Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Microsoft recommending uninstallation of patch

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

http://support.micro....com/kb/2839011

They are recommending users uninstall MS13-036, it's causing blue screens. They have pulled it as well, will rerelease when fixed.
  • FHSPSU67 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Odd. My PC received Security Update (2823324) on April 10 as part of Microsoft's monthly updates. Have not experienced any of the symptoms nor have I received any warning from Microsoft.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I too have it installed and haven't seen any problems.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

If all systems blue screened, it wouldn't have been released with the issue in the first case. Just passing on their recommendation.

#5 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

If all systems blue screened, it wouldn't have been released with the issue in the first case. Just passing on their recommendation.

thing is Kaspersky AV is specifically mentioned in the procedure, might only be affecting machines with that installed. I am using Trend Micro and have not seen the problem

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

thing is Kaspersky AV is specifically mentioned in the procedure, might only be affecting machines with that installed. I am using Trend Micro and have not seen the problem

You're probably right.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

That is one symptom, but the blue screen issue is not dependent on Kaspersky. The patch is causing multiple issues.

And an email did go out, but you have to sign up for security bulletin notifications.

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

That is one symptom, but the blue screen issue is not dependent on Kaspersky. The patch is causing multiple issues.

And an email did go out, but you have to sign up for security bulletin notifications.

I am signed up, none of my machines are experiencing the reported issue and one of them is a dedicated online gaming machine, so not going to bother with uninstalling it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Mine installed this update this morning, and it rebooted, got to the Windows screen, then rebooted about 5 times before it finally booted up. I am removing it now, as recommended, before something bad happens on the next reboot. Thanks for the heads up.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,478 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for posting this notice. This installed yesterday on both machines - mine and my wife's. No apparent problem, but why take a chance? It was easy to uninstall since the machines were running and nothing had installed after it.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

Havent installed patches for almost a year. Auto Update is turned off. Never really understood why people flock and do this. If your computer is running perfect why would you risk messing it up ? Been running a personal PC since the 70's Once you have the programs you like working and a stable PC leave it alone. Unless your a glutent that is always installing programs and downloading things you shouldnt be.

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

Havent installed patches for almost a year. Auto Update is turned off. Never really understood why people flock and do this. If your computer is running perfect why would you risk messing it up ? Been running a personal PC since the 70's Once you have the programs you like working and a stable PC leave it alone. Unless your a glutent that is always installing programs and downloading things you shouldnt be.

Windows updates are needed to patch "new" security flaws and/or fix bugs in the system. Antivirus software works fine when initially installed but needs updating for the same reasons. Or do you have your antivirus updates turned off as well? :sure:

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Uninstalled- just need to do reboot.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#14 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

advantage to "download but let me choose".. usually a week or so behind :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

It's been four days since my PC received Security Update (2823324). Still not having any issues.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Not installing security patches is a bad idea. Running unpatched browsers, unpatched Flash/Java (if installed at all), all it takes is a bad ad, even on a trusted site, and could be too late. 

One time at work, I had UNC'd into a systems drive, saw a lnk file in Explorer. By then it was too late (no clicking necessary), as they weren't as good about pushing out patches as they should have been.

A developer at work ran into issues with the patch.

Edited by dpeters11, 14 April 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,424 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks dpeters11!
I received my new system last Monday 4-8 and after attempting to install a dual-boot Win7-64 system I was receiving one of the symptoms mentioned in MS's article. Eventually worked my way around it using EasyBCD, but I'll bet this update (now removed) was at the root of my problems.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Microsoft has released a new package2840149 to replace 2823324. Uninstallation of the old patch before installing the new one is not required, but recommended by Microsoft. 

#19 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,424 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Got it this morning along with 2 others. I got 5 yesterday that took an eternity to install.

Thanks again for the updates.

Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Microsoft has released a new package2840149 to replace 2823324. Uninstallation of the old patch before installing the new one is not required, but recommended by Microsoft. 

Never experienced any issues with 2823324 after it was installed. This morning my PC received 2840149 but didn't get a recommendation from Microsoft to uninstall 2823324.   

Protected By... spam firewall...And...