Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering Hopper Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I chose to do it my self with purchased hardware from Dish Depot in Florida.
I too, have a two dish setup with a DPP44 switch. Installation was very simple consisting of adding a Solo Node using two short cables from two of the bottom ports on the switch to the Node. Then connecting the cable which was going to my VIP722 to the proper port on the node and the cable from the existing 211 connected to the client port and to a Joey. This port will not work for a 211 but you have two left over ports on the DPP44 to connect a 211 (I think it needs to be a purchased one, not leased!) for verifying that it is up to date firmware wise for when you might need to use it tailgating, camping, etc.

I haven't purchased/leased the actual Tailgater from Dish but if you considered doing a lot of camping and moving around a lot, it would be a very useful setup. We don't do too much so setting up a Dish500 occasionally isn't that bad.

PS. Being a former Duluthian, I feel for you guys and the storms, snow and cold.

Thanks for the feedback. Once I read through some more installation docs, it does appear to be quite easy, and as you noted, the client mode from the solo node would not work with the 211.

Assuming you had leased gear that you replaced with your purchased Hopper/Joey, Did you merely send that back to Dish. or have you always purchased your receivers?

If I purchased receivers, I would not keep the 211, because I would probably deactivate it to control receiver costs and if I did that, I am not sure whether Dish would want it back or not.

The snow was annoying for the Thursday commute, but its already starting to melt. In comparison to last year, winter is lasting forever.
Norm

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Once I read through some more installation docs, it does appear to be quite easy, and as you noted, the client mode from the solo node would not work with the 211.

Assuming you had leased gear that you replaced with your purchased Hopper/Joey, Did you merely send that back to Dish. or have you always purchased your receivers?

If I purchased receivers, I would not keep the 211, because I would probably deactivate it to control receiver costs and if I did that, I am not sure whether Dish would want it back or not.

The snow was annoying for the Thursday commute, but its already starting to melt. In comparison to last year, winter is lasting forever.

I'm waiting for boxes to come from Dish for returning the leased receivers I have. I have some purchased receivers going all the way back to the original one Dish made. Currently, before the upgrade to H/J, I had a VIP622, 722, and 211 that were leased.
If your 211 is purchased, you don't need to send it back to Dish but will be deactivated unless you ask to keep it active and then there will be a $7 monthly charge. I'm sure that if you wanted to activate it again for camping/tailgating, it would be a simple call to Dish to activated it for the short time(s) needed. (That is the beauty of owning some hardware as it can be deactivated without sending it back and activated easily for when needed.)

I'm now pondering whether to get another Joey for the garage. I spend quite a lot of time out there, especially in the summer and like to keep up with the news and sports going on. Can;t make up my mind if I want a Joey or another Hopper. If another Hopper I would need to get a duo Node too which would add to the upgrade cost again. Hobby is getting expensive!

Oh, the Hoppers from Dish Depot are with Sling. Total cost for H/J and solo Node around 300.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#23 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I did get some info from a Dish Rep here on potential upgrade costs and it does cost more to purchase then to upgrade and remain on a lease. The service plan, which I do not have, would save some costs too, though I have rarely had a need for the service plan as I've had relatively few issues.

All my receivers are leased, so I assume if purchased, and I deactivate the 211, they would want it back??

I don't have time for a couple weeks to schedule an upgrade if I decide to do it.

We'll see how it goes.

thanks for the feedback

I'm waiting for boxes to come from Dish for returning the leased receivers I have. I have some purchased receivers going all the way back to the original one Dish made. Currently, before the upgrade to H/J, I had a VIP622, 722, and 211 that were leased.
If your 211 is purchased, you don't need to send it back to Dish but will be deactivated unless you ask to keep it active and then there will be a $7 monthly charge. I'm sure that if you wanted to activate it again for camping/tailgating, it would be a simple call to Dish to activated it for the short time(s) needed. (That is the beauty of owning some hardware as it can be deactivated without sending it back and activated easily for when needed.)

I'm now pondering whether to get another Joey for the garage. I spend quite a lot of time out there, especially in the summer and like to keep up with the news and sports going on. Can;t make up my mind if I want a Joey or another Hopper. If another Hopper I would need to get a duo Node too which would add to the upgrade cost again. Hobby is getting expensive!

Oh, the Hoppers from Dish Depot are with Sling. Total cost for H/J and solo Node around 300.

Norm

#24 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

normang, I would do this.

Replace your 722 and 211 with a Hopper w/Sling and a Joey. This new setup will increase your bill by $3 mo. A Hopper and a 211 would cost the same and IMO, unless you are planning on using your 211 on the road or you just want to keep the 211 separate from the rest of your system, there is no reason to run that setup.

