Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21/SWM channel jump, 771, then reboot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trekologer

trekologer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

For the last couple days I've been having this odd problem with one of my receivers which has gotten progressively worse. I'll have it tuned to a channel and it will seem to be fine and then it will pop up a 771/searching for signal message then often the audio or video feed will change to that of a different channel for a moment or two, then back to the correct one again. After this happens a couple of times, the box reboots itself. This will happen with both tuners.

It is an HR21-700.

My other receivers (same SWM via same splitter) are not experiencing this. However, I haven't yet had the chance to go outside and check the cable connections.

Any ideas of what this could be and what I should start looking at first?
  • badger04 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Seems like I encountered a receiver a few years ago that no matter what channel you wanted, it would show another. Maybe you are in the early stage of 'that problem'?

If I recall correctly they sent a new box and that fixed it.

The 21s are getting old, and the rumor mill has it by the end of the year they will be joining the 20s on the don't recover list.

LOL, do you have enough LNB capacity for a HR44 ?

This might be an opportunity!!!

#3 OFFLINE   trekologer

trekologer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I swapped the "bad" receiver out for another one and the believed good receiver (an H21) was doing the same thing. I unplugged the SWM power injector and so far the problem seems to have gone away.

I'll swap the "bad" received back and see what happens later today.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Good troubleshooting!!

#5 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

For the last couple days I've been having this odd problem with one of my receivers which has gotten progressively worse. I'll have it tuned to a channel and it will seem to be fine and then it will pop up a 771/searching for signal message then often the audio or video feed will change to that of a different channel for a moment or two, then back to the correct one again. After this happens a couple of times, the box reboots itself. This will happen with both tuners.

It is an HR21-700.

My other receivers (same SWM via same splitter) are not experiencing this. However, I haven't yet had the chance to go outside and check the cable connections.

Any ideas of what this could be and what I should start looking at first?

Same thing here, if I'm recording something it'll split it into two recordings too; no clue whats going on, seems like the guide updates and it cuts if off or something

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've had the same problem with a 21-700.  It got stuck in a "771" loop and I had to replace it.  

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   trekologer

trekologer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Ok, here's a little update. I swapped the "bad" receiver back and all was good for a couple days and then my troubles came back again. I finally went to check out the coax wiring. The copper on the end that was screwed into the splitter was a bit corroded so I chopped the end off and put a new F-connector. However, it seems that I had either run out of coax or didn't measure correctly when I installed it 5 years ago and there was a coupler between the two segments which was pretty much rusted/corroded through. I replaced the F-connectors and put on a new coupler and covered it with tape to try to keep moisture out but eventually should replace the run entirely with a continuous one.

Not exactly sure why resetting the SWM temporarily make the symptoms go away though. Perhaps it adjusts the signal level at power-on?

#8 OFFLINE   Chargerdan

Chargerdan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

I've had this same problem since I switched over to the SWM and Genie. I'm starting to suspect that the DECA device may be the problem. I've removed it from the device and running whole home with just the CAT6 cable. I hope this takes care of the problem.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

One simple thing to try...  Shut down all your receivers (menu restart, pull the plug when they go off and start to reboot).  Unplug your swim.  wait 10 minutes, plug in the swim, wait 10 mins, plug in the rest of the receivers again.  Could just need to reboot the swim.

#10 OFFLINE   Chargerdan

Chargerdan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...