Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Spartacus.. Ode to a Gladiator

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

I just got done watching the series finale of Spartacus. Hopefully, Starz can produce another show of good caliber. I just wanted to say, overall, I very much enjoyed the series and highly suggest it to anyone who likes shows dealing with history of the ancient period. Well acted, well portrayed.
--
For the most part, they even followed the historical context pretty well. The only thing standing out as very out of place, was Tiberius. As I believe Crassus had only two sons, neither of whom assisted him or died during the Third Servile War. (Marcus, his eldest and Publius Lucinius, his youngest.) Considering there, even among various historians of the time, are conflictions, overall, I think they did well.
--
As to the misplacement of Tiberius, all of the historical accounts I found stated that one of Crassus generals, Mummimus, was the one disobeyed him and engaged Spartacus and then got routed. (as they showed Tiberius doing, which then led to Crassus's reinstitution of decimation, which is historically accurate).
--
Ceasar was also out of place, as I have seen no accounts of him having helped Crassus in the War, but, there are at least ties between Crassus and Ceasar, as him, Ceasar and Pompey formed the first unofficial Triumverate. Crassus also helped Ceasar out of a situation in Spain.
--
Overall, I give the show 5 stars.
--
So, this post, is my ode to Spartacus. I think it ended in a fashion that Andy would have been proud. I hope others found it as well done as I did.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I think it ended in a fashion that Andy would have been proud.

Agreed!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 ONLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 514 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Starz had an amazing series with Boss and they canned it. Magic City is another good one. One can only hope Magic City stays on for a lot longer than Boss which I thought was an awesome series.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

At least this one had a proper ending.

#5 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

I enjoyed every episode of every season.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#6 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Starz should do a spin chronicling the rise of Crassus, Caesar, and Pompey.

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

I think HBO already did that, to a degree:  "Rome" :)

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

I think HBO already did that, to a degree:  "Rome" :)

Yet another good series...

In Rome however Caesar was already in power and there really was no back story for him which is what I think litex2x was suggesting we see. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I just got done watching the series finale of Spartacus. Hopefully, Starz can produce another show of good caliber. I just wanted to say, overall, I very much enjoyed the series and highly suggest it to anyone who likes shows dealing with history of the ancient period. Well acted, well portrayed.
--
Overall, I give the show 5 stars.
--
So, this post, is my ode to Spartacus. I think it ended in a fashion that Andy would have been proud. I hope others found it as well done as I did.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I've been a huge fan of the series since the beginning.  It's one of my all time favorite shows.  Very well done.  The series finale was probably the best finale I've seen in any series.  Epic stuff.  Emotional and very well done.  I will miss this show and hope Starz does a spin off.

Ode to Liam McIntyre.  Awesome job this season.  Andy would be proud!!!!! :goodjob:

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm currently downloading all episodes from VOD and plan a multi day marathon viewing. For a Spartacus noob like myself, should I watch in order of airing or start with the prequel season 'Gods of the Arena'?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

"Brace yourself lad."

I'm currently downloading all episodes from VOD and plan a multi day marathon viewing. For a Spartacus noob like myself, should I watch in order of airing or start with the prequel season 'Gods of the Arena'?

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

IMO you should watch them in the order that they aired.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

There's nothing inherently wrong with watching them in the order they were originally aired.  "Season 0" does stand alone - although I seem to recall the final episode referenced the end of Season 1 - I'm not sure about that.

That being said, you can go either way and watch the seasons in release order (1-0-2-3) or 'chronological' order (0-1-2-3).  Given the choice, I'd go in release order as the first three episodes of Season 1 were a bit uneven and they were still trying to find their legs.  It might be more jarring to see the cast change 'in the middle' as well.

#14 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hmm. I would actually suggest doing the Prequel first.. it will help give a bit more familiarity with some of the characters from season 1. You can't go wrong though, either way, as other posters have stated :)

#15 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

STARZ has another series planned which has been called Back Sails. It's described as Game of Thrones with Pirates. It's produced by Michael Bay (Transformers).

It's loosely based on Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" but starts 20 years earlier.

Should be interesting!

spam firewall