Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do I have any hope?!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Daddyo

Daddyo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I've been a DirecTV subscriber for about 5 years now. Never had a problem with the service, rather enjoy it! I finally got rid of my last ancient dinosaur TV and replaced it with an LCD. As you can imagine I had a SD receiver on that TV.

I'd like to just replace that with an HD receiver. No DVR, no bells and whistles. Calling DirecTV, they want me to sign a 2 year contract to replace my SD receiver with an HD one. 2 friggin years!? Is there anything I can legally do to get an HD receiver without a 2 year commitment? I could understand it if I was swapping out a DVR, but to anchor a basic receiver swap with a 2 year contract is ridiculous!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

PM Texasbrit and see if he still has an H21 for sale. No commitment and a safe transaction. His post doesn't say sold, but it's over a month old.

You already have HD on other sets?

But any HD receiver and any DVR is considered "advanced" with a two year. Getting a real owned box overrides that.

#3 OFFLINE   Daddyo

Daddyo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I do have HD service already, I have two HD DVR's. They won't require a commitment to activate an "owned" box?

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I do have HD service already, I have two HD DVR's. They won't require a commitment to activate an "owned" box?

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just try and find an owned HD receiver. Ebay has some, just verify that the receiver is owned and clear to be on your account. Ask for the Access Card department when asking about the status of a receiver. It will cost you $20 for a new access card though.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

True, forgot to mention the access card. I personally would be hesitant with eBay even if the RID I'm given checks out.

Though I do find it funny, I don't know Texasbrit personally, but probably wouldn't bother asking for the ID. Same goes for many other members.

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

True, forgot to mention the access card. I personally would be hesitant with eBay even if the RID I'm given checks out.

Though I do find it funny, I don't know Texasbrit personally, but probably wouldn't bother asking for the ID. Same goes for many other members.

I have bought at least 4-5 over the years off eBay and never had a problem. Checked them out properly first and they all worked just fine.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,382 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

eBay buyers beware

Ebay http://reviews.ebay....000000004230191
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have bought at least 4-5 over the years off eBay and never had a problem. Checked them out properly first and they all worked just fine.

I've heard of buyers getting a different box, that doesn't match the RID, and get stuck with a doorstop. I don't know how common it really is, but gives me pause.

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Are you planning to leave DIRECTV within the next two years? If not then why not just get another receiver from DIRECTV? If you're a 2 year customer you might even get a HD DVR for free if you call and ask.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

I can see why someone might not want to go under contract. Circumstances change, etc.

I admit I've found it odd that an R16, an H21 and an HR44 trigger the same commitment, especially when it's a simple customer self install.

#12 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

A DVR from a standard is not a basic receiver swap. Dvrs are considered advanced equipment and advanced equipment carries a 2 yr agreement. It is no much different than cell phone companies requiring a commitment for upgrading your phone. It is a basic business model. Also I would stay far away from eBay. Alot of those receivers are really leased and could cause you more problems like I had a customer once get a dvr from ebay and she called in wanting to know why she could only record 1 show at once. It was because she tried to do her own sd to dvr install and only had 1 sat cable going to the dvr and did not have a swm system. She ended up having to pay for a service call and would have come up cheaper if she had just called in as she qualified for a free swap :-/

Edited by Volatility, 11 April 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Seems some things should require a shorter commitment. Why should my ordering one Genie and self installing trigger the same commitment as a new install that the installer spends several hours on and a lot more equipment?

I know it's the way it works, I am under contract after self installing a Genie.

#14 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Seems some things should require a shorter commitment. Why should my ordering one Genie and self installing trigger the same commitment as a new install that the installer spends several hours on and a lot more equipment?

I know it's the way it works, I am under contract after self installing a Genie.

You are right in that is the way it works but the installation has nothing to do with the commitment. Unless you qualify for free installation the install is 49.00 (plus any custom charges). So the part where you repay the time the installer doing work for hours is done with. You upgraded your equipment leased meaning it was either free or at leased pricing. Whenever DirecTV gives you a discount on a receiver they are going to want a commitment to help retrieve the cost of giving you that deal. Now if you do not want an agreement you can get the option of owning the reciever and paying a lot more although owning a genie is not available at this time.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Yes, but their cost for giving you an H25 cannot be the same as an HR34, yet it is possible to get both for free with the same commitment. I'm certainly not saying the Genie should have a longer commitment than 2 years though.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,382 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

It is no much different than cell phone companies requiring a commitment for upgrading your phone.

Not anymore. see T-Mobile. I'm glad someone is stepping up to put an end to the "stronghold" the big two has on the cell phone market. I will be switching to T-Mobile as soon as my contract with Ma-Bell is over., more so as a principle.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Not anymore. see T-Mobile. I'm glad someone is stepping up to put an end to the "stronghold" the big two has on the cell phone market. I will be switching to T-Mobile as soon as my contract with Ma-Bell is over., more so as a principle.

Thats right! I forgot all about T-Mobile. I am kinda wondering how long they can do that as companies say they do it for financial reasoning. I hope they pull it off to help prove it is possible. I tried to get them and they sent me a rejection letter my credit score is bad and can not get the services when my credit score is pretty decent like 690ish. I can get student loans, and a car loan but can't get T-Mobile. Go figure lol

#18 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

It is no much different than cell phone companies requiring a commitment for upgrading your phone.

Sure it is. I can sell the phone when I am done with it.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#19 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

I've heard of buyers getting a different box, that doesn't match the RID, and get stuck with a doorstop. I don't know how common it really is, but gives me pause.

Pay with paypal. If they won't take paypal, don't buy it. That way if you are emailed a certain RRID, and the box you get isn't the same one, paypal will give you your money back.

#20 OFFLINE   Daddyo

Daddyo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and find an "owned" box to activate. My biggest reason for not going with a contract is I'm looking to move out of the country in the next year or two and don't really want to have to pay a disconnect fee. Same reason I'm not upgrading my cell phone!

spam firewall