Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24: A Problem has been detected in the storage device

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Got this on screen error on my HR24:

A Problem has been detected in the storage device

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical error.

I rebooted twice (soft), and once with a hard pull the plug.
Hard drive made some unusual sounds.

Venturing to guess the hard disk crashed?

I have the projection plan, but still stinks.

Any ideas short of calling and getting a replacement sent?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

If it doesn't even try to fix the drive... sorry to tell you it's toast.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

If it doesn't even try to fix the drive... sorry to tell you it's toast.

Oh well, I just wish it happened on Monday not right before the weekend.

Couple quick questions…

1) If I have the protection plan, they should swap out without a contract extension, correct?

2) What is more common for w/ protection plan, send a tech or mail the receiver?

3) What’s the 2013 most common model? Back when I got these, HR24’s were a crap shoot, but these days are they standard, or is there a newer model excluding the genie? I use component-> sling box, HDMI-> TV, Digital Optical -> Audio receiver, so any replacement for me would require component and Digital optical.

Hate it when this happens, appreciate the help

#4 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Couple quick questions…

1) If I have the protection plan, they should swap out without a contract extension, correct?

2) What is more common for w/ protection plan, send a tech or mail the receiver?

3) What’s the 2013 most common model? Back when I got these, HR24’s were a crap shoot, but these days are they standard, or is there a newer model excluding the genie? I use component-> sling box, HDMI-> TV, Digital Optical -> Audio receiver, so any replacement for me would require component and Digital optical.

Hate it when this happens, appreciate the help

Answered my own questions
1) No contract extension
2) Send via FedEx
3) No info

Kind of bummed, I'd drive to my local contractor office and swap it out, ... I don't want to be without my receiver until next week. 3 business days not counting the weekend... that's kind of bogus. I'm not usually a Comcast fan, but at least you can drive to their office and swap out immediately. I don't think it's acceptable to leave a customer hanging on a Thursday until next week, Tuesday or so. Any suggestions? Is it too much to ask to have my bill pro-rated while it's out? It's more the principle than the $, just stinks!!!

#5 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

your outage will not affect any other customer .. so, signal is still broadcasting 24/7: if all IRDs will go down,the company still getting their money
if you feel you pay for nothing, discuss with them some sort of compensation

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

You could stang on down to Bestbuy and pick up an external. That might get you up and running.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

A friend of mine who knew his HDD was sick has been limping along with it for over a year.  He ran the extensive diagnostics and formatting routines and afterwords it still had lots of errors but didn't seem to affect operation.

Meanwhile, he got the new software (66d).  Apparently, this new software runs a dish scan every time the receiver is restarted or switched on from a power loss.  He was grumbling to me that it now takes OVER AN HOUR for it to go online.

Bottom line:  There are probably LOTS AND LOTS of DVR's with sick HDD's that have been that way for a long time but their users never knew because they never ran the extensive HDD test before.  I bet DirecTV's CSR's are getting all kinds of calls about this from concerned users...

PS: My frazzled friend is finally going to break down and get a new drive for it.   :dance:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

All new software downloads run the disk checks as part of startup.

#9 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Called DTV:  Thursday

Received new box:  Monday.

Received a Refurb HR24.  I'm OK with that.

During the activation process,  the CSR was pretty clueless...she had me test 2 channels, test a recording, etc.  Then she was about to hang up and I said wait, let's test a recording to the other room via MRV.

Good call, because it didn't work.  Checked the HR, no network connectivity.  Should be a simple connect.  She did the generic "reset your router!" thing, and not change anything on the DVR.  It still didn't work.

I said it has the wrong IP address, no gateway/DNS, can I just copy the settings from my other receiver?  She said no, we're going to have to set up a service call.  I said, I've been inconvenienced since last week without a TV in my living room, I'm not taking off work for a guy to come out and connect me to the internet.  Can we troubleshoot this over the phone?  She said no, we've exhausted all that I can do.  I said we haven't tried ANYTHING!  She got short with me and said I'm transferring you to set up a service call.  So let me get this straight, on Thursday when I wanted a technician (I have the darn protection plan) so I'd have TV over the weekend, I couldn't get a service call (receivers sent by mail) but you're willing to send a technician to connect it to the internet?  Crazy!!?!?!

While they were transferring me, I simply rebooted the receiver, during reboot a less usefu tech came to schedule the service, when the receiving came up, it worked, no issues.  That's it.

I'm a little disgusted with their lack of willing to troubleshoot something so simple, and to just give up and send a technician.  Especially considering all you had to do is reboot the receiver.

........ it all ended well, but I'm a little surprised on the level of service.

#10 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Couple quick questions…

They will swap out without a contract extension regardless of whether you have the protection plan.

• kymikes likes this
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

They will swap out without a contract extension regardless of whether you have the protection plan.

Famous last words!

Be sure to call in a day or two later and ask what (if any) your commitment date is.  You might get a surprise.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Famous last words!

Be sure to call in a day or two later and ask what (if any) your commitment date is.  You might get a surprise.

I'll rephrase. They are not suppose to give you a new commitment for a receiver swap even if you do not have the PP.

The "system glitch" that lasted for years that caused that issue was supposively fixed.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#13 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

No they just replaced 3 of my 7 receivers and well i have a new commitment date and I have the protection plan. Need to call in.

#14 OFFLINE   tmtech

tmtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

How do you run the disk diagnostics? Is that something a customer can do?

#15 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

In my experience, I've found some SRs will run through the wrong process to replace IRDs, instead of performing a normal replacement they'll process it as an upgrade, which makes for a nasty surprise on the customer's end.

EDIT: I've got a cold, I'm on Sudafed, DayQuil, and all hopped up on caffeine. I messed a couple words up and now I feel bad.

Edited by ikoniq, 23 April 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

How do you run the disk diagnostics? Is that something a customer can do?

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Only hope, unless you want to install your own new hard drive, is to activate your protection plan. My new unit will be here Friday. No new commitment.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

Protected By... spam firewall...And...