Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No ground required.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

I agree.  I much prefer The Electrician's Handbook, which tells you what to do and how to do it.  

Rich

Sorry about the double entry.  I tried to post the first one and the second one and they didn't got thru, now I see they are both on. Don't know what happened.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sorry about the double entry.  I tried to post the first one and the second one and they didn't got thru, now I see they are both on. Don't know what happened.

Rich

Whatever it was/is, it also happened to me with every post I put up here.

#83 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Rich

Ground loop? ;)

#84 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Rich

That obviously happened because of a failure to ground the thread.

#85 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

The problem has been reported to the Department of Redundancy Department.

#86 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

!rolling 

Bet some folks will be like huh?.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#87 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

My workplace once had a SOP that contained the statement "excessive redundancy should be avoided", so I assume that a little bit is desirable.

#88 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

And the Natural Guard!

#89 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

My workplace once had a SOP that contained the statement "excessive redundancy should be avoided", so I assume that a little bit is desirable.

Heh. Just saw a sign at a gas station's car wash: "Pre-pay before you enter"..... Paying before you enter should get the desired effect....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#90 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Been meaning to ask you, just out of curiosity, what were you doing that required you to dig into the NEC so much?  I was fortunate enough to ply my trade in a plant that never saw an electrical inspector.  We did have a few licensed electrical contractors that worked with us (or I should say, slept with us) and they never bothered with it much.  We did exceed most Federal standards in our workplace.  Sounds like you were buried in that wretched book for quite some time.

Rich

#91 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

It appears to be happening again.  I just sent a post out and nothing happened.  I was wondering why you spent so much time with the NEC.  Just out of curiosity, what were you doing at the time?

Rich

#92 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

I agree.  I much prefer The Electrician's Handbook, which tells you what to do and how to do it.

Regrettably, no licensed contractor can hang their hat on The Electrician's Handbook as the be-all and end-all of electrical code.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#93 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Regrettably, no licensed contractor can hang their hat on The Electrician's Handbook as the be-all and end-all of electrical code.

It's usually used in conjunction with the NEC book.  It doesn't pretend to be the actual code itself.  Ever read it?  There are also a bunch of books that explain the NEC in clear language.  Being a licensed electrician in NJ just means that they passed a test that uses many questions that are NEC based.  

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

It's usually used in conjunction with the NEC book.

If you have to understand a book the NEC is the one you're expected to perform to.

Ever read it?

IIRC, The Electrician's Handbook is for Canada. The American Electrician's Handbook is for the US. I've read neither cover-to-cover.

Being a licensed electrician in NJ just means that they passed a test that uses many questions that are NEC based.

Being an electrician in most US jurisdictions means more than a nodding familiarity with the NEC. There are a few that don't adopt the NEC but they're few and far between.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#95 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

IIRC, The Electrician's Handbook is for Canada. The American Electrician's Handbook is for the US. I've read neither cover-to-cover.

Of course I meant the American Electrician's Handbook, you can clearly see that I live in NJ.  My God, you can find more things to pick at than a flea bitten basset hound.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...