Not sure why your current system required the use of a 44 switch but I would remove it and tie the 2 dishes together with a DPP Twin lnbf at your Dish 500 . This will eliminate the need for a separate line for the power inserter.

Assuming it meets the minimum rating requirement, your existing cable runs should be fine for the new setup.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

a DPP Twin lnbf

never heard about such LNBF ...

EDIT. Duh. That's my memory break on me ... didn't install the dishes last years ...

Edited by P Smith, 12 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

never heard about such LNBF ...

Very common, view 2 sats and has 2 outputs with 1 input and can use separator and with only 2 receivers there was no need for an external switch. Looks exactly like a DP Twin except for the DPP logo. I started using when had 110 and 119 and had to add 61.5.

#27 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

There was a time that I had more than two receivers, and the DPP44, came in handy. I think the Dish configuration was also different in the past. With a Hopper/Joey setup, I may not need the DPP44 perhaps, but there are enough connections not to have to worry about the one with the power inserter.

I have not decided what I am going to do just yet, leaning towards the upgrade, but the next week or more its not possible, just too busy to schedule an installation one way or another.

I have RG-6 For all my runs, so cabling is not an issue, and now that I understand how it works after studying some installation docs online, it should be a painless installation when the time comes.

normang, I would do this.

Replace your 722 and 211 with a Hopper w/Sling and a Joey. This new setup will increase your bill by $3 mo. A Hopper and a 211 would cost the same and IMO, unless you are planning on using your 211 on the road or you just want to keep the 211 separate from the rest of your system, there is no reason to run that setup.

Not sure why your current system required the use of a 44 switch but I would remove it and tie the 2 dishes together with a DPP Twin lnbf at your Dish 500 . This will eliminate the need for a separate line for the power inserter.

Assuming it meets the minimum rating requirement, your existing cable runs should be fine for the new setup.

Edited by normang, 12 April 2013 - 01:45 PM.

Norm

#28 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

There was a time that I had more than two receivers, and the DPP44, came in handy. I think the Dish configuration was also different in the past. With a Hopper/Joey setup, I may not need the DPP44 perhaps, but there are enough connections not to have to worry about the one with the power inserter.
I have RG-6 For all my runs, so cabling is not an issue, and now that I understand how it works after studying some installation docs online, it should be a painless installation when the time comes.

If you have a Dish install, and I expect that is what you should do, I would surmise that they will replace your two dishes with a newer single dish. You would no longer need the DPP44 but if you purchased it, I would hang on to it as who knows what the future will bring. The DPP44 is a very reliable device.

All leased vip's will have to be returned.

I ordered the OTA dongle from Dish (on-line) two days ago and it arrive today and has been installed. Works great. 30 bucks + tax, free shipping.

A bit of a learning curve operating the H/J system. Getting there gradually.

Interconnecting my H/J to two PC monitors(TVs) and my primary TV has been interesting. I think I have it all set now, including connecting the audio to my Telecoil system so I can listen to the sound from either unit with my hearing aids which have telecoils. Interesting concept.

Oh, one other thing. I really believe that the picture quality is a bit better than it was with the VIPs. (might be just my imagination though):grin:

I still believe in magic
!

#29 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

I would not mind if they updated me from my Disk 500 and Single for 129 to a Dish 1000, but I am not expecting that.. Couple minor concerns there is where my Dish's are mounted is not easy to get to, which is Ok, they've been reliable there, and unless they leave the original mount in place and seal it pretty well, I might get concerned about water leakage..

I am planning to get the OTA module as well. I am hoping that it can just come with the installer, if I find this is an issue, I'll order it in advance of installation. I am leaning that way, though its probably going to be a couple weeks out before I can schedule anything.

Sounds like you have an interesting setup.. Glad its working out for you.

Newer hardware, newer processing chips, its possible that it can look a bit crisper.. Barring issues, I may find out in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the feedback

If you have a Dish install, and I expect that is what you should do, I would surmise that they will replace your two dishes with a newer single dish. You would no longer need the DPP44 but if you purchased it, I would hang on to it as who knows what the future will bring. The DPP44 is a very reliable device.

I ordered the OTA dongle from Dish (on-line) two days ago and it arrive today and has been installed. Works great. 30 bucks + tax, free shipping.

Interconnecting my H/J to two PC monitors(TVs) and my primary TV has been interesting. I think I have it all set now, including connecting the audio to my Telecoil system so I can listen to the sound from either unit with my hearing aids which have telecoils. Interesting concept.

Oh, one other thing. I really believe that the picture quality is a bit better than it was with the VIPs. (might be just my imagination though):grin:

Norm

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

BTW, H has Bluetooth audio.

