Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering Hopper Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have a Vip722, and a 211. I am looking into getting a Hopper, with only two TV's to connect, I really don't need a Joey as my 211 is working just fine for its location. Can you get just a Hopper now?

It seems that a number of older posts indicated that you could only get Hopper with a Joey, I don't see the need for bundle.

I also would want the OTA adaptor with it. And as usual it seems, determining what it may cost to do it and whether it would change my bill is also a question, I really don't want my bill to up at all.

Thanks for any feedback.
Norm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

211 would be canceled, so your option is Joey only (I did try from same setup)

call CSR and ask for final number in your new bill, perhaps you could be blessed for less :)

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

You may not see the need for a bundle, but Dish does, and guess whose position will prevail?

As I understand it, unless you can convince them that your 211 is in your RV, or is being used with a Tailgater portable dish, it can't be on the same account as a Hopper. You would have to get a Joey for your second TV.

Keith

#4 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

Mentor

• DISH Representative
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hi! I would be happy to help with this. Unfortunately, when you upgrade to the Hopper system you are required to change all equipment. I would be happy to review your account and see what we have available for you to upgrade and how much it would cost. Can you please send me a PM with your account number or phone number on the account? Thanks!
Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#5 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I was sort of hoping that Dish would finally get over the bundling and allow Customer's the option of configuring their receiver setup's based on their needs, not how Dish wants to provide them.. So I'll continue to review the options..

The big issue is I don't think I have a good means of getting a connection from a Hopper to a Joey based on location. If I need to have RG-6 cabling from the Hopper to connect to a Joey... Maybe it will work, I'll have to think about it a little more.

If I add an OTA adaptor to the Hopper, are those channels accessible on Joey's??

I want to confirm too, the new version of the Hopper, has Sling by default, or is there more than one model?
Norm

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Except for the need of a node for the H/J system, in most cases the wiring of the home is not much different than for what you may have with a 722 (usually when connected to only one tv) and the 211. In this case, the node can be used near the dish. It is when you have diplexers involved, people have problems but if they are used on line for Joeys, it's trying to diplex with the line to the Hopper that people have problems since this line cannot combined with any other type of signal (cable, internet or ota) that there are problems.

Now that I have that off my chest, in response to mormang: I am not sure why Dish does not allow other receivers with H/J (with the RV exemption of a 211) on the same account. It does seem Dish thinks that if want dvr on one tv, you want it on all tv's.
The OTA channels on Hopper are accessible on the Joeys but you have the one tuner.
There are currently only two versions of Hoppers, the original and Hopper w/sling.

#7 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

garys... The issue is that I don't have a means of easily getting a cable routed from a Hopper location to where a Joey would have to reside to replace a 211, that I don't really need or want to replace.

If I need a RG-6 cable from a Hopper to a Joey to make a moca connection. I have a dish and OTA connection going to the 722 location, and of course there is a Dish connection to the 211, but there isn't another connection to feed a moca connection from the Hopper to the Joey back to the Dish connection that goes to the 211, not without a bunch of futzing around that would not be needed if I didn't have a Joey requirement.

If I understood it correctly, if the OTA tuner is connected to the Hopper, I can view those channels on the Joey, but only if its not in use on the Hopper? Is that correct?

Is there a cost difference from a Hopper to Hopper W/Sling?

Thanks
Norm

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

You don't get the cabling idea for server-client setup as H+Js ... check diagrams at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#9 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

P Smith, its highly possible I don't understand it, so thanks for the link.
Norm

#10 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

P Smith (or anyone) I've been reviewing some of the diagrams noted on the link you sent, and does a Hopper/Joey Config work with a Dual Dish setup, I've got a 500 and a single for 129, not a Dish 1000. Though its going to a SW44 to my receivers.

I am starting to understand how this works, but still need some more study, I am sure that there are probably threads that have gone through this, but appreciate the feedback.
Norm

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

DPP44 is the key (not old SW44 !); then Solo Node (one H) or Duo Node for 2xH
check that PDF files ...

Edited by P Smith, 11 April 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yes, I have a DPP44.. I just need to study those connections a little more and then I can better decide how things will work for me. Then I still need to determine whether my monthly costs stay the same and what the upgrade may cost.
Norm

#13 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

OK, I think I've got it figured out for the most part on installation.

So I am not sure this is a easy question or not without asking Dish, but if I recall, the first receiver was included, and then there was the DVR fee, and then the fee for the secondary receiver(s). Does it work similar to that for Hopper Joey configs, so there is no fee for first Hopper/Joey, and then the DVR Fee and then a fee for a second Joey?
Norm

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

there is the fee: www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

in the forum we had very long threads when H/J begin installing ..people asked hundred questions and all answers came to same rules for fee - take a look
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203038
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203714

#15 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Keep in mind not to use port 1 on the 44 switch for 2 inputs to node the 1 port is for supplying current to dish u must have this connected with the power pack

#16 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

P Smith Thanks for the info.

Lonerwolf, since I am assuming that I will be unable to install it myself, if I upgrade, unless I purchase the hardware myself, I would hope that a good installer would be aware of that issue, though it is a very good point.
Norm

#17 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Are there any extra costs for related to Hopper with Sling?
Norm

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

no

#19 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

I had thought you were going to attempt it yourself

#20 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Lonerwolf, since I am assuming that I will be unable to install it myself, if I upgrade, unless I purchase the hardware myself, I would hope that a good installer would be aware of that issue, though it is a very good point.

I chose to do it my self with purchased hardware from Dish Depot in Florida.
I too, have a two dish setup with a DPP44 switch. Installation was very simple consisting of adding a Solo Node using two short cables from two of the bottom ports on the switch to the Node. Then connecting the cable which was going to my VIP722 to the proper port on the node and the cable from the existing 211 connected to the client port and to a Joey. This port will not work for a 211 but you have two left over ports on the DPP44 to connect a 211 (I think it needs to be a purchased one, not leased!) for verifying that it is up to date firmware wise for when you might need to use it tailgating, camping, etc.

I haven't purchased/leased the actual Tailgater from Dish but if you considered doing a lot of camping and moving around a lot, it would be a very useful setup. We don't do too much so setting up a Dish500 occasionally isn't that bad.

PS. Being a former Duluthian, I feel for you guys and the storms, snow and cold.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...