Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering Hopper Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Until it shows up on a bill, or its officially announced by Dish in some way shape or form, I don't consider the internet customer support team a completely valid source for this type of information, while I could be wrong, It seems odd that Dish would tell these staff members of a price increase, when other CSR's are routinely maligned for their lack of information when one call's Dish.  Why would the internet team get info that I suspect if you called Dish on the phone about a coming price increase you would probably not get a straight answer.

Again, could be way off base and the increase is merely weeks away, but its going to hit us all one way or another it appears, whether I upgrade to a Hopper or not, the issue then comes down to whether I consider having a Hopper/Joey setup worth the few extra $$ a month over my current configuration. While I am still considering the upgrade, the extra costs are a damper no matter what.. 

While some people are under the mis-conception that the economy is improving, its all media smoke and mirrors.. So any company raising prices now I think may in the long run may wished they had found better ways to augment their bottom-line other than with price increases on their products and services. While those options may not be easy, there are always things companies can do, hopefully other than cutting staff, that would save them money and not increase prices.  

In Dish's case, based purely on the news, trying to buy Sprint and seemingly sitting on billions of dollars to try and do that, would seem like there are far better uses of that cash, like maintaining or reducing prices.. Or working to re-negotiate contracts with content providers for better rates where they can to lower costs. While I am sure this one is pie in the sky, at some point, it has to stop... otherwise no one will be able to afford it.

DIRT has always been far more accurate than phone support. Trust me, the price increase is real. Sure, you can hope that Dish changes their mind in a month, but based on their previous record, don't hold your breath.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Like I said, I could be wrong, but it still seems odd that they get info that others in Dish do not.  We shall see..

DIRT has always been far more accurate than phone support. Trust me, the price increase is real. Sure, you can hope that Dish changes their mind in a month, but based on their previous record, don't hold your breath.

Norm

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Like I said, I could be wrong, but it still seems odd that they get info that others in Dish do not.  We shall see..

DIRT is in a higher position to receive information than many other parts of DISH Network.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

DIRT is in a higher position to receive information than many other parts of DISH Network.

Hopefully they are communicating the intense dis-satisfaction with even more price increases in a crummy economy.
Norm

#45 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

So, for those of you that own a Hopper/Joey, how's the stability of the hardware/software? I have read some of the threads and it looks like there is room for improvement, but is it just minor issues?

Norm

#46 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Pretty stable for me most of the time.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#47 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, the issues are very minor.  Dish has been very good about updates and fixes with the Hopper, so I expect most of the minor issues will get fixed at some point.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#48 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I am still reviewing it all. The cost increase looks to be about $7 from my current config and that's somewhat annoying, even though it may not kick in for a month or so.    So i guess at this point, I am looking to identify perhaps some of the minor gltiches, I've seen something about favorites, though I am not sure how this translates to 722 favorites. If there are still standard lists, just as HD only or All Channels & All Subscribed channels?

I figure if I am aware of some glitches, i can try and determine whether I care in my usage or not.

Norm

#49 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Still had [really] bad cooling of H and overheating J.

#50 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

So is cooling an issue with these devices if they are reasonably vented?

Still had [really] bad cooling of H and overheating J.

Norm

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

J is very hot (~150F), but does not producing pesky warnings if it stay vertically,

H required to sit on spacings; I'm using four plactic boxes from DLT tapes in vert position, a clearance is almost 2" - looks weird, but its temp is low relative to other ppl - 111F

Edited by P Smith, 24 April 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

So your placing Joey's vertically and the Hopper's on added spacers to insure air flow, is there not some sort feet on the receiver already? Have you seem over heating error messages before doing what you describe?

Are others seeing temp issues in their setups?

J is very hot (~150F), but does not producing pesky warnings if it stay vertically,

H required to sit on spacings; I'm using four plactic boxes from DLT tapes in vert position, a clearance is almost 2" - looks weird, but its temp is low relative to other ppl - 111F

Norm

#53 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have 2 Hoppers.  The main one that I use is not on any spacers, but is in a rack that is very open.  No heat issues at all.

The other one is in my son's room, in a rack that is only open on the front and has his PS3 sitting on top of it.  No heat issues with it either.

Lloyd

#54 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I am still reviewing it all. The cost increase looks to be about $7 from my current config and that's somewhat annoying, even though it may not kick in for a month or so.    So i guess at this point, I am looking to identify perhaps some of the minor gltiches, I've seen something about favorites, though I am not sure how this translates to 722 favorites. If there are still standard lists, just as HD only or All Channels & All Subscribed channels?

I figure if I am aware of some glitches, i can try and determine whether I care in my usage or not.

It still has the standards, all channels, HD only, My Channels.  And also allows for 4 additional favorites that you set up.

Lloyd

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

So your placing Joey's vertically and the Hopper's on added spacers to insure air flow, is there not some sort feet on the receiver already? Have you seem over heating error messages before doing what you describe?

Are others seeing temp issues in their setups?

these are regular rubber feet, not enogh to create adequate air flow ... a table's surface has been heated very high before the spacers :(

btw, I added 4x times bigger heatsink to main CPU with own small fan runnng 24/7, before that its temp was above 140 F :eek2:

#56 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

if the potential for heat issues, which can be compensated for, and the favorites issue I've seen reported is about it.. that seems relatively stable. I'll have to do some more reading, I guess for the rate increase, the added functionality & storage may make it worth it.. 

The equipment costs are getting steep though.. I just wish they would stop futzing around with all the fees' and come up with packages that included the hardware and the programming for a single price depending on the programming package and call it a day.

Norm

#57 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I was looking at some of the screenshots and noted a cursor, does that navigate via the cursor keys on the remote to make selections? I am assuming it does, but wanted to sure. Does it work well, can you easily select items and menus??

Norm

#58 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

by default, the cursor jumping between buttons; to utilize mouse-like movement use ADESSO keyboard - see my other thread here

Edited by P Smith, 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

If I have shows on my 722, and I copy them to an EHD, can I move the EHD to a Hopper will it want to reformat and erase the shows or will it work?

Norm

#60 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

If I have shows on my 722, and I copy them to an EHD, can I move the EHD to a Hopper will it want to reformat and erase the shows or will it work?

Yes and no it won't reformat. It will work.

spam firewall