Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ios App

Best Answer David Bott , 01 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

New DBSTalk app should now be able to be downloaded from the app store.

It is a Tapatalk based branded app.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Don't feel too badly...  My father has a pulse monitoring app and a local TV station weather app that seem to be doing similarly...  I think there may be some iOS7 gremlins in play.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#362 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

The new app allows them to place ads anywhere on screen now. It's not just at the bottom anymore. I have an iAD between my first and second updated topic.

That does kinda help with the confusing ads that look like real buttons that would show up at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#363 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

There is still a bug where you mark an post as "read" on the main screen and upon refreshing, the will come back as "unread"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#364 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Lately on my iPhone and iPad the app will sit for a long time when it go to unread or participated. I actually have been able to go to the site via Safari, get to a thread, post a reply and got back to the app and it's still trying to load the posts.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#365 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,186 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Just a note that I uploaded a new version now just waiting for it to be approved by Apple.   

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#366 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ok great. And info in what it addresses?

#367 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Seems the update hit. And seems it went back to an older style. I don't care they both work fine but it did change the GUI again to the older style for me unless trees an option to change it back and forth.

#368 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yeah I got the update. It does look like the older version. UI elements are not IOS 7 like either.

It logged me out and I hit register by accident. Notice there was no way back. It's pretty bad UI design to not have a back button. Attached File  ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1381807787.023597.jpg   19.07KB   26 downloads

I had to force close the app in the task switcher. Not intuitive.

Not your fault David. Just something maybe to pass on to the developers.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#369 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

I downloaded it, fixes the issue I was having preventing me from using it. Though at first I thought it was missing the main DirecTV forums, until I saw it at the bottom, under Other.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#370 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Augh...I am getting SO TIRED of this with TapaTalk.  All the changes and "fixes" that keep coming it is hard to keep up.  They just released ANOTHER ONE that I now have to go though the process of again getting into Apple.

I think I am going STOP the use of the dedicated app and switch to the FREE version of the Tapatalk app.  At least then I would not have to keep updating it over and over and fielding all the complaints about it.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#371 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think I am going STOP the use of the dedicated app and switch to the FREE version of the Tapatalk app.  At least then I would not have to keep updating it over and over and fielding all the complaints about it.

The iOS app store reviews of the "free" version aren't very encouraging, IMHO.

/steve

#372 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

David, Do you have statistics of how people access the site? For me personally, I only use the app when I am traveling so I don't worry about it too much. I normally use a browser.

#373 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

My usage is probably 40% browser and 60% IOS app.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#374 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Now uploaded ver 2.3.12 to Apple.  Now need to wait for it to be released.

I think the last version that I uploaded was the standard version.  So that more than likely was my fault as their are two download links I could have used to get the app build.  I have uploaded the second generation of the app this time.

Notes on it...

iOS Specific (version 2.3):
- Fix bug: Launch slow issue for BYO2 .
- Fix bug: reply topic text cut-off issue.
- other bug fixes.

Yes, the FREE version may be the way to go in the near future.  I did not want people to have to pay for an app and then on top of that they make money for ads from the members of the site and the content here.  That is not a benefit to us at all.  So I talked to them some time back and it seems what I had to say made sense.  So now they are testing a FREE version where the ads that you may see the site owner can get a % of the revenue.  So it still helps the site out.   I am glad they are going this way as I had been screaming this for some time.

Oh, and yes, on the FREE version of TapaTalk I had them add DBSTalk.com into the list of forums.  So it should work. 

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#375 OFFLINE   rccoleman

rccoleman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Oh, and yes, on the FREE version of TapaTalk I had them add DBSTalk.com into the list of forums.  So it should work. 

Definitely the way to go!  Thanks!

#376 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Not sure what is the difference between the free and paid TapaTalk apps are, but I am using the paid version and besides a few quirks, I pretty much like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#377 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm using the paid version of TapaTalk to post this reply. While using the paid version no ads are displayed.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#378 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

The PAID version DBSTalk should not be showing up, it should show up only in the free version.  Why?  I personally do not like that they make money from the site content when we have built the site, not them. (time, money, members, etc) The FREE version I consulted with them on for that version is suppose to be a revenue share.  As such, both companies benefit.  This site was only suppose to show up in the FREE version or the paid version was to go away.   T

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#379 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,283 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Seeing how the paid version is a one time thing and gets rid if their ads, and I bought it years go for a different forum, how are they profiting from it on your site? Seriously in not sure I get it. Or I'm just to tired. ;) David, I love tapatalk and the paid and dvstalk versions. I'm thrilled you have them. I do 90% or more if my visiting via the app. I don't do the web page hardly ever just because I consume on my phone and iPad so much more. I for one thank you for the hard work you've put into it. I don't know how much work it is to get a new version and submit it to apple, but I appreciate it every time you do it.

#380 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi...

You pay for the app, they make money.  The do not run ad inside the app, as such, no income for the site.  Seeing that people are more and more using mobile devices for community forum access, the amount of income that helps to keeps the sites running drops off.  

The FREE version I consulted with them on helps this by making the app free to use, but like other apps, their can be ads inserted.  The revenue from the ads than can be shared between the site and Tapatalk.  A win, win.  The forum owner should have the option to turn off ads based on the group a user belongs to if done right.

So we would buy the branded version thus making it free for the members and we have the ability to maybe make some income from the ads.  (With that said however, the apps have been so bad in this regards that it did $32 last month. So, well, this is not going well for community forums as they are loosing the income that helps to support the site.)

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...