Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pre 2003 Receiver Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   garyhalstead

garyhalstead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have not seen Directv post a date as to when a receiver will be obsolete or not work. Does anyone know? It could be another year?? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have not seen Directv post a date as to when a receiver will be obsolete or not work. Does anyone know? It could be another year?? 

Probably after we go a few months without seeing threads like this pop up, meaning that everyone who has such a receiver has already been notified :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#43 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I would think that prior to "pulling the switch" on the MPG they will make every effort to contact every sub who still is being billed for an MPG box.  Knowing how some people ignore email and even snail mail letters, I'm sure they will have CSR's phone the affected subs and let them know exactly what is happening.  Maybe DTV will program the MPG to receive only one channel which has a slide telling the sub what is going on.  Who knows?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

This is coming to a conclusion here by the end of this month.  All customers have been notified for the past 6 to 9 months (letters, emails, phone calls, etc) as well as on screen messaging that receivers needed to be replaced.  Final notifications with turnoff dates were recently sent out.   Just an update for those of you that still have an active receiver as programming will start to come down very soon.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

It is coming to an end tomorrow, Dec 13th. I haven't updated yet because I wanted to see what happens. I got an e-mail today saying that I had suspended my account.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

That's weird. Do you only have old boxes. Wonder why they suspended the account instead of just send you a message on screen that says we told you to upgrade! :)

#47 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Oh, I've been getting e-mails and on screen messages for months. I just wanted to see what happens when the old guide is shut off. 

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

SO you now have to un suspend your entire account?  That sucks...

#49 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm going to be in and out for the next few weeks. May as well have the account suspended. I don't know when I would be available for delivery of the replacement receiver and I don't want it left on the porch. As of 8:52 AM CST, the old receiver is still working.

#50 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Customers with ONLY MPG receivers were put in suspend so that they aren't charged for programming they no longer can receive. Since suspend status lasts for 6 months, it allows the customer to still exchange the receiver(s) for free in the next 6 months. This was done to protect the customer's options. Also, some customers have vacation homes, are on military leave, etc, and despite being notified for months, were unable to make the receiver exchange because of their situation. Thus, the suspend status buys them more time without incurring any charges.

For customers that have an MPG receiver but also regular receivers, they will start to see channels coming out of the guide over the course of the next few weeks until they are all gone by the end of the year.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Why are they dropping channels in small numbers at a time instead of just cutting off the MPG guide entirely on a certain date?

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'll bet it's not so easy to drop them. I'm guessing each has to be done individually. And that makes sense on the suspended account.

#53 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I guess I think of the "MPG guide" as a data stream carried on one or more transponders, which the MPG guide receivers access, and figured they could simply turn it off, and those receivers would no longer be capable of showing a guide.

Perhaps there also some MPG related data carried per channel, or per transponder (i.e. as an index for all the channels contained in that transponder) that is getting cleaned up first?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...