Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A new reason to hate how stupid DTV programmers are

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

First they gave us a PIP many of us do not want, and wish we could turn off.

Somewhere along the line they goobered things up so much that there is enough delay in moving from one screen to another that you can hear the final score of discover who the killer is from your PIP just in the time you are waiting for it to become mutable or pausable.

Next, they made shuttle controls useless when in PIP, which means you can't pause it to shut it up.

My workaround has always been to park the DVR on a channel that I don't get. That works well, at least until all tuners are in use.

Then they made it so you can't add a channel you dont get to "pick nine", making it that much more difficult to get to a channel that is quiet and has no picture (a channel I don't get).

But now they've gone too far; the latest uprev seems to automatically go to some other channel you do get even if you were parked on a channel you don't get when you began to watch a recording. The end result of that is that every time I delete a program I am done watching, I am treated to the video and audio of something I do not want to be watching or hearing, which could not be more annoying.

Nice Freak-ing job. DTV programmers seem to be solving problems we don't have in lieu of not solving problems we do have, by creating new problems. They tinker with stuff that does not matter that they understand but never have the ability to tackle the real ongoing problems that do matter, which they do not understand. They add features we don't want at the expense of the speed and reliability we do want. A company run by idiots that only employs idiots.

Ferchrissake, how difficult is it to make PIP a user pref, so that those of us who abhor it do not have to deal with it?

• drill likes this
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

I really must be misunderstanding what you mean by PIP, on my unit, it can be turned off, and is off by default.

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I don't think he has a Genie so no PIP, I believe he's referring to the picture in guide.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

They do know what acronyms stand for though.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

BTW, when I'm done watching a show, I go to the List and select something else. Before bed, I go into the list and delete everything I just watched.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Got it. I don't think I have been around long enough to not have the PIG, though would not be opposed to getting trick play back.

#7 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

I don't have DirecTV, but if I'm concerned I'll see/hear something I don't want at the time I delete, I mute first and avoid looking at the screen while I delete.  When I'm choosing the next program to watch, I studiously concentrate on just the items list and NOT the "PIG."  It only takes seconds until I'm watching another program (or the one showing in the guide).  Unmute while the credits finish, and I'm all set.  Maybe that will help you. :hurah:

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

Well, if you're that unhappy you can always switch to Cable or DISH.

First they gave us a PIP many of us do not want, and wish we could turn off.

Somewhere along the line they goobered things up so much that there is enough delay in moving from one screen to another that you can hear the final score of discover who the killer is from your PIP just in the time you are waiting for it to become mutable or pausable.

Next, they made shuttle controls useless when in PIP, which means you can't pause it to shut it up.

My workaround has always been to park the DVR on a channel that I don't get. That works well, at least until all tuners are in use.

Then they made it so you can't add a channel you dont get to "pick nine", making it that much more difficult to get to a channel that is quiet and has no picture (a channel I don't get).

But now they've gone too far; the latest uprev seems to automatically go to some other channel you do get even if you were parked on a channel you don't get when you began to watch a recording. The end result of that is that every time I delete a program I am done watching, I am treated to the video and audio of something I do not want to be watching or hearing, which could not be more annoying.

Nice Freak-ing job. DTV programmers seem to be solving problems we don't have in lieu of not solving problems we do have, by creating new problems. They tinker with stuff that does not matter that they understand but never have the ability to tackle the real ongoing problems that do matter, which they do not understand. They add features we don't want at the expense of the speed and reliability we do want. A company run by idiots that only employs idiots.

Ferchrissake, how difficult is it to make PIP a user pref, so that those of us who abhor it do not have to deal with it?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Ive never heard of any that has a setting to turn it off.

#10 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

A new reason to hate how stupid [DirecTV] programmers are

Before opening this thread, I was thinking it would be about Bloomberg Television HD having been added on Monday [04.15.2013]. That TomCat would state having thought about between 5 and 10 other linear HDs that would have made better choices to get added by DirecTV well before Bloomberg Television HD.

I do not think too much about the screen guide; but what grabs my attention, first and foremost, is when I go to key in a different channel; that there ends up being a delayed response. It happens often when I turn on the TV. It's like I'm waking up a groggy receiver.

Is this a problem only with DirecTV? I suspect it goes on with some other cable-television providers' systems.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

A new reason to hate how stupid [DirecTV] programmers are

Before opening this thread, I was thinking it would be about Bloomberg Television HD having been added on Monday [04.15.2013]. That TomCat would state having thought about between 5 and 10 other linear HDs that would have made better choices to get added by DirecTV well before Bloomberg Television HD.

I do not think too much about the screen guide; but what grabs my attention, first and foremost, is when I go to key in a different channel; that there ends up being a delayed response. It happens often when I turn on the TV. It's like I'm waking up a groggy receiver.

Is this a problem only with DirecTV? I suspect it goes on with some other cable-television providers' systems.

Try this. Go to channel 1. Wait for it to load. Using your DirecTV remote press Red Red Blue Blue Yellow Green. You will see this message "Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared". Should speed up your receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Well, if you're that unhappy you can always switch to Cable or DISH.

That is so helpful. You should send your resume to DTV.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I don't have DirecTV, but if I'm concerned I'll see/hear something I don't want at the time I delete, I mute first and avoid looking at the screen while I delete.  When I'm choosing the next program to watch, I studiously concentrate on just the items list and NOT the "PIG."  It only takes seconds until I'm watching another program (or the one showing in the guide).  Unmute while the credits finish, and I'm all set.  Maybe that will help you. :hurah:

Well, yes, that would be the only option left for us, wouldn't it? But thanks for that, and thanks all for enduring my rant (I will shut up now in a little bit). This is what we have been reduced to by the all-knowing benevolent overlords of DTV.

As you describe it, doesn't having to jump through all of those hoops seem ergonomically user-hostile? And isn't one of the goals of tech for consumers to make it friendly? It seems they have no clue in that regard.

And yes, I did mean PIG, and it could not have a more illustrative acronym.

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

As you describe it, doesn't having to jump through all of those hoops seem ergonomically user-hostile? And isn't one of the goals of tech for consumers to make it friendly? It seems they have no clue in that regard.

Jump through hoops? The workarounds are so easy and simple. It doesn't get much easier than pressing pause at the end of the recordings and choosing your next show. It's like some people expect every technology piece to do everything.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is what we have been reduced to by the all-knowing benevolent overlords of DTV.

Oh god that is funny.... When i first saw the title I right away thought, like i really need another reason... LOL.... 

Edited by Datagg, 16 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

TomCat, I'd honestly like to know. What is a major provider that either doesn't have a PIG (but offers an onscreen interactive guide), or allows it to be turned off? I don't know of one, but realize that there are quite a few GUIs I haven't seen.

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ive never heard of any that has a setting to turn it off.

My Tivo Premiere has a PiP window while you're in the guide and menus, and there is an option to disable it.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Well, yes, that would be the only option left for us, wouldn't it? But thanks for that, and thanks all for enduring my rant (I will shut up now in a little bit). This is what we have been reduced to by the all-knowing benevolent overlords of DTV.

And yes, I did mean PIG, and it could not have a more illustrative acronym.

I know it seemed obvious, but sometimes the obvious is all you have left.

I don't find things I want to watch from the "PIG" either.  I don't know anyone who does.  It initially seemed to be more of a "look what we can do" addition that has stuck.  It really doesn't bother me though--unless I hear the score of a sport I'm recording.  I don't like watching anything after I know who won.

Good luck in a better, easier solution!!  Yeah, it is a good acronym, isn't it?!

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

My Tivo Premiere has a PiP window while you're in the guide and menus, and there is an option to disable it.

Do any providers offer TiVo premiere as options on equipment and you call them not tivo for support, install etc? I'm particularly interested in boxes the cable, sat and IPTV providers support. Having that on a TiVo that you have to get separately or on an HTPC, whole valid, isn't surprising.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Jump through hoops? The workarounds are so easy and simple. It doesn't get much easier than pressing pause at the end of the recordings and choosing your next show. It's like some people expect every technology piece to do everything.

Actually, it does get easier. All you need is a time machine or a back rev to how the then faster and more reliable HD DVR+ performed in 2010. Or better yet, go back to 2006 when the Tivo HR10-250 had no PIG to annoy us with.

You entirely missed the point, which is that DTV programmers have taken away little pieces of the operability with every up rev piece by piece, instead of making the damned thing better. Progress has a definition, and this ain't it.

This leaves us with four options:

1) Suffer the annoyanced of unwanted audio and video every time you delete a program, which prevents ANY control of the DVR for the next 3 to 5 seconds.

2) Remember to avert your eyes and plug your ears, or train yourself to get into the habit of muting the volume whenever you delete a program.

3) Pause the program instead of deleting it, and then remember to delete it later. That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The only time to logically delete a program is just after you've seen it, which is exactly why the DVR asks you if you would like to. I do not need housekeeping tasks to pile up that I have to revisit and figure out later when I can and should be able to, without being annoyed to all hell by the PIG, take care of them at the most logical time.

4) Cut the cord and drop DTV altogether, and occasionally reminisce about how well the system used to work back in the day.

I find none of those acceptable. I want the people I pay a hundred or better to every month to be working for me rather than against me, to figure out how to make my user experience better over time, rather than worse.

To paraphrase you, it's like some people expect their stupid little workaround to be just fine with everybody else.

Edited by TomCat, 16 April 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...