22 works just ducky with my Phase III dish and it would work fine with my very first round dish too!

Back to your replacement, you will probably get a D12 or possibly a D11. These SD receivers will work fine with your round dish also. You just have to go to the satellite section in the menu and configure it for an 18" round dish.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

The only receivers that won't work with the older (non SWiM) dishes are the H25 and Genie models. You can probably get an upgrade for free if you ask (and want to).

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

The only receivers that won't work with the older (non SWiM) dishes are the H25 and Genie models. You can probably get an upgrade for free if you ask (and want to).

Let me add the RVU clients to this list as well…:)
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Let me add the RVU clients to this list as well…:)

Well, clients don't work without Genies so... ;)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#7 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Actually, most ALL DirecTV receivers can be used with the very first round-style dishes! I'm not sure about the Genie or others that have been released recently, but my R22 works just ducky with my Phase III dish and it would work fine with my very first round dish too!

Yep. Do note for planning purposes that you cannot get HD on the older dishes.

jdg

#8 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi, I'm sure that this has been answered somewhere already, but here goes the question again. I received the following email from DTV today.... IMPORTANT INFORMATION
WE WILL NEED TO REPLACE YOUR RECEIVER...
...Thanks in advance.

Yes it has been discussed before and here is a post with all EOL receivers.

Here's the list of legacy MPG receivers that are supposed to be replaced:

MAKE-MODEL

OPTIMUS 5100
OPTIMUS 5700
OPTIMUS 5100N
HITACHI 61HDX98B
DSTV 7500U
GENERIC1 99-X998
GENERIC2 99-X999
HNS BAHNS01
HNS BAHNS01-IR
HNS BAHNS02
MAGNAVOX DBS500
MAGNAVOX DBS600
RCA DC4030RB
RCA DCD001RW
RCA DCD302RA
RCA DCD405RE
RCA DRD102RW
NO NAME PLTE DRD112NW
RCA DRD112NW
SWBT DRD112NW
GE DRD122GW
RCA DRD202RA
RCA DRD203RW
RCA DRD205RD
NO NAME PLTE DRD212NW
SWBT DRD212NW
NO NAME PLTE DRD213NW
RCA DRD221RD
RCA DRD222D
RCA DRD222RD
RCA DRD223RD
RCA DRD225RD
RCA DRD302RA
RCA DRD303RA
RCA DRD403RA
RCA DRD420RE
RCA DRD440RE
RCA DRD451RG
RCA DRD460RE
RCA DRD480RE
RCA DRD502RB
RCA DRD503RB
RCA DRD503RBC
RCA DRD505RB
RCA DRD515RB
RCA DRD523MCDC
RCA DRD523RB
RCA DRD703RA
RCA DRD705RB
RCA DS2320RA
RCA DS3330RA
RCA DS4430RA
RCA DS5230RB
RCA DS5450RB
RCA DS5451RB
DSTV DSTV-5700U
PHILIPS DSX5150R
PHILIPS DSX5250I
PHILIPS DSX5250R
PHILIPS DSX5350R
PHILIPS DSX5353C
PHILIPS DSX5353E
PHILIPS DSX5353R
PHILIPS DSX5353X
PHILIPS DSX5375R
RCA DTC-100
TOSHIBA DW65X91
RCA F38310
HNS GAEB0
HNS GCEB0
GE GRD33G2A
GE GRD33G3A
RCA HD65W20
HITACHI HDS100R
HITACHI HDS200R
HITACHI HDS210R
HITACHI HDS220R
HNS HIRD-43
HNS HIRD-A2
HNS HIRD-A3
HNS HIRD-A4
HNS HIRD-B1
HNS HIRD-B2
HNS HIRD-B23
HNS HIRD-B3
HNS HIRD-B4
HNS HIRD-C2
HNS HIRD-D0
HNS HIRD-D1
HNS HIRD-D2
HNS HIRD-D4
HNS HIRD-D5
HNS HIRD-E1
HNS HIRD-E2
HNS HIRD-E4
HNS HIRD-E6
HNS HSYS-2331
HNS HSYS-B2332
HNS HSYS-C2262
HNS HSYS-C2264
RCA L50000
MEMOREX MSD5000
MEMOREX MSD5001R-H
NO NAME PLTE NRD215ND
RCA NRD3131NA
NO NAME PLTE NRD313NA
RCA NRD313NA
NO NAME PLTE NRD323ND
RCA NRD412
NO NAME PLTE NRD412NA
NO NAME PLTE NRD415NE
RCA NRD513NB
RCA NS4221
RCA P61300
RCA P61310
PROSCAN PRD8630A
PROSCAN PRD8650B
PROSCAN PS34000
PROSCAN PS38000
PROSCAN PS61000
PROSCAN PS65000
PROSCAN PSHD105
SONY SAS-AD2
SONY SAS-AD3
SONY SAS-BD2
SONY SAS-BS2
SONY SAT-A1
SONY SAT-A2
SONY SAT-A3
SONY SAT-A4
SONY SAT-A50
SONY SAT-A55
SONY SAT-A65
SONY SAT-B1
SONY SAT-B2
SONY SAT-B3
SONY SAT-B4
SONY SAT-B50
SONY SAT-B50/2
SONY SAT-B55
SONY SAT-B65
SONY SAT-HD100
SAMSUNG SIR-S60W
MITSUBISHI SR-SD1
TOSHIBA TSR-101
TOSHIBA TSR-202
PANASONIC TU-IRD10
PANASONIC TU-IRD20
PANASONIC TZ-DBS01
PANASONIC TZ-DRD100
UNIDEN UDS100
UNIDEN UDS200
UNIDEN UDS200SYS
MAGNAVOX UNKNOWN
MEMOREX UNKNOWN
OPTIMUS UNKNOWN
SWBT UNKNOWN
UNIDEN UNKNOWN
HITACHI VW00321

HR34-700, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

DTV is basically trying to weave customers off of the legacy receivers due to broadcast transition and as those were during the early days when they could not provide enough receivers to their growing number of customers so they got with companies like RCA for assistance.

#10 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

If you tune to ch 325 and get a message that the ird needs to be replaced then there you are. Oddly I had a HNS HIRD D1 that required replacing while the Hughes GAEBO saw programming - go figure.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#11 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

DTV is basically trying to weave customers off of the legacy receivers due to broadcast transition and as those were during the early days when they could not provide enough receivers to their growing number of customers so they got with companies like RCA for assistance.

Yes and its probably all BS.....

The recievers WILL STILL WORK. What will happen is: THEY WILL PROBABLY KILL YOUR ACCESS CARD ON YOUR CURRENT OLDER BOX TO MAKE YOU THINK IT WONT WORK!!!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

The recievers WILL STILL WORK. What will happen is: THEY WILL PROBABLY KILL YOUR ACCESS CARD ON YOUR CURRENT OLDER BOX TO MAKE YOU THINK IT WONT WORK!!!!!!

o.O. Yeah they will continue to work. You will lose channels. Killing the access card? I don't think so. The idea that DirecTV would expend money and man hours to get a leased box into your home just to kill your legacy receiver sounds a little extreme.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#13 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Then why dont they just SEND EVERYONE NEW BOXS?????

Why make people CALL THEM AND CONSENT TO AN UPGRADE?? (If there is no commitment changes,no price change,etc)

Because the whole thing is suspicious thats why!!

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Why make people CALL THEM AND CONSENT TO AN UPGRADE?? (If there is no commitment changes,no price change,etc)

Ahh, hmmm….maybe to make them aware….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah I think it would be more suspicious if a customer just found a D12 on their doorstep one day.

You need to take off your tin foil hat, sir.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Just did one last Saturday.  One of my customers had an RCA DRD420 (which I have been urging him to chuck for years) and D* ponied up some free movie channels, and an HDDVR upgrade.

The tech showed up just 1 hour into the window, and I had worked with him before.  He took a glance at the ancient dish on a thin piece of conduit  that was also holding a big VHF-UHF yagi and a rotator 15 feet further up, then he looked at me and we both busted out laughing.  And then I said wait till you see his receiver!

The tech agreed the old 420s weren't all that long lived and was surprised to see one there still plugging away.  He was also surprised to see the 420 connected to a larger Sammy LCD panel.  

Not surprising to me, paperwork didn't seem to show a new dish but  the tech jumped  right onto it with a new s tube mount and he ran new cable to the TV stand.

He also took the 420 with him when it was all done.  I asked if it was going to Living History Farms, and he said it was going in the recycle bin at the hub.

Customer loves the HDDVR, he needs an AM21, badly, and I'll take care of that for him next week.  Might remount the TV aerial (or replace it with a 2 way setup that seems to work pretty well in this area) on a tripod higher on the roof and delete the rotator.

I've had some other calls about this phaze out, I think most are in RVs.

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yeah I think it would be more suspicious if a customer just found a D12 on their doorstep one day.

You need to take off your tin foil hat, sir.

Much agreed;

Wow ... unless he's just trolling for the fun of it, I really don't understand why Dude111 persists in this senseless rant of totally unfounded accusations of some kind of conspiracy on this issue.

DIRECTV is the one actually losing money in this area giving out free D12s to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes with no contractual re-commitments. Nor has he ever submitted any evidence to demonstrate how the D12 is inferior to his or any other current MPG box much less that its a piece a "POS" in comparison beyond merely shouting it with CAPS and exclamation marks.  

• JBv likes this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#18 OFFLINE   tortured

tortured

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Much agreed;

Wow ... unless he's just trolling for the fun of it, I really don't understand why Dude111 persists in this senseless rant of totally unfounded accusations of some kind of conspiracy on this issue.

DIRECTV is the one actually losing money in this area giving out free D12s to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes with no contractual re-commitments. Nor has he ever submitted any evidence to demonstrate how the D12 is inferior to his or any other current MPG box much less that its a piece a "POS" in comparison beyond merely shouting it with CAPS and exclamation marks.  

I don't necessarily agree with his rant but I'm more sympathetic to his underlying issues than you.

I've been a DTV sub for over eleven years and one thing I have learned about DTV is that they don't move a muscle without a profit motive. I don't know whether a D12 receiver is a better functioning unit than my trusty old Hughes E2, but my unit has performed flawlessly over the years and I'm VERY reluctant to give it up, whether I have to lease the new unit or not. Since I don't know anything about the D12 model I won't negatively criticise it without attempting to use it.

What evidence do YOU have that "DTV is the one actually losing money ... giving out free D12s (sic) to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes..."? It seems to me they have the cash in hand to accomplish this switchout from subscriptions. I know that I pay over $60pm to watch a handful of channels and many of my friends/acquaintances pay considerably more, so I believe it's not a significant cost for them. Also, just because the mpg on my current receiver is not the same, technologically speaking, as whatever system they are now employing doesn't mean it's obsolete; it works well enough for me, thank you.

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

A couple of reasons why.

1)  Because some of these boxes are owned we have to make sure the customer knows the replacement will be leased.  There is no net change to the customer's bill as a result, but that has to be disclosed to the customer.  If boxes were just sent, that affirmative conversation couldn't happen.

2)  If you just send a box, what is no one is there to get it?  Or it is delivered on the porch and it is stolen, etc. Or if a box just happened to be there and a customer would want to know why its there

3)  For some customers this is their vacation home and they aren't there, sometimes for months

4)  It gives some customers the opportunity to just discontinue that older receiver.  For example, say a customer has 4 receivers on their account and one of them fits this description and it's in the kids room or the garage and rarely, if ever used.  Rather than paying for a receiver to be sent out, pay for shipping, etc, etc we allow the customer to say they actually want it replaced because they might instead say that old receiver and tv there don't use much or ever anymore so just take it off the account.

Those are some of the obvious reasons, but there are others. 

The new receivers deliver a better experience for customers with the newer generation receivers...they are faster, can display more channels, have interactivity, etc, etc.  These legacy receivers go back to 1994 in a day when local channels weren't offered on Directv, far far fewer channels even existed, no interactivity, etc. That older guide uses up separate bandwidth and operates on hardware that is quite dated (no receiver since 2003 uses that guide).  That guide has gone beyond it's intended life and because there are so few of these receivers left out there the time to reclaim that bandwidth to be used for other things will be utilized.  It also allows for better use of resources at the broadcast centers so they only have to monitor one guide that serves 100% of customers rather than two guides that serve 99% and 1% respectively.   There are a myriad of other reasons, but those are some of the highlights.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 21 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

In the near future, the old guide will be shut down and that will prevent any of the channels from working on those boxes that use that guide.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...