Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The FiOS TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

A thread for those of us that have FiOS TV.

• Steve and dmurphy like this
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just an assumption here but wouldn't FiOS, Google fiber TV and, Uverse be video over internet proxy making it IPTV using a digital bit streams and, not cable?

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,403 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Just an assumption here but wouldn't FiOS, Google fiber TV and, Uverse be video over internet proxy making it IPTV using a digital bit streams and, not cable?

You could argue that, but with Cablevision in my area providing digital program delivery over the existing copper infrastructure, seems like "cable" now just refers to the wire that comes into your house, whether it's coax or fiber. Just my .02.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

I don't mind where it is, just wanted a spot here to discuss. That other forum seemed more for video over the internet, and since FiOS still uses QAM over their private infrastructure, it seemed better to add a thread here since FiOS was more like a cable company, but I'm fine having the discussion at either location. I'd just like to participate.

I have done a complete comparison, and figured that I might share it at some point.

Also FiOS might be moving to a more IP infrastructure with the VMS1100, which as of some reports today will now be in September 2013.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,414 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

I think the case could be made that for the purposes of customer discussion...  I would equate Cable, Satellite, U-Verse, and FiOS as "similar" enough in that you subscribe to a tier of channels and are delivered those channels' content in the traditional manner.

I would consider Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. to be IPTV-delivered in that you are picking and choosing individual content (i.e. specific movies or tv shows) to watch as opposed to channels of varied content.

So... even if on some level U-Verse is closer to Netflix in the manner by which they deliver the video...  the mechanism by which you pay for, and select content to watch is more similar to traditional cable.

Same as...  if you have a cable or U-verse digital phone instead of a landline...  you could discuss them in a "phone service" forum since you are using them the same way, even if the behind-the-scenes technology is different.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,201 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I lost the Internet completely after a brief power outage last week -- no computer connections, no AppleTV, no FiOS VOD, no FiOS apps -- but the FiOS video feed was just fine. Verizon sent me a replacement router and all was fine after that. I could still schedule and watch recordings.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

No, FiOS is very much not video over IP (today).

FiOS signals come over fiber to your house on 3 wavelengths; one for telephony, one for Internet, and one for video.  The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) inside your house receives those signals and distributes them accordingly -- telephony out the voice jacks, Video over coax, and Internet over either Ethernet or Coax (depending on the setup).

For Internet, if it goes over Ethernet, it's just straight Ethernet.

If it's over Coax, it uses MOCA frequencies (similar to - but slightly different than - DirecTV's DECA.) on the same inside-the-home wire as your video.

But either way, linear video is delivered as standard QAM, both encrypted and non-encrypted.

Video on Demand products, guide updates, remote DVR control & Caller-ID popups are sent to the FiOS set-top boxes over IP.

That's how it works ... today.

p.s. Welcome to the FiOS forum!! Looking forward to much contribution here.  I've become quite well versed in FiOS in the last year and a half.

#8 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

A place for those of us that have both DirecTV (or Dish) and FiOS TV.

Another "Did you know...?" moment.  Your post has the words "FiOS TV" linked to an eBay auction for 2 FiOS remotes ...

Did you know? You can order replacement FiOS remotes for free right from your DVR!  Go to Menu -> Customer Support -> Replace FiOS Remote.  It'll be shipped to your house within a few days for free!

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

A place for those of us that have both DirecTV (or Dish) and FiOS TV.

So we can't join if we only have Fios?  :scratch:

Glad to see this board.  Since I recently left DirecTV for FIos I've miss this place. Now I have an excuse to come back and pay my $15.  :)

New forum software isn't nearly as "smooth" as the previous version.  Looks pretty but .....

Edited by TBlazer07, 21 April 2013 - 08:09 PM.

• dmurphy likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Glad to see this board.  Since I recently left DirecTV for FIos I've miss this place. Now I have an excuse to come back and pay my $15.  :)

New forum software isn't nearly as "smooth" as the previous version.  Looks pretty but .....

It's a new home for FiOS discussion.

Ignore my previous comment, I was thinking that most people here had Dish or DirecTV and just created a thread to dicuss FiOS TV as well, but now we have a whole section just for FiOS ... so let's enjoy the space, and spread our wings with lots of discussion.

We should probably create different threads for the different topics.

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

I updated my first post to be more relevant to the new forum here.

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Very interested to see how the FiOS Media Server (aka VMS1100) does.

6-tuner DVR, clients, new rumor is September 2013.

