Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Site - Info - Thoughts - Suggestions?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
791 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Did you consider making an icon for iOS (ipad / iPhone) so when saving bookmark to home screen you get a nice branded icon across?

http://gigaom.com/20...-for-web-sites/

Ok, we have now added the Apple icons.  Hope it works.

• cypherx likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ok, we have now added the Apple icons.  Hope it works.

It does work nicely.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#783 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thank you.  And thanks to Stuart for all the image work.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#784 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

The old site didn't allow posting of links to websites until the member had a certian number of posts (I think it was five).

That apparently isn't the case anymore:

http://www.dbstalk.c...fans/?p=3125344

This member from Pakistan posted a link on a year and a half old thread about Glee.

#785 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

As for the default IP.Board skin, most sites don't use it as it ships standard with a clean install of IPB and therefore everyone has it.  Most people don't want to use the default skin that everyone else already has.  They want to look different.

If most people don't use it, than it would be different no?

If you feel that it's poorly designed on the default IP.Board skin, then you'll probably feel that any work done to it on custom skins is poorly designed as well.

Yes, probably true, and I don't know what's customizeable and what's not. I do, however, think you'll be hard pressed to find members that "Like" having all that information on the left taking up space (especially after the initial setting). It's just information that's not needed on a regular basis, but if that's the way IP sets it up, than we have to live with it - but it's still poorly designed. It would be like having your profile information take up 25% of the page all the time, just in case you wanted to update something.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#786 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thank you.  And thanks to Stuart for all the image work.

Thank YOU!  With the huge task of converting this site to another platform, I am very impressed with the responsiveness and attention to detail you have taken to address concerns, questions and tips from the community here.

The icon looks great and it makes it really easy to see in the sea of app icons on ios devices.  Its like having a forum app with full branding, without contracting an app developer!  Nice work to everyone involved!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#787 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

On the View New Content page, with the Executive 2 skin, I think a big issue is that there is too much bolded text. With the IP skin, the title of unread topics is the only bolded text. The Executive 2 skin has bolded the "in ... thread", "started by... " and "# views" and the look is confusing, with too much emphasis in the wrong places.

"The Executive 2 skin has bolded the "in ... thread", "started by... " and "# views" and the look is confusing, with too much emphasis in the wrong places."

The issue here again is in trying to give others what they wanted, it also messes with something else.  In this case, the links on the right under a thread you are reading.  Open Quick Nav and Next Unread Topic and the like were not visible enough.  So we bolded them.  The issue however is that IP.Board uses the same CSS call for other areas of the site.   As such, other items were affected.   We can unbold it.  But then we have people saying they can not see it.  Catch 22 with limited format settings.  (CSS code is often reused other places vs making one for every where you need something.)

I have just made a change that removed the bold from the overall CSS and applied it only directly to the links under the last post in the thread ( Open Quick Nav and Next Unread Topic, etc).  See if that makes it easier to distinguish items on the View New Content page, etc.

• David Ortiz likes this

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#788 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Nicely done if I do say so myself.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#789 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have just made a change that removed the bold from the overall CSS and applied it only directly to the links under the last post in the thread ( Open Quick Nav and Next Unread Topic, etc).  See if that makes it easier to distinguish items.

That is much better! Thank you!

#790 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, these are the scary things that we are changing that all can get mucked up when a new version comes out.   Then we are back to square one.  Thus the issue of themes and making things work as you would like.  I am hoping we will be able to merge the changes into future versions without to much issue.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#791 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yeah... that's the "danger"...  everything can be cool now... but then David needs to upgrade the forum at some point 6 months or more from now and then has to remember how to put back all the tweaks that get broken.  I definitely don't envy him that, which is why it is probably good to give some of these site features some "burn-in" time to see how we get used to things.  It is hard to let go to old ways, but sometimes if we are open to them we might find the things that "bother" us aren't that bad once we adjust.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#792 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Closing Thread Thoughts....

Time has come to close this very long thread and get back to the site and it's content.  This by no means says we are done making changes. We will continue to make changes we feel are for the good of the overall site and that we think will not be that hard to work with moving forward when new versions come out. (Like 4.0 currently being worked on.) 

I am happy to report that it has already been a week and all is looking very, very well.  For this I personally thank the IP.Board Staff that helped with the migration and other items.  Invision Power has been so far an outstanding company to work with.  The DBSTalk Forum Staff members, who are all volunteers, who have put in countless hours in testing and development of even some of the graphics used.  And last, but surely not least, the members that helped out with feedback and testing not only before we went live, but continued after. I want to send out one special thanks however to forum member BLWedge09 who has offered his help as a programmer to make some of these changes possible. 

I am happy to also report the site and server is running very, very good.  We are running this site on ONE server that has two Quad-core CPU's (thus 8 cpu's),16 Gigs of RAM, and dual 15K RPM drives.  Backups are done via snapshots and stored off site on via an RS1 system.  The server is serving everything...All wedpages, images, MySQL requests, ads, and email.

Right now we have about 800 people on the site as it shows at the bottom of the main forums list.  However, what you do not see, is the other 3,700 connections that are being made by the re-spidering of the site.  So 4,500, more or less, "users" hitting the site for data.  The server is running at a load of 1.15!  (For those of you that it might mean something to....that is very good based on what is happening with all the spiders. This number goes up and down, but this is very good news.) 

The IP.Board software is very efficient and I am not even running anything I could at this point like Xcache, Memcache, or Sphinx, which would even reduce the load more. Even built into the software I could choose to offload all the images and even the CSS and themes to an array of servers across the US for a distributed system.  That is all built in, but of couse at added cost to do that kind of thing.  Happy to see it is not even needed at this point based on the hardware we are running on.  

Even more positive is our site load time has greatly decreased per the Google analytics records.  All while we are being spidered very heavily.  We have already seen an increase in new visitors, page views, and registrations!  All in all, very good signs!

So in closing, thank you all again for your help in this journey of continuing to move forward.  It was something I have wanted to do for a very long time and I am glad we have been able to achieve it.  Here is looking to the digital future!

Special Regards,

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Protected By... spam firewall...And...