Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Network overcompressed?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I've watched the NHL Network's CBC HNIC broadcasts the past few weeks and noticed that it appears this channel is being over-compressed.  If you look at the faces of the people, you see it blurry around their edges, etc.  Never saw it look so bad before.  Has D* changed something in the past few weeks or so, such as over-compressing?

It also appears that some of CBC's broadcasts are SD upconverted to 16:9 as it's strech-o-vision (even the CBC circle logo is stretched out sideways).  I thought CBC was finally doing true HD for all of their NHL games.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

If DIRECTV was responsible, then every game/show on NHLN would look bad.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

The NHL Network is one of the worst quality networks on TV.  They vertically squish live games for their annoying crawl that they refuse to remove during live games.  They also show scores of the game you are watching during reruns and their quality is never as good as if you could just straight watch whever's game feed they are stealing and passing off as their own.  I hate this channel!

• SPACEMAKER likes this

#4 OFFLINE   stewdog1

stewdog1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

The NHL Network is one of the worst quality networks on TV.  They vertically squish live games for their annoying crawl that they refuse to remove during live games.  They also show scores of the game you are watching during reruns and their quality is never as good as if you could just straight watch whever's game feed they are stealing and passing off as their own.  I hate this channel!

I hate that.  ESPN does it incessantly, unless it is MNF.  Considering the advent of mobile and everything you can get at the touch of the finger nowadays, that whole bottom line is unecessary.  Espcially when they have "Breaking News" like Tiger being assessed a two-stroke penalty.  That went on for 24 hours it seemed like.   That is not that important guys...

#5 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Add me to the list of people that the scroll drive crazy.  I am sure that screen resizing is partly to blame.  That said, I do know that the last Pittsburgh game NHLN carried used the Root Sports feed that had a problem with their HD feed that night.  

#6 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I hate that.  ESPN does it incessantly, unless it is MNF.  Considering the advent of mobile and everything you can get at the touch of the finger nowadays, that whole bottom line is unecessary.  Espcially when they have "Breaking News" like Tiger being assessed a two-stroke penalty.  That went on for 24 hours it seemed like.   That is not that important guys...

ESPN does not squish games, they put the bottom line over the bottom of the picture.

#7 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

they do squish the picture a little bit, you can see it when they change from commercials to transmissions, the image shrinks

#8 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

While the content does look slightly overcompressed -- NHL Network is really an utterly useless channel, and that's from a huge hockey fan.

The production is awful, the ticker during live games is annoying, and their original programming sucks.

For some reason, they only vertically compress the feeds for CBC broadcasts from what I've seen. All of the other broadcasts just cut off the bottom (not that that's any better)

#9 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

they do squish the picture a little bit, you can see it when they change from commercials to transmissions, the image shrinks

They shrink it in proper ratio, though. You'll notice thin black bars on the sides of the image when they do that.

Not all live games on ESPN have the crawler during them, although it's becoming more frequent. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#10 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

+1 to just about everything said here. The NHL Network was a great idea gone horribly wrong.

#11 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Have you noticed that NHL Network also "blacks out" the local graphics and discussions.  For example, if the Blackhawks are on, and they're showing a local graphic of leading Blackhawk scorers, NHL Network will show some slide about upcoming schedules.

NHL Network looks like it's put on by high school students.  Simply horrible.

• MonyMony likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, the RSN will show someone in the crowd and say something about it, but NHL Network tries to cover that up with some graphic.  Kinda weird.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Try having cable and not having NHL Network. I miss all of the Saturday night games.

#14 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, the RSN will show someone in the crowd and say something about it, but NHL Network tries to cover that up with some graphic.  Kinda weird.

They seem to be useing raw feeds and you can hear background noise if they goto to a off site studio for some update.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...