#13 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

I have Voice (FDV), 35/35 Internet, and FiOS TV (Extreme HD) with a "free DVR for life" for $99/month. I mostly just use the FiOS TV as a backup for now.

#14 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have Voice (FDV), 35/35 Internet, and FiOS TV (Extreme HD) with a "free DVR for life" for $99/month. I mostly just use the FiOS TV as a backup for now.

I have a very similar package... my "out the door" (taxes, fees, etc.) bill every month is about $169 but includes:

2x FiOS Digital Voice lines

FiOS TV (Extreme HD) + Showtime (free included)

FiOS 35/35 Internet

Multi-Room HD DVR "free for life"

2x Additional HD DVR's

2x Additional HD Set-Top Boxes

1x SD Set-Top Box "free for life"

I'm thrilled with the service and the price.  DirecTV still holds a very special place in my heart, but I'm saving about $70/month this way from previous (DirecTV+Cablevision Internet & Phone) for more service.  That's $840/yr I can use elsewhere.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,403 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have a very similar package... my "out the door" (taxes, fees, etc.) bill every month is about $169 but includes:

2x FiOS Digital Voice lines

FiOS TV (Extreme HD) + Showtime (free included)

FiOS 35/35 Internet

Multi-Room HD DVR "free for life"

2x Additional HD DVR's

2x Additional HD Set-Top Boxes

1x SD Set-Top Box "free for life"

I'm thrilled with the service and the price.  DirecTV still holds a very special place in my heart, but I'm saving about $70/month this way from previous (DirecTV+Cablevision Internet & Phone) for more service.  That's $840/yr I can use elsewhere.

Nice package. I'll bet your internet service is better than before as well, and you can now manage all 3 DVR's recording activity from a single PC.

With that set-up, can you watch any recording in any room? Can their SD box act as a client to an HD DVR?

• dmurphy likes this
/steve

#16 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nice package. I'll bet your internet service is better than before as well, and you can now manage all 3 DVR's recording activity from a single PC.

With that set-up, can you watch any recording in any room? Can their SD box act as a client to an HD DVR?

The Internet service is pretty outstanding, although I couldn't complain about Cablevision.  I had 30/5mbit service when I was with cable, and now I have 35/35mbit (which speed tests at about 43/37 or so.  They include extra "fluff" in the Internet package to compensate for any Video on Demand feeds you may be watching.  Easier and more user-friendly than applying QoS to those packets.)

And yes, I can manage all of the DVRs from my iPhone, iPad, Mac, or just about anywhere.  I can absolutely watch any recording from any room, and yes, the SD set-top is a client to the HD DVR but it can only play back SD recordings... 

The DVR software is smart enough where, let's say I try to schedule a recording on the living room DVR.  Let's further assume I already have 2 recordings scheduled for that time slot.  It'll search the other DVRs and find an available tuner at that time, and ask if I'd rather execute the recording there.  Very slick indeed.

Needless to say, I'm very happy.

#17 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Glad to see you active again!  I've been in the same boat as you -- still lurking but since moving to FiOS, not much to contribute.  Glad to be able to step up again. :)

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,403 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

The Internet service is pretty outstanding, although I couldn't complain about Cablevision.  I had 30/5mbit service when I was with cable, and now I have 35/35mbit (which speed tests at about 43/37 or so.  They include extra "fluff" in the Internet package to compensate for any Video on Demand feeds you may be watching.  Easier and more user-friendly than applying QoS to those packets.)

Are you sure FiOS VOD bandwidth isn't separate from the internet service?  if you haven't already, you can probably test this by doing a Speedtest while watching an HD VOD.
  • dmurphy likes this
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Are you sure FiOS VOD bandwidth isn't separate from the internet service?  if you haven't already, you can probably test this by doing a Speedtest while watching an HD VOD.

Absolutely positive.  VOD is pure IP, and runs over the same Internet service as everything else.  The STB's are MoCA devices, using the same gateway as the rest of your LAN.  No QoS is configured in the router, so if I were to, let's say, stick a Wireshark analyzer between the router and the STBs, you'd see the IP packets flying by.  Simplistic in nature, but easy to troubleshoot.  Good stuff. :)

#20 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have a very similar package...

Hey DMurph, nice to be back together again.

This could be a nice home for many FiOS followers. We should spread the word.

Most of my interest will be in how the VMS1100 Media Server situation plays out. I do need to post what we know so far.

The only item I'm not clear on is whether the clients have a tuner, have seen YES, but then have also seen the recent reference last week that you can pause 'live" TV from a client so not sure.

• dmurphy likes this

spam firewall