Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to stream live and recorded to TV without receiver

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

We are putting a TV out on our deck. I want to be able to watch, among other things, my DirecTV stuff, in addition to possibly amazon, netflix, whatever. I don't want to run any more wire than necessary, I don't want a receiver that I will have to return, then get a new one next year, and return, and so on, as the seasons change. I don't want to move a receiver out there every time I go out.

With that list of demands in mind, I am otherwise very open and flexible. I can build a small HTPC, I can use a tablet, I can get a Slingbox, whatever.

Whatever streams will be in my home network, streaming outside is a nice feature but nothing I'd use much. I plan on using Wifi, and the router will only be a few feet away, so signal quality shouldn't be an issue.

I use Directv2Pc on occasion on my main PC, but I don't think that does live tv. Not that money is no object, but this is something I plan on using for several years, so the ROi (if you will) should still bear out. I currently have 2 HR20s and two R16s.

What would be the best option to cover all this? I live in Ohio, so it's probably a 7 month of the year type deal, every year.

:pinkie:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

The iPad streaming with nomad is probably your best choice. You can mirror it to a TV if necessary. The wife uses it in the kitchen and we both use it on the deck.
  • Laxguy likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Don't own an iPad, but I own Android devices. I could get one, but the WAF would be low, at least initially. If Nomad had an Android app, that would be different

Does Nomad work on live TV, or just recordings?

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,924 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Does Nomad work on live TV, or just recordings?

kind of both.  it only works on recordings, but with the new "watch now" feature, you can set any live show to record (via the app as well) and then you can watch it on the iPad via the Nomad app by pulling the "recording"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

With Nomad, though, my understanding was that you can't just watch somethigno n another DVR, but it has to be on the Nomad itself, meaning you have to transfer or set up series lists on it, right?

#6 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

With Nomad, though, my understanding was that you can't just watch somethigno n another DVR, but it has to be on the Nomad itself, meaning you have to transfer or set up series lists on it, right?

If you are inside your network, you can watch the playlist of any HDDVR "live".  if you want to watch those shows while on the go, you fist have to download them to the mobile device first

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

nomad and the iPad or laptop has become my 'Picture in a Picture' (even though I have a genie). It's often that I have a game, golf, or race on the TV and iPad and watching the stats on the laptop.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

so, buy either a HTPC or iPad (or hope that someday they actually come out with an Android version), and Nomad? Slingbox or Directv2pc are not as good?

#9 OFFLINE   FredZ

FredZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have a slingbox and watch on my iPad -- it works great.  I have access to all live and recoreded programing.  There is a small lag when changing channels or ffwding that makes skipping commercials or channel surfing difficult; but if you just want to sit back and watch something it works well.  The downside is that it is using one of your recievers from inside the house, so no one else would be able to watch something different on that receiver from inside the house.  I think that sling has an android app so you should be able to use your current android tablet.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Do you already have the TV for the back deck, or are you getting ready to get one?  You may want to consider getting a TV with RVU functionality built in, and upgrading one of your HR20s (or both) to a Genie whole home DVR.

With an RVU TV you will be able to watch live TV or any of your recordings out on the deck.  Most RVU TVs also come with some other apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.  You should also be able to turn off the RVU TV's service at the end of the summer when you put the TV away, so you don't have to pay the $6/month mirroring fee year round.  Re-activating the RVU TV the next summer shouldn't require signing a new commitment with DirecTV either.  All you would need for wiring this up would be a coax cable, or ethernet cable run to the deck, and a power outlet.  If you run coax you will need a DECA adapter behind the TV to convert the coax DECA signal over to an ethernet signal the TV will understand.  If you run ethernet to the back deck you would just hook it up to your TV.

Otherwise I would say maybe look for an owned HD receiver, that way you can turn it off every fall, and back on every summer, and you won't have to send it back like you would a leased receiver.

Edited by Beerstalker, 16 April 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

You can just get an HD receiver, and at the end of the summer put it on seasonal disconnect...  you won't have to send it back...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

You can just get an HD receiver, and at the end of the summer put it on seasonal disconnect...  you won't have to send it back...

Do they still allow that?  I didn't think they did.  I thought you could only suspend entire accounts now, not just receivers.  I have an H21 that only gets used a few months a year (Oct-Jan) I would love to be able to "seasonal disconnect".

Edited by Beerstalker, 16 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Are you sure this can still be done?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

You can do it if the receiver is "owned", if it is leased it has to go back to DirecTV.

#15 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

In summary:

Option 1 is Nomad and a client (iPad or HTPC) or an RVU compatible Smart TV & Genie. Getting an additional receiver doesn't solve my situation because it only gets TV signal, and I still have to get something additional  to watch all other online content. Additionally, it would be more holes in the outside of the house. Slingbox is also still an option, but it sounds like the implementation on Nomad might work a tad better.

If I can do wireless with the Smart TV, that's an interesting option, as my one HR20 is from when it first came out, when you had to play CSR Roulette to find one to get in the first place, so IDK how much longer it would last. Genie and the Smart TV are probably more expensive than Nomad/Client, but I can also see that I might have to replace at least one HR20 soon anyway. Replacing an HR20, however, means I lose everything that I have recorded on it.

NOmad is $150, and an iPad mini on the cheap end it $350 or so. I think I saw Genie is $300, and I'm not sure the price difference between a regular and Smart/RVU TV, plus that would cost an extra $6 per month that the TV is active as a client.

Good ideas so 

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

You can do it if the receiver is "owned", if it is leased it has to go back to DirecTV.

That is what I thought.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,924 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

If I can do wireless with the Smart TV, that's an interesting option, 

RVU is NOT wireless yet.  perhaps in the feature with the introduction of 801.11ac wireless protocol this might become "doable"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Well I mean you could switch to cable and plug directly into the TV then buy a MoCA adapter for internet to the Netflix playing box. Great solution and you don't have to deal with the complexity of DirecTV and the princely fee of ~$72 a year for another tv. /s

#19 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Simplest solution is still a Slingbox. Connect the Slingbox to a receiver (depending on the size of the TV, you might want the HD capable Slingbox, but for a 19" or 20" TV the SD Slingbox should be sufficient) and use the Slingplayer app for your tablet with a HDMI cable between it and the TV. The only "catch" is that to watch some premium channels, and if you have a TV attached to the HDMI port of the receiver where the Slingbox is attached, that TV would have to be on. The workaround is to not use HDMI and connect both the TV and the Slingbox via component.

With a Sling/tablet solution, the only wired connection required is power for the TV (and maybe for the tablet if you are going to watch for many hours). You would have no recurring costs, just the initial purchase price of the Slingbox and the player for your tablet.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#20 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Don't know if this will work for you, but in part of my house, I wanted to have DTV on 4 TV's and realized that 98% of the time, no one was ever watching different channels on them, most of the time, not even having more than one on at a time. So I bought a 1x4 HDMI splitter and CL-2 rated HDMI cable from monoprice.com and pulled runs from the master bedroom to the other 3 locations. Changed the remote to RF mode and it works perfect, no problems.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...