#31 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I would not mind if they updated me from my Disk 500 and Single for 129 to a Dish 1000

I assumed the reason you had a 2 dish setup was because you had LOS issues. If not, then a single dish would definatly be in order.

#32 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

I assumed the reason you had a 2 dish setup was because you had LOS issues. If not, then a single dish would definatly be in order.

No, my Dish setup does not have LOS issues, the reason for the Dual Dish setup is my original config was before 129 came along, I think it was 61, which of course was like 70 degrees different than 129 in the pointing direction.

Again, while I wouldn't mind if they deployed a Dish 1000, I am not expecting that should I order an upgrade, which I probably can't do for at least a couple weeks or so at best as I still ponder it a bit, but am leaning towards doing so.
Norm

#33 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

BTW, H has Bluetooth audio.

I've seen it mentioned and in the menu's somewhere but since I don't have bluetooth headphones, I haven't investigated it further.

Since I'm wearing hearing aids anyway, it is very convenient to switch them on (to the telecoil) and no one knows that I'm listening to the football game where the company can only watch it as I have the TV volume turned all the way down.  (to please the wife)

I still believe in magic
!

#34 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Well if you want your monthly bill to go up $20+ go ahead and upgrade to the Hopper.

I'm scheduled for an upgrade tomorrow and I'm seriously considering cancelling the install due to the $14 fee hike coming  next month.

My bill would have gone up by $11 anyway with the 2 Hoppers, but now with the Hopper DVR fee going from $10 to $14 and the Hopper receiver fee going from $7 to $14, that really pits a pinch in the pocketbook.

The more I think about it the more I am inclined to cancel the upgrade.

Edited by Jim5506, 18 April 2013 - 11:17 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#35 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Just talked it over with the Mrs. and I'm cancelling my upgrade to 2 Hoppers/3 Joeys scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

I can't justify the $21/month extra just for the Hoppers.

Before the fee increase it woulf have been $10 more per month but $21 - NO!

We'll get by with the 722k and 3 211's just fine.

Edited by Jim5506, 18 April 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#36 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

If you have Hopper/Joey receivers, the 211 receiver must be purchased and used with an RV or Tailgater.  If you currently have a leased 211 receiver, the leased receiver needs to be sent back to us.  Deactivated leased receivers should be sent back to us if deactivated an extended period of time.  Thanks.

#37 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Under the assumption that the price increase being discussed is accurate I am not planning a double Hopper/Joey system like it sounds like you are.

While any price increase under the current conditions is annoying and I hope that Dish will re-consider it since it hasn't been "officially" announced I don't think,

Still pondering, we shall see...

Well if you want your monthly bill to go up $20+ go ahead and upgrade to the Hopper.

I'm scheduled for an upgrade tomorrow and I'm seriously considering cancelling the install due to the $14 fee hike coming  next month.

My bill would have gone up by $11 anyway with the 2 Hoppers, but now with the Hopper DVR fee going from $10 to $14 and the Hopper receiver fee going from $7 to $14, that really pits a pinch in the pocketbook.

The more I think about it the more I am inclined to cancel the upgrade.

Norm

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,870 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Ray_C keep us in a dark ;) ...

#39 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

The price increase is indeed real... Already confirmed by DIRT.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#40 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

The price increase is indeed real... Already confirmed by DIRT.

Until it shows up on a bill, or its officially announced by Dish in some way shape or form, I don't consider the internet customer support team a completely valid source for this type of information, while I could be wrong, It seems odd that Dish would tell these staff members of a price increase, when other CSR's are routinely maligned for their lack of information when one call's Dish.  Why would the internet team get info that I suspect if you called Dish on the phone about a coming price increase you would probably not get a straight answer.

Again, could be way off base and the increase is merely weeks away, but its going to hit us all one way or another it appears, whether I upgrade to a Hopper or not, the issue then comes down to whether I consider having a Hopper/Joey setup worth the few extra $$ a month over my current configuration. While I am still considering the upgrade, the extra costs are a damper no matter what.. 

While some people are under the mis-conception that the economy is improving, its all media smoke and mirrors.. So any company raising prices now I think may in the long run may wished they had found better ways to augment their bottom-line other than with price increases on their products and services. While those options may not be easy, there are always things companies can do, hopefully other than cutting staff, that would save them money and not increase prices.  

In Dish's case, based purely on the news, trying to buy Sprint and seemingly sitting on billions of dollars to try and do that, would seem like there are far better uses of that cash, like maintaining or reducing prices.. Or working to re-negotiate contracts with content providers for better rates where they can to lower costs. While I am sure this one is pie in the sky, at some point, it has to stop... otherwise no one will be able to afford it.

Norm

Protected By... spam firewall...And...