Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish trying to buy Sprint..

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,939 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Does this sound to you guys like DISH is dropping its bid for Sprint? 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,791 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Does this sound to you guys like DISH is dropping its bid for Sprint?

I agree with that assessment ... it sounds like they will still go after Clearwire but have been blocked from the Sprint merger.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#53 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Could be. Will be interesting to see what unfolds in the next six months.

#54 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Could be. Will be interesting to see what unfolds in the next six months.

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Yeah... the whole thing just continues to be weird...  simultaneously bidding up the price for Clearwire and Sprint... then bailing on Sprint.  I don't think Charlie ever really wanted Sprint anyway...  but it still seems weird.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#56 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yeah... the whole thing just continues to be weird...  simultaneously bidding up the price for Clearwire and Sprint... then bailing on Sprint.  I don't think Charlie ever really wanted Sprint anyway...  but it still seems weird.

Maybe he's being like that guy in the auction who runs up the price by bidding on something they don't really want just to make someone else pay more?

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#57 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

USA TODAY  - ‎44 minutes ago‎        
Sprint Nextel said its shareholders voted Tuesday to approve its merger agreement with Japan's SoftBank, clearing a hurdle in their plans to form a more formidable wireless competitor to Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#58 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,708 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Here is the Latest.
Seems an ATT or Directv merger might be in the works if Dish can't grab T-Mobile!
Doesn't appear Dish is in a good spot!

http://www.bloomberg...t-real-m-a.html

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.

#59 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Analyst: Likelihood of Dish Network-AT&T merger is “now significantly higher”

With Sprint Nextel and Clearwire out of the picture, T-Mobile and DirecTV have been named as the most likely merger candidates for Dish Network.

Macquarie analyst Amy Yong brings another high-profile company into the fray.

“The likelihood of an AT&T-Dish merger is now significantly higher,” Yong wrote in a research note Friday.

Dish and AT&T have a bit of history. Rumors and speculation about the companies potentially tying the knot date back about a decade, with regulatory approval among the concerns of any potential deal.

ATT-270x181.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#60 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Looks like SoftBank really leveraged itself to buy Sprint:

SoftBank Cut to Junk by S&P After FCC Approves Sprint Deal

SoftBank Corp. (9984), led by billionaire Masayoshi Son, had its credit rating cut to junk by Standard & Poor’s after winning approval from the Federal Communications Commission for its $21.6 billion bid to buy Sprint Nextel Corp. (S)

The rating was cut to BB+, the highest non-investment grade, from BBB, with a stable outlook, S&P said in a statement today. The FCC announced July 5 that the deal is in the public’s interest, giving Son a position in the U.S. market.

Rest of article here: http://www.bloomberg...cquisition.html

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Maybe Dish was pushing and hoping for this... requiring Softbank to over-leverage itself for the buyout... which ultimately results in a weaker Sprint once the buyout closes since they likely move the debt onto Sprint... then Dish can pick up Clearwire OR Sprint for a song in a couple of years?

Or maybe I'm trying to hard to get inside Charlie's brain.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#62 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Paulson Sees T-Mobile Takeover Target for Dish, Sprint
By Kelly Bit - Jul 17, 2013 11:43 AM ET

John Paulson, the billionaire hedge-fund manager whose firm is the largest outside investor in T-Mobile US Inc. (TMUS), said the company is a likely takeover target for Dish Network Corp. (DISH) or Sprint Corp. (S)

Paulson & Co., whose biggest fund specializes in buying shares of companies undergoing mergers, became a 2.3 percent stakeholder in T-Mobile US when the mobile phone company merged with MetroPCS in May of this year. The $17 billion firm, which had bought shares of MetroPCS before the merger, plans to hold the stake in the new company in anticipation of further consolidation in the industry, Paulson & Co. said in a letter to clients, a copy of which was obtained by Bloomberg News.

See the rest here: http://www.bloomberg...ish-sprint.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...