Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to stream live and recorded to TV without receiver

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Simplest solution is still a Slingbox. Connect the Slingbox to a receiver (depending on the size of the TV, you might want the HD capable Slingbox, but for a 19" or 20" TV the SD Slingbox should be sufficient) and use the Slingplayer app for your tablet with a HDMI cable between it and the TV. The only "catch" is that to watch some premium channels, and if you have a TV attached to the HDMI port of the receiver where the Slingbox is attached, that TV would have to be on. The workaround is to not use HDMI and connect both the TV and the Slingbox via component.

With a Sling/tablet solution, the only wired connection required is power for the TV (and maybe for the tablet if you are going to watch for many hours). You would have no recurring costs, just the initial purchase price of the Slingbox and the player for your tablet.

I have the new slingbox 500 and I love it, great picture quality.  I agree that a slingbox is the way to go, but you do not need to have a TV on.  You connect both the HDMI and a component cable to the slingbox and it chooses one or the other based on the programming.  The nice thing about the slingbox is you can use the android app, web based application or any number of alternatives (google tv, WD TV, netgear neotv, etc).  I use it on the road and use it to watch tv on my projector outside.

Edited by lincolnnellie, 25 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

No, you don't NEED to have a TV, but if you do, then the satellite receiver will look for a HDCP handshake on that port.  If the TV is off, it won't respond to handshake request, and so the receiver will refuse to display any copy protected content (basically HBO/Cinemax and Starz/Encore).

If you can dedicate a receiver to the Slingbox, then you have no issues.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#23 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

No, you don't NEED to have a TV, but if you do, then the satellite receiver will look for a HDCP handshake on that port.  If the TV is off, it won't respond to handshake request, and so the receiver will refuse to display any copy protected content (basically HBO/Cinemax and Starz/Encore).

If you can dedicate a receiver to the Slingbox, then you have no issues.

Hmmm, I don't have that problem.  Maybe it is because I go through an AV receiver.

#24 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Epilogue: Got everything set up. Live-ish TV on the iPad is mediocre, at best. The lack of time shifting and overall delays in the app (it can be 30 seconds or more to start up, and I have to give it a few minutes to notice the live recording for live-ish TV) and not so great video quality, which, to be fair, is partly CrApple's fault (lightning to HDMI, google it's epic shortcomings), coupled with Amazon disabling HDMI out on Prime videos with the iPad, are why I will be returning it tomorrow and getting a Slingbox.

I will be streaming to my Nexus 10 instead.and using Boat and Flash to watch Prime videos, and the sling player for android.

It would have been nice if they actually had a Nomad app for Android, but it's clearly vaporware, and given the subpar-at-bests implementation on the iPad, it's probably irrelevant anyway.

:pinkie:

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Don't know if it helps at this point but, you could always look into grabbing an owned D10, D11 or H21.  If you have an HR20 and are looking to upgrade it, you could put it on the deck.  The HR20 is no longer recoverable by D* so you could turn it off whenever you want and you won't be required to send it back.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Don't know if it helps at this point but, you could always look into grabbing an owned D10, D11 or H21.  If you have an HR20 and are looking to upgrade it, you could put it on the deck.  The HR20 is no longer recoverable by D* so you could turn it off whenever you want and you won't be required to send it back.

Streaming to a new nsz-gs7, not my Nexus, and it's great so far. 

Interesting about the HR20, I have two that I'd like to eventually get around to upgrading, but didn't want to lose what I had on them. Not having to send back makes that a bit easier.

#27 OFFLINE   mis3

mis3

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

It would have been nice if they actually had a Nomad app for Android, but it's clearly vaporware, and given the subpar-at-bests implementation on the iPad, it's probably irrelevant anyway.

I assume you saw that the Nomad app has just come out for Android?

#28 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I assume you saw that the Nomad app has just come out for Android?

The one that doesn't work on rooted devices, so I had to fool it I had to temporarily unroot, and it still looked stuttery and mid quality at best? To say I'm disappointed that in a year, that was the best they could do, is putting it nicely.

I admit, I don't exactly come around here as much, but when exactly did DirecTV fall so far behind in tech? I don't want to rant or anything, but literally the only thing keeping me with them now is Sunday Ticket.

spam firewall