Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The FiOS TV Thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Indeed it is great getting the gang back together! I find that FiOS is the only service worth switching from DirecTV for. No wonder this is where most DTV Refugees end up.

Anywho - the new fios boxes will be interesting for sure. They're pure-IP so not sure how this is going to play out. I don't believe it's RVU but don't know what the protocol from client-to-server will be. The idea of wireless STB's is fantastic but isn't an issue for me since I live in a ranch w/ full basement - superbly easy to wire any room here. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yep, agree, I consider DirecTV and FiOS tier-1, I'd never consider Cablevision again, and Dish doesn't do RSN's so they're a non factor in this market.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Very interested to see how the FiOS Media Server (aka VMS1100) does.

6-tuner DVR, clients, new rumor is September 2013.

That's the one thing I absolutely positively miss from DirecTV ..... having 12 tuners across 3 boxes.  Now I have just 6 across 3 DVR's.  Preferred to have more on a single box than spread across the house. Don't miss to much else though. (Especially the cost ... at least for 2 yrs).

#24 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

The DVR software is smart enough where, let's say I try to schedule a recording on the living room DVR.  Let's further assume I already have 2 recordings scheduled for that time slot.  It'll search the other DVRs and find an available tuner at that time, and ask if I'd rather execute the recording there.  Very slick indeed.

Are you doing that from the DVR or from the xxx app? 

What I don't like is there is no way to jump ahead in large increments when watching a recording on a remote box.  Stuck with 8X to slog through a 3hr recording to get to 2:15.

• dmurphy likes this

#25 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

That's the one thing I absolutely positively miss from DirecTV ..... having 12 tuners across 3 boxes.  Now I have just 6 across 3 DVR's.  Preferred to have more on a single box than spread across the house. Don't miss to much else though. (Especially the cost ... at least for 2 yrs).

Just created a thread for everything that we dig up on the VMS1100/IPC1100

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#26 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

What I don't like is there is no way to jump ahead in large increments when watching a recording on a remote box.  Stuck with 8X to slog through a 3hr recording to get to 2:15.

From the DVR.... it sends me a popup asking if I want to schedule it on, say, Bedroom 1 instead.  Love that.

#27 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

If the recording is complete, use the chapters feature.  Press the up arrow when it's paused, then use left and right arrow to navigate the recording.

But if it's still recording the show you're trying to play back, this doesn't work.  A 15 minute skip while FF is active would be nice.

#28 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

From the DVR.... it sends me a popup asking if I want to schedule it on, say, Bedroom 1 instead.  Love that.

Really ??!!??!!  Never did that for me. Hmmmm. In fact, I asked Verizon (I know that was a mistake) and they said "NO."

#29 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's my gripe.  Chapters does not work when the recording you are watching is not on the receiver you are watching it from. Unless I'm missing something which wouldn't be the first time that's happened. :)  Also I rarely have ever seen a thumbnail in "chapters."  Just a "not available" message.

If the recording is complete, use the chapters feature.  Press the up arrow when it's paused, then use left and right arrow to navigate the recording.

But if it's still recording the show you're trying to play back, this doesn't work.  A 15 minute skip while FF is active would be nice.

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,573 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Really ??!!??!!  Never did that for me. Hmmmm. In fact, I asked Verizon (I know that was a mistake) and they said "NO."

Verizon called me a couple of weeks ago to try and get me to re-up, since I already have an ONT installed in my home. They're still telling prospective customers that one DVR can't play content recorded on another multiroom DVR in a FiOS set-up. I told them my son and my mom each have two DVRs and they can watch any recording in any room. They said that wasn't possible. And this from someone trying to sell me on the service! :P

/steve

#31 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Verizon called me a couple of weeks ago to try and get me to re-up, since I already have an ONT installed in my home. They're still telling prospective customers that one DVR can't play content recorded on another multiroom DVR in a FiOS set-up. I told them my son and my mom each have two DVRs and they can watch any recording in any room. They said that wasn't possible. And this from someone trying to sell me on the service! :P

That's probably their outside sales force.  Had someone come into the store where I am working part time trying to sell us HOME service (we have Fios internet and business phone lines) and telling us it is all wireless. No connections to TV because they install a "chip" in the TV and it works over the internet by wifi.  : :nono2:  All we need to do is "hang the TV on the wall."

There is a Fios store in the local mall and the foks there are great and very knowledgeable as strange as it may sound.

#32 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

It is indeed nice to be back home again.  I've had FIOS now for a few years and have missed the gang here at DBS Talk.  FIOS is, in MHO, the only service worth leaving DirecTV for.  I've loved it ever since it has been installed.

I don't use any of the Verizon equipment, except for the cable cards.  My setup includes 2 WMC PCs.  I have two Ceton InfiniTV network tuner cards running in a Windows 2008 Server, splitting 8 tuners between four PCs, four in my living room PC, two to my bedroom PC, one to my laptop, and one to my office PC.  I use XBox as extenders for my other two rooms.  I pay 211 for every channel, digital voice, and 75/35 internet, which is still less than I was paying for with Verizon DSL, phone, and DirecTV service.

Nice to see the gang again!!

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#33 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Well I just thought I would say hello to the FiOS TV (FTV) thread.

As a 10 year customer of DTV I finally pulled the plugged on the service. I already had FiOS for Internet, and so by bundling with Verizon for TV I was able to:

1. Upgrade to FiOS Quantum (50/25) for free.

2. Add a second (admittedly SD only) receiver for free (perfect for our "OTA only" room)

3. Local channels (and local programming) are included (was using AM21 w/ DTV)

4. Add HD MR DVR functionality (HD STB with MRV for same equipment cost as my DTV HD DVR). 

And save about $32 a month, not counting discounts, which are $5 off per month first year and a $100 pre-paid visa card.

I'm in the process of writing up the full list of pros and cons and will post when I finish it, but basically I do think DTV is a smoother package. Granted I'm on the learning curve, but the DTV experience is much more polished. Still, I'm saving money and won't suffer rain fades or worry about trees blocking my dish (I live in a heavily wooded subdivision). 

Looking forward to spending time in the FTV forum. 

Regards,

Eric

Edited by EricJRW, 29 April 2013 - 10:09 AM.

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#34 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well I just thought I would say hello to the FiOS TV (FTV) thread....

Welcome. Interested to see your perspective.

#35 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Sixto and dmurphy, how did you get the "Multi-Room HD DVR "free for life""?

For me the "SD Only STB" was under the "free for life" option, but not the HD MR DVR. 

I'm wondering if I missed something, or if it's your location, or just the amount of equipment you ordered.

Also, which HD DVR did you get? I ended up with the QIP6416, which in terms of storage, does not compare very well with my HR22 (160 vs. 500 GB).  

Eric

PS. Just noticed this is a rather new forum, so I'm happy to find it when I did. 

PPS. Grumpy Grampy : I see bobcamp1 answered the question about chaptering (the time of each chapter seems to be dependent on the length of the recording), but I agree. It's a pain that there's nothing like that for the live buffer. The other annoying thing is that if you rewind to the beginning of the "live" buffer and reach it, playback will resume from the end of the buffer thus negating the time spent rewinding. On my HR22 playback would start at the beginning of the buffer. 

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#36 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I had the Double Play (Voice & Internet), and about 18 months ago they were running a promotion to add TV with a free HD DVR for life, so I jumped at it.

DirecTV is my primary service, and I really didn't want to have the expense of a separate FiOS DVR, but I did want to play with FiOS TV and have a backup. It was only $10/month more to add Extreme HD, and the DVR was free, so it was a no brainer. Got a 7232.

#37 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

For me the "SD Only STB" was under the "free for life" option, but not the HD MR DVR. 

I'm wondering if I missed something, or if it's your location, or just the amount of equipment you ordered.

Also, which HD DVR did you get? I ended up with the QIP6416, which in terms of storage, does not compare very well with my HR22 (160 vs. 500 GB).  

There was a "Free for Life" promo running - in the same time Sixto mentioned - about a year and a half ago that I took advantage of.  So happy to have it...

As for the DVR ... what TV package do you have?  If you have the QIP6416, on the DVR, go to Menu -> Customer Support -> Set-Top Box Exchange and see if it'll let you swap it out.  Some content (i.e. MLB Extra Innings and a few premium channels) have been moved to MPEG-4 encoding, which the QIP6416 can't do.  Therefore, if you subscribe to any package that has an MPEG-4 channel in it, they'll let you swap it out for free.

Otherwise, if it doesn't allow you to do so for free, you can replace it either at a FiOS store for free (not a Verizon Wireless store, but a true FiOS store), or pay $40 online to have a 7232 DVR shipped to you.

#38 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Noticed this announcement today: http://www.multichan...v-duties/143038

And the My Verizon website lets you drill down into the DVR for settings, series management, lots of stuff.

Also lets the TV listing use the Favorites setting from the DVR selected.

#39 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

The FiOS TV functions were rolled into the MyFiOS app today. Very nice.

#40 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Since FiOS seems to be moving more and more in the IP direction, I wonder how easy it may be for them to support 4K TV (UHD) eventually, they certainly shouldn't have any bandwidth issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...