Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No ground required.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

Just moved recently and had service installed at new home. Installer didn't ground dish? Called Directv (have the service plan wanted me to upgrade to premium service plan) and they said sometimes ground is not always necessary. Live in Southwest Florida guess they are ok with system getting zapped.:nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

It's always necessary. Call back and talk to a different CSR.

#3 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I was talking with a technical support person. One of my HD-DVR's quit working. I remembered there was no ground at the end of conversation and that was the response I was given.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I was talking with a technical support person. One of my HD-DVR's quit working. I remembered there was no ground at the end of conversation and that was the response I was given.

BS. Call back. ALL installations require proper grounding to meet local codes.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

CSRs are flat out lying, every installation should be grounded.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Just moved recently and had service installed at new home. Installer didn't ground dish? Called Directv (have the service plan wanted me to upgrade to premium service plan) and they said sometimes ground is not always necessary. Live in Southwest Florida guess they are ok with system getting zapped.:nono2:

As others have noted, grounding is required by your local jurisdiction. It does little or nothing to prevent the equipment (or you) getting zapped by lightning. It does, however provide a safety ground which would minimize the chances of getting electrocuted by a faulty electrical system or equipment failure.

Grounding is a requirement, the D* rep gave you bad information. Call them back and make them do it correctly. (at no cost to you)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Correct, but even if there were no code, the underlying reason for grounding is safety of life and property. I would never install a dish without a proper ground. This isn't the place to take shortcuts.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

The CSR is likely misinformed or guessing because they are unable or unwilling to find the correct information through research.

#9 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I wouldn't worry about it- where you live there are hardly any storms. :hurah:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#10 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

How do i know if my system is grounded?

#11 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I would suggest that they are not using their resources or are misinformed. "Lying" suggests intentional misconduct on their behalf and there is no way to ascertain that.
For reference, NEC (National Electric Code) REQUIRES proper grounding and if the system cannot be properly grounded the install is supposed to be cancelled.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

How do i know if my system is grounded?

Short of needing an ohmeter, visually follow the cable(s) coming from the dish. They (or "it" id only one) should connect first in line to a ground block like so;

Posted Image

Or maybe;

Posted Image

Which has a (usually) green colored wire connected from it to any convenient screw on your electrical service panel casing.

#13 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

just as an aside, back in the bad old days when anyone could install, I've lost count of how many systems I've seen grounded to propane tanks

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#14 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

just as an aside, back in the bad old days when anyone could install, I've lost count of how many systems I've seen grounded to propane tanks

Posted Image
  • pdxBeav likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

…and as sad as it sounds, there are millions of systems out there ungrounded that are working perfectly fine. :confused: I'm not saying that is ok, rather pointed out a fact. Do not flame me….
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I had a tech tell me one time. The dish grounding isn't needed (installed at ground level). Told me to remove it a few weeks after he left. I never did. I know what grounding is for. No way is grounding getting removed!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I had my township's electrical inspector look at my installation and he said it was OK. Not enough power to worry about. My system has never been grounded and I don't think it's made any difference.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

It always needs to be grounded sorry you were mistold. No exceptions. I hate it when CSRS flat out lie. Like if you don't know look it up in the scripts or ask a TL if you can't please find a new job outside of customer service -.-

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

It always needs to be grounded sorry you were mistold. No exceptions. I hate it when CSRS flat out lie. Like if you don't know look it up in the scripts or ask a TL if you can't please find a new job outside of customer service -.-

Then why are the plugs on all the HRs two pronged? Do you have a seperate ground for your refrigerator? I don't like grounding discussions. Too many people have too many opinions.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Then why are the plugs on all the HRs two pronged? Do you have a seperate ground for your refrigerator? I don't like grounding discussions. Too many people have too many opinions.

Rich

We aren't talking about fridges here.
Like others said it is a requirement and is necessary:

It's always necessary. Call back and talk to a different CSR.

As others have noted, grounding is required by your local jurisdiction. It does little or nothing to prevent the equipment (or you) getting zapped by lightning. It does, however provide a safety ground which would minimize the chances of getting electrocuted by a faulty electrical system or equipment failure.

Grounding is a requirement, the D* rep gave you bad information. Call them back and make them do it correctly. (at no cost to you)

• Laxguy likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...