Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pre 2003 Receiver Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

What evidence do YOU have that "DTV is the one actually losing money ... giving out free D12s (sic) to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes..."? It seems to me they have the cash in hand to accomplish this switchout from subscriptions.

Whether they can afford it or not isn't really the point.  It would be bad business practice to make extra expenditures if not necessary. 

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

It only costs money to provide "new" receivers to people in exchange for their obsolete receivers if Directv has to pay to manufacture actual new receivers as a result. Are they still manufacturing SD receivers? I'd personally be a bit surprised if they were.

I would think there would be enough D1x receivers coming back from people swapping them out when they upgrade to HD and/or Genie that they have enough on hand to do this. That may be why they aren't pushing everyone nationwide to upgrade all at once with a single national deadline, but doing it in phases over time. They know the rates at which the D1x receivers are coming back from these upgrades, so they can plan for that when doing the MPG upgrades.

Even assuming it costs Directv money (aside from the shipping and occasional lost customer who is upset they can't keep their 15 year old receiver) perhaps it will save them money in the long run not having to support the old guide. I don't know what that costs, but transponder bandwidth certainly isn't free. There's no reason for them to do it just to piss people off, there must be a business case for doing so. Either simple profit/loss or other improvements that don't necessarily show up on the balance sheet like no longer having to support receivers without a RID.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I don't necessarily agree with his rant but I'm more sympathetic to his underlying issues than you.

I've been a DTV sub for over eleven years and one thing I have learned about DTV is that they don't move a muscle without a profit motive.

Well I've been with DIRECTV 18 years and no doubt the motive for many DIRECTV ventures is mainly profit, but here beyond the retirement of an obsolete system for some of the reasons SR just gave, I really don't see what real financial profits these could be.

... I don't know whether a D12 receiver is a better functioning unit than my trusty old Hughes E2, but my unit has performed flawlessly over the years and I'm VERY reluctant to give it up, whether I have to lease the new unit or not. Since I don't know anything about the D12 model I won't negatively criticise it without attempting to use it.

Fair enough, which is all I would ask Dude111 to do as well.

... What evidence do YOU have that "DTV is the one actually losing money ... giving out free D12s (sic) to replace all these obsolete MPG based boxes..."? It seems to me they have the cash in hand to accomplish this switchout from subscriptions. I know that I pay over $60pm to watch a handful of channels and many of my friends/acquaintances pay considerably more, so I believe it's not a significant cost for them

I don't hold that DIRECTV does not have the money to afford this, but that they still have to give out free D12s without charging some or all of the $69.00 (from the last time I checked) lease fee. And that is a defacto loss of money they could have otherwise charged.

... Also, just because the mpg on my current receiver is not the same, technologically speaking, as whatever system they are now employing doesn't mean it's obsolete; it works well enough for me, thank you.

But that doesn't have to mean DIRECTV is wrong for upgrading all its subscribers to a much better APG system, because a lesser capable and now technologically obsolete guide system is personally good enough for you.     

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#24 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ahh, hmmm….maybe to make them aware….

Well said peds, well said.

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ahh, hmmm….maybe to make them aware….

Not to mention making sure the address is correct  and not sending the receivers to a non-existing address.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   tortured

tortured

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Whether they can afford it or not isn't really the point.  It would be bad business practice to make extra expenditures if not necessary. 

So you're saying Dude 111 is paranoid but DirecTV is engaged in a bad business practice by switching D12's for older receivers.

Ok.

#27 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

So you're saying Dude 111 is paranoid but DirecTV is engaged in a bad business practice by switching D12's for older receivers.

Ok.

A standard DirecTV reciever is a standard DirecTV reciever. How is it bad practice they give you an older reciever that does the exact same thing the D12 does? It isn't. Also the word paranoid was never used so yay for adding in words. They mail out whatever is in the warehouse at the time. Now if you were talking about DVRs were some models have a larger HD than another then you may have had a point.

Edited by Volatility, 22 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

So you're saying Dude 111 is paranoid but DirecTV is engaged in a bad business practice by switching D12's for older receivers.

Ok.

No, I was referencing they wouldn't be swapping these if it wasn't something they need to do.  No intelligent company is going to add extra expenditures without a valid reason to do so.

• JBv likes this

#29 OFFLINE   racerbug

racerbug

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have a Sony SAT-1 in my moterhome, the dish is a Datron. When you park hit the button and the dish finds the sat. My problem is that they sent me a D12-100 and it has no way to plug into the dish.Is their another box available?

#30 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Have you tried a USB to RS232 converter? It has been a couple of years, but I do recall this question coming up when they first released the D11/D12 series of receivers. I know they support serial communications, but it would take some searching to find the details.

#31 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Have you tried a USB to RS232 converter? It has been a couple of years, but I do recall this question coming up when they first released the D11/D12 series of receivers. I know they support serial communications, but it would take some searching to find the details.

It's doubtful that the USB port on the D12 will be compatible with his dish.  There are publications from DirecTV detailing how the serial communications port on the SD receivers operates.  Look around DBSTALK for them.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Shouldn't Directv be responsible for making this right for him? Presumably they didn't know about his special requirements. Hopefully if he called and explained it to them, they'd be willing to either swap the D12 for a D10 (which I take it has the serial port he needs?) or provide him whatever USB to serial type solution would be necessary for his dish to work with the D12.

At some point his dish pointing solution may be obsolete as far as compatibility with supported Directv receivers, but if a D10 will work, that's not yet the case, and if USB can be made to work, he could even use HD receivers with his dish - though only be able to pick up SD signals with it, of course.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

these systems were supposed to be use with the M10 receiver, do not know if it is still available  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   kushnir

kushnir

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalif/Mexico

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Any Idea how they will handle exchange since I have a Sony that has serial output for steering RV antenna?

#35 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Newer receivers have USB ports, and there are USB/serial converters known to work with them. You could contact the manufacturer of your TV dish to see what your options are for using receivers with USB ports.

#36 OFFLINE   kushnir

kushnir

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalif/Mexico

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

I emailed Direct TV and this is the response I got.

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

The replacement receiver will work with your RV antenna; however, it requires a low-speed data port adapter. You can purchase these online at amazon.com and universalpart.com just to name a few. You can easily find these at stores or online by searching for an RS232 to USB adapter.

If you forward your account information I would be more than happy to issue a $25.00 credit towards the purchase of the cable.

Sincerely,

Chad
DIRECTV Office of the President

SO it appears that we can get a replacement that will work, keep our fingers crossed

• JBv likes this

#37 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Got the email the other day about this and finally called today.  What I find odd is that I actually have 2 receivers on my account that are on the list supplied, one a Hughes GAEB0 and the other a Hughes GCEB0A, but at this time they are saying that the only one on my account that is eligible for replacement is the GAEB0. To me that is strange because the GCEB0A is an identical box with just a few different features.  Not a big deal at this point but hope it gets straightened out at some point.

#38 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

The GCEB0A has the advanced program guide so it's not affected by the MPG shutdown.

#39 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

The GCEB0A has the advanced program guide so it's not affected by the MPG shutdown.

Did not know that, thought they were both APG.

#40 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

You didn't list the Sony SAT-T60 TiVo. :sure:

Edited by jdspencer, 04 September 2013 - 12:25 PM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...