Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pondering Hopper Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

J is very hot (~150F), but does not producing pesky warnings if it stay vertically,

H required to sit on spacings; I'm using four plactic boxes from DLT tapes in vert position, a clearance is almost 2" - looks weird, but its temp is low relative to other ppl - 111F

Edited by P Smith, 24 April 2013 - 10:20 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

So your placing Joey's vertically and the Hopper's on added spacers to insure air flow, is there not some sort feet on the receiver already? Have you seem over heating error messages before doing what you describe?

Are others seeing temp issues in their setups?

J is very hot (~150F), but does not producing pesky warnings if it stay vertically,

H required to sit on spacings; I'm using four plactic boxes from DLT tapes in vert position, a clearance is almost 2" - looks weird, but its temp is low relative to other ppl - 111F

Norm

#53 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have 2 Hoppers.  The main one that I use is not on any spacers, but is in a rack that is very open.  No heat issues at all.

The other one is in my son's room, in a rack that is only open on the front and has his PS3 sitting on top of it.  No heat issues with it either.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#54 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I am still reviewing it all. The cost increase looks to be about $7 from my current config and that's somewhat annoying, even though it may not kick in for a month or so.    So i guess at this point, I am looking to identify perhaps some of the minor gltiches, I've seen something about favorites, though I am not sure how this translates to 722 favorites. If there are still standard lists, just as HD only or All Channels & All Subscribed channels?

I figure if I am aware of some glitches, i can try and determine whether I care in my usage or not.

It still has the standards, all channels, HD only, My Channels.  And also allows for 4 additional favorites that you set up.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

So your placing Joey's vertically and the Hopper's on added spacers to insure air flow, is there not some sort feet on the receiver already? Have you seem over heating error messages before doing what you describe?

Are others seeing temp issues in their setups?

these are regular rubber feet, not enogh to create adequate air flow ... a table's surface has been heated very high before the spacers :(

btw, I added 4x times bigger heatsink to main CPU with own small fan runnng 24/7, before that its temp was above 140 F :eek2:

#56 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

if the potential for heat issues, which can be compensated for, and the favorites issue I've seen reported is about it.. that seems relatively stable. I'll have to do some more reading, I guess for the rate increase, the added functionality & storage may make it worth it.. 

The equipment costs are getting steep though.. I just wish they would stop futzing around with all the fees' and come up with packages that included the hardware and the programming for a single price depending on the programming package and call it a day.

Norm

#57 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I was looking at some of the screenshots and noted a cursor, does that navigate via the cursor keys on the remote to make selections? I am assuming it does, but wanted to sure. Does it work well, can you easily select items and menus??

Norm

#58 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

by default, the cursor jumping between buttons; to utilize mouse-like movement use ADESSO keyboard - see my other thread here

Edited by P Smith, 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

If I have shows on my 722, and I copy them to an EHD, can I move the EHD to a Hopper will it want to reformat and erase the shows or will it work?

Norm

#60 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

If I have shows on my 722, and I copy them to an EHD, can I move the EHD to a Hopper will it want to reformat and erase the shows or will it work?

Yes and no it won't reformat. It will work.

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

it was long thread about issue with EHD acceptance from old DVR models ... :blowout:

#62 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

So based on one posters comment, it should work, though if there was a long thread discussing the issue, was the consensus that it was hit or miss on whether an EHD would work on a Hopper coming from a 722 or some other appropriate model??

Norm

it was long thread about issue with EHD acceptance from old DVR models ... :blowout:

Edited by normang, 25 April 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Norm

#63 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

So based on one posters comment, it should work, though if there was a long thread discussing the issue, was the consensus that it was hit or miss on whether an EHD would work on a Hopper coming from a 722 or some other appropriate model??

Norm

The issue early on was that some recordings when copied form the the EHD to the Hopper became corrupted. This has been corrected to my knowledge. Its not necessary to move them to the Hopper any way. They can be played back from the EHD with no issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...