Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A new reason to hate how stupid DTV programmers are

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

So dramatic. There's another easy option... Get a H25 or any non DVR, keep it tuned to a channel you never watch or record, and watch everything through MRV.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I find none of those acceptable. I want the people I pay a hundred or better to every month to be working for me rather than against me, to figure out how to make my user experience better over time, rather than worse.

To paraphrase you, it's like some people expect their stupid little workaround to be just fine with everybody else.

If they work for you, then they either work against someone else, or they have so many options and permutations its unreasonable. Some want a PIG, others don't want it in a different location, larger, smaller. Some want a clock on the front panel, others don't. Screensaver on or off, and those are just a few of the requests I remember.

#23 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

This is rarely a problem for me but on occasion I hit mute.  I'm usually focused on the playlist or guide so I don't see the video.  Since your old work around doesn't work anymore this one might.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#24 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Do any providers offer TiVo premiere as options on equipment and you call them not tivo for support, install etc? I'm particularly interested in boxes the cable, sat and IPTV providers support. Having that on a TiVo that you have to get separately or on an HTPC, whole valid, isn't surprising.

I have no idea what various cable providers offer as far as Tivo hardware. I'm pretty sure some have deals with Tivo to resell their equipment, but I don't know what form that takes. I'm not sure what difference it would make whether I'm buying from Tivo or from my local cable company as far as offering an option to disable program in guide. Why would Tivo be more likely to offer this ability than Directv or a cable company?

This isn't allowing them to make more money like having ads in the menu/guide screens, it is just for convenience. I like that I can look up something in the guide while I'm watching a program and have the program continue in a small window during this process. If I'm recording something that I don't want "spoiled" I know that when I turn it on, like when I was recording the Masters this past weekend, shortly after I start it up but before my TV is fully 'on' I must hit the pause button so I won't accidentally hear something that might ruin it for me.

If I was really concerned about it I would disable it entirely, but it's not a big deal to me. I don't know why Directv or others wouldn't offer the same, aside from the rather obvious fact that the more things there are for people to tweak the more complicated support becomes. If customers aren't demanding it they don't provide it, and since there is a simple workaround (pause or mute) they probably don't put a high priority on it.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#25 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

One more idea, works perfectly for me: If I'm to spend more than a few seconds with the PIG active*, I first tune to a PBS channel. Never a score tip, or spoiler of anything. And you might hear a tidbit of interest. 

*If I go to List, I generally know what I want to select, so I am there all of 2 seconds; no need to change channels or mute. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Do any providers offer TiVo premiere as options on equipment and you call them not tivo for support, install etc? I'm particularly interested in boxes the cable, sat and IPTV providers support. Having that on a TiVo that you have to get separately or on an HTPC, whole valid, isn't surprising.

Yes, some cable provides offer the TiVo Premier as their DVR.  The one that comes to mind is Cox, there are others.  It is a retail Premier with the Netflix, Hulu, etc. replaced by the Cox VOD.  In this case you would call Cox for support.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#27 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

I've always loved the PIG, since for me I tend to play with the remote and browse through the guide, playlist, and settings/todo while watching/listening to sporting events and/or the news most nights and weekends.

As for not being spoiled with content from a show that's recording ...

In the old days of a only a 2-tuner DVR, I'd quickly change to another channel, or I'd mute the TV if two recordings were in progress while keeping my eyes just the Playlist.

Since 2010, ever since I upgraded to a Genie, I no longer have any issue, because with the 5 tuners of the Genie I never have a recording going on in the foreground, and if by accident I happen to be on a channel that I am recording then I just quickly change the channel.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#28 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

While I am not as cranky as TomCat about it, I agree that taking away our ability to shuttle control the PIG/PIL was definitely a loss for me.  I understand the functionality of the FF/REW buttons, but couldn't we have kept PAUSE?

#29 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

While I am not as cranky as TomCat about it, I agree that taking away our ability to shuttle control the PIG/PIL was definitely a loss for me.  I understand the functionality of the FF/REW buttons, but couldn't we have kept PAUSE?

No, because on the new remotes play and pause are the same button and play is used in the PIL to start a recording.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#30 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I guess we got so spoiled on TV that we argue about every little detail, but to each there own.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#31 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

No, because on the new remotes play and pause are the same button and play is used in the PIL to start a recording.

If DirecTV would have used a different IR codeset for the new remotes, they wouldn't have had to disable stuff on our exiting remotes to get the new ones to work the way they wanted.

This is one of the few decisions DirecTV has made that I am unhappy with.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

That is so helpful. You should send your resume to DTV.

And face age discrimination.  Doubt me?

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

If DirecTV would have used a different IR codeset for the new remotes, they wouldn't have had to disable stuff on our exiting remotes to get the new ones to work the way they wanted.

Yes, my family members are very confused when they try to pause the PIL and then some show that happened to be highlighted starts playing. 

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Why would they change their IR codeset?  That would be nuts.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Why would they change their IR codeset?  That would be nuts.

Why would it be?  Come out with a new IR codeset that only works with the new remotes.  You know, just like they did with the RF frequency/codes.

That means all of the old remotes and old receivers could continue to work just the way they have for years, and people with them don't have to change anything.  The old remotes could even work with the new receivers and still control them just like the old receivers (like you would still be able to pause in the guide if you had an old remote and an HR44).

However the new remotes would only work with the new receivers (although it may be possible they could add the new IR commands to the old receivers with a software update).  On those receivers the new remotes wouldn't be able to pause in the guide because the pause and play command are the same and it wouldn't know which you were trying to do.

Not sure why you think this would have been that big of a deal, unless you thought I meant change the codesets for the old remotes/receivers, which is definitely not what I meant.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Why would it be?  Come out with a new IR codeset that only works with the new remotes.  You know, just like they did with the RF frequency/codes.

And obsolete all the Harmony remote setups, or other smart remotes, out there if you upgrade or get a unit with a new IR codeset as a replacement?  No thanks...  All because people don't want to have to hit pause before bringing up their playlist?  Doing that is not that "big of a deal" to me.

I agree taking away the functionality sucks but it's water under the bridge now and completely changing the IR codeset is not the answer.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

And obsolete all the Harmony remote setups, or other smart remotes, out there if you upgrade or get a unit with a new IR codeset as a replacement?  No thanks...  All because people don't want to have to hit pause before bringing up their playlist?  Doing that is not that "big of a deal" to me.

I agree taking away the functionality sucks but it's water under the bridge now and completely changing the IR codeset is not the answer.

Again, coming up with a new codeset for the new remote wouldn't change