Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie client C31 running hot @150°F

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Why would I open them up? They are running fine. That's the thing, you say they shouldn't be running fine yet mine and others with temps similar do have boxes that are running ok.

If you really want to know what is inside then call up Directv and tell them you want one. That way at least you'll actually have one in possession to give out some meaningful info instead of just guesses.

Just saying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

each chip has own complicity, you must not apply blindly op temp from i7 to the BCM; it's incorrect guess

adding to that, yes you see temp sensor reading not the Broadcom chip itself, so counting that I would say the main chip is hotter :(

I'm not blindly applying the i7 temp. spec to the BCM -- I used that as an example to show that even consumer level equipment now has upper temperatures that can exceed 70 C.  In other words, it's just as incorrect to assume 70C is the upper limit.

The part is Broadcom BCM7340, as mentioned earlier in the thread.  But I couldn't find the technical datasheet for it.

Edited by bobcamp1, 25 April 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm not blindly applying the i7 temp. spec to the BCM -- I used that as an example to show that even consumer level equipment now has upper temperatures that can exceed 70 C.  In other words, it's just as incorrect to assume 70C is the upper limit.

The part is Broadcom BCM7340, as mentioned earlier in the thread.  But I couldn't find the technical datasheet for it.

he mentioned two different chips in his post .... which one is  in C31 (and in C41) ?

also, again, BCM chips are different class, they are not CPU like Intel's, they are like ST Micro chips as posted before

Edited by P Smith, 25 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   lacibaci

lacibaci

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

The chip is BCM7408. Here is a higher resolution photo:

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

I could not find any (temp) specs.  Also, I could not see where the temperature sensor is. Maybe someone can recognize the part from above photo.

Lac

Edited by lacibaci, 27 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

can't get anything clicking on your URL :(

have you seen on the PCB small chip with 8 pins and labeled "LM75"  ?

Edit: got it (on different PC) - thank you. Resolution is not that good to read the BCM model, but I trust you :).

Can't tell about other ICs if some of those is temp sensor. Need better picture or short BOM ;).

By reading labels on the board, I would say Pace hired other company ENTONE to make the C31 client.

Edited by P Smith, 28 April 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#66 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Problem solved. Got a small USB powered fan for ~$2, plugged it into C31 (the USB is powered even when C31 is off) and put C31 on top. The temp is now under 100°F.

fan.jpg

See? I told you it was the fan. ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Isn't right time to eat a crow ? :D It's BCM7408 !

As to operating temp vs reliability I would recommend you read the short article: http://www.pcpower.c...nology/optemps/

#68 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:41 PM

Just an update...

It's been over a year now with our C31 Clients running at the same temps I posted in this thread and they are still running fine.

#69 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Just an update...

It's been over a year now with our C31 Clients running at the same temps I posted in this thread and they are still running fine.

I'm glad you posted this, because I just started using a C31-700 and its Temp was up to 159.  But still no working issues.

Directv Tech supports claims they can Run at 170F before the warning on the screen start.

The box its self isn't even hot to the touch.

I don't understand though, with no power supply inside , why is it so damn hot??

#70 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

http://blog.solidsig...Mini-Client-get

[...] the temperature sensor is placed near one of the larger chips. It's normal for this chip to run hot [...] We've seen temperature readings as high as 155 and it hasn't been a problem. 

/steve

#71 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

if you are not reading by URLs, here is a quote for you:

The life of an electronic device is directly related to its operating temperature. Each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%*. Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%.

Edited by P Smith, 25 May 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#72 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

if you are not reading by URLs, here is a quote for you:

For that quote to be meaningful to this discussion, it would help to know what the expected component life is to begin with. 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? I remember using a Sharp 19" CRT for hours a day for over 20 years without a failure. I'll bet it got pretty hot inside.

At any rate, as someone mentioned earlier, if the customer has the protection plan, what does it matter? :shrug:

/steve

#73 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

As already stated, the clients will warn you when temp is excessive. You will get a message on the screen.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Protected By... spam firewall...And...