Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish trying to buy Sprint..

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have to laugh. Deadline Hollywood picked up the news release above and put this somewhat misleading headline on it: Sprint Approves Dish Network Effort To Move Ahead With Takeover Plan

Agreeing to share information I suppose is approving "an effort to move ahead".

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

We greatly value our customers and are excited to share our Company’s growth opportunities with you. You can find information regarding the proposed merger on our dedicated transaction micro site at www.CompleteDishSolution.com. Additionally, general company and product information is always available on our corporate website at www.dish.com.

Thanks

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

OK. But I have to note this article today SoftBank slams Dish's Sprint bid, rules out sweeteners which means this is going to be a fight. While many of the things SoftBank Corp President Masayoshi Son is quoted as saying in the article are specious and/or fallacious, he's right that the Charlie I've come to know and love does almost seek out "ugly" litigation battles which only makes the regulatory issues the Dish option faces less attractive.

Still, I do think Dish would be a better choice for Sprint with one concern - Charlie is Dish and Echostar. He just turned 60. IMHO it will take a strong personality like his 10 years to mold the combined company into his vision, so he will need good health and strong enerty.

On the other hand, Masayoshi Son is 55, Korean, and known as the person who has lost the most money in history (approximately $70 billion in the dot com crash of 2000). His company Softbank is a Japanese telecommunications and Internet corporation that has strong ties to China. I'm not enthusiastic about Sprint Nextel Corporation becoming a Japanese company. I guess, in the end, as a Californian I still remember S-P-R-I-N-T as Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications and would prefer to see it remain firmly attached to the U.S.

Edited by phrelin, 30 April 2013 - 04:22 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Charlie doesn't like it when you talk bad about him. http://www.forbes.co...-going-to-lose/

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, that's the Charlie I've come to know and love:

Playing off his reputation for frugality, Ergen  puckishly suggested that Son, who spent a record $117 million in January to buy a part-time home in Silicon Valley, wouldn’t be as assiduous a steward of Sprint shareholders’ value as  he would.

“How do you have a $117 million home you live in for a week a year?” he wondered. “That works out to, what, a billion dollars a month?” Suggesting that his own home is worth about $1 million, he said, “We’re going to take that [$116 million] and we’re going to build some towers, hire some engineers, charge you $10 less for your phone. If you want to win, you’ve got to be all in.”

My AV Setup

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

and would prefer to see it remain firmly attached to the U.S.

So would I, but after ChuckieCo's last few bonehead moves, I can't support him anymore.

Yeah, that's the Charlie I've come to know and love:

charge you $10 less for your phone

And then add on a $15 'keypad fee' and a few other hidden charges.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

So would I, but after ChuckieCo's last few bonehead moves, I can't support him anymore.

So when is your contract up? And if it already is, why are you still a DISH customer?

After a while repeated complaints earn a "yeah, we get it, you don't like DISH" response. Moving on to the less biased posts ...

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

As a Sprint customer, I just want to see it merged with a company that will invest in upgrading the data coverage to LTE everywhere, the way Verizon has committed to do. Sprint's value as getting the most bang for buck is still unmatched, but its data coverage falls far short of nearly every other carrier's except perhaps T-Mobile.

#29 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Dish said to Be Lining Up Four Banks to Fund Sprint Bid

By Jodi Xu & Jeffrey McCracken - May 15, 2013 4:16 PM ET

Dish Network Corp. (DISH) is lining up four banks to help finance its $25.5 billion takeover offer for Sprint Nextel Corp. (S), reinforcing its effort to outbid SoftBank Corp. (9984), people with knowledge of the matter said.

Dish, which already is raising about $2.5 billion in a bond offering managed by Barclays Plc, Jefferies Group LLC, Macquarie Group Ltd. and Royal Bank of Canada, is close to tapping the same banks for loans to help reach its goal of $9.3 billion in in financing for the Sprint transaction, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private.

Whole article here: http://www.bloomberg...sprint-bid.html

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

logo.gif

DISH and Sprint to Begin Due Diligence, Engage in Talks

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) ("DISH") today responded to Sprint Nextel Corporation's announcement ("Sprint") that it has received a waiver of various provisions under the merger agreement between it and SoftBank Corp.

The waiver will permit Sprint and its representatives to furnish non-public information concerning Sprint to DISH, and to engage with DISH in discussions and negotiations regarding its proposal made on April 15, 2013.

"We look forward to engaging in full due diligence and continued discussions with Sprint. We remain confident that this process will confirm the superiority of our proposal, the reasoning behind our synergy projections and our vision for a competitively superior DISH-Sprint," said DISH Chairman Charlie Ergen.

http://investor.echo...eleaseID=766117

DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#31 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Charlie will defy physics and figure out how to overcome latency to go cell-to-sat-to-cell direct to eliminate those pesky cell towers.

Let the inevitable chatter about latency being inviolate begin!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Charlie will defy physics and figure out how to overcome latency to go cell-to-sat-to-cell direct to eliminate those pesky cell towers.

Let the inevitable chatter about latency being inviolate begin!

We all know he has conquered the necessary wormhole-related technology, He just needs some extra bandwidth to make it work and phone customers to buy it. :sure:

Edited by phrelin, 21 May 2013 - 05:18 PM.

My AV Setup

#33 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

As a Sprint customer, I just want to see it merged with a company that will invest in upgrading the data coverage to LTE everywhere, the way Verizon has committed to do. Sprint's value as getting the most bang for buck is still unmatched, but its data coverage falls far short of nearly every other carrier's except perhaps T-Mobile.

Seems to depend on where you are located.  Yeah, I've had problems in some good sized but isolated cities, but overall I've been happy during my 12 years with Sprint.  I'm especially happy since I upgraded to an iPhone and unlimited data, text, and mobile to mobile.  Meanwhile I listen to my friends complain about the competitors.  One Verizon customer can't make a call from inside his house.  Now going out in the summer isn't too bad but we get darn cold winters here.  Betting he pays whatever cancellation fee and switches carriers by mid January.

#34 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

So essentially Dish is saying in this press release: "Can we really trust a foreign company owning Sprint?".

DISH Statement on SoftBank and CFIUS

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) responded to news reports regarding the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) review of the proposed SoftBank-Sprint transaction.
"If the news reports are accurate, SoftBank's agreement to an extraordinary board structure and the concerns of CFIUS with respect to the use of Chinese-manufactured equipment on a foreign-controlled Clearwire network, which reportedly could add as much as $1 billion to the cost of the proposed SoftBank-Sprint transaction, confirm the serious national security risks of SoftBank acquiring Sprint and its wireless and wireline assets of national strategic importance," said Stanton Dodge, DISH executive vice president and general counsel.
"We remain concerned, however, that these reported steps do not adequately protect our national security interests, especially with respect to Sprint's critical fiber backbone network and Sprint's extensive contracts to provide important telecommunications services for government, law enforcement and defense customers," said Dodge.
About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.092 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.[

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#35 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Ok, not sure why it did that on my above post, but at least you can still read it.

#36 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Fixed it for you.

• tsmacro likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

So essentially Dish is saying in this press release: "Can we really trust a foreign company owning Sprint?".

Dish might be right... but I don't think it helps them to say it out loud like that.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Dish might be right... but I don't think it helps them to say it out loud like that.

Just adding a little FUD ... fear, uncertainty and doubt. The tactic might work.

BTW: Vodaphone would like to get out of the US wireless market ... I do not believe their foreign ownership of Verizon has been a problem. If there is an issue with foreign ownership it would be dealt with by the FCC.

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

DISH Statement on SoftBank's Claims and Attempt to Control Assets of National Strategic Importance

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) today responded to the recently launched SoftBank web page [http://www.softbank....print/benefits/] touting the purported benefits of its attempt to gain control of Sprint. DISH's proposal will deliver nearly all the key benefits of the SoftBank-Sprint transaction and more, including 40 MHz of additional mid-band spectrum and cable-quality broadband access to approximately 40 million unserved and underserved consumers in rural America -- all built on a foundation of an American company investing cash from an American balance sheet to make another American company more competitive for the benefit of all American consumers.

In fact, a DISH/Sprint merger is superior in several important areas:

• DISH's $25.5 billion offer is better for shareholders, offering more cash and stock in a strategically superior company than the SoftBank proposal provides for Sprint shareholders.
  • The SoftBank investment to control Sprint is a financial transaction, not a commercial merger, given that SoftBank has no U.S. operations to combine with Sprint. DISH/Sprint creates the only company that offers convenient, fully integrated nationwide bundle of in- and out-of-home video, broadband and voice services. The combination also provides substantial synergies and a significantly enhanced strategic position.
  • With the largest spectrum portfolio and as the only telecommunications company to deliver voice, video and data in- and out-of-the home, DISH/Sprint would be better positioned to challenge AT&T and Verizon than SoftBank-Sprint. SoftBank brings no spectrum to the merger. DISH brings 45 MHz of low- and mid-band spectrum with an estimated value of $10 billion, plus robust cash flows.
  • A DISH-Sprint will be better for national security by preserving domestic ownership, control and accountability over Sprint's national wireless network and fiber backbone network, which provides classified services to government, law enforcement and military customers.

SoftBank also used its new web content to defend foreign investment in the U.S. telecom sector, citing the presence of Vodafone, through Verizon Wireless, and Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile operation in the U.S.

"Vodafone and Deutsche Telekom are not relevant to the national security discussion surrounding the proposed acquisition of Sprint by SoftBank," said Stanton Dodge, DISH executive vice president and general counsel. "Times have changed and there can be no doubt that today, a nationwide wireless network is an asset of national strategic importance. Additionally, unlike Sprint, neither Verizon wireless nor T-Mobile control a national fiber backbone serving national security interests including defense, law enforcement and other sensitive governmental operations."

SoftBank also apparently committed to using only network equipment that is acceptable to the U.S. Government, which DISH believes validates the national security concerns that it has raised with respect to SoftBank-Sprint. Further, if the news reports are accurate, and CFIUS has concerns with respect to the use of Chinese manufactured equipment on a foreign-controlled Clearwire network, then as much as $1 billion would have to be added to the cost of the proposed SoftBank-Sprint transaction.

DISH is committed to working with the appropriate regulatory agencies to meet national security goals.

"There is a bright line between DISH and SoftBank: DISH is not foreign-controlled, nor is its proposal subject to CFIUS," said Dodge. "The question is about who should control and who will be accountable for assets — the Sprint national wireless and backbone fiber networks — that are vital to our national security."

Dodge continued: "The contrast is clear: DISH does not operate infrastructure dependent on Chinese equipment; DISH does not own nearly a third of the Chinese e-commerce giant, Alibaba; DISH was not affiliated with a company that admitted bribing Chinese officials for telecommunications contracts."

#40 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Dodge continued: "The contrast is clear: DISH does not operate infrastructure dependent on Chinese equipment; DISH does not own nearly a third of the Chinese e-commerce giant, Alibaba; DISH was not affiliated with a company that admitted bribing Chinese officials for telecommunications contracts."

I could swear that when I upgraded to my new Hopper w/ Sling I saw something either in the box on the receiver itself that said "Made In China".

Protected By... spam firewall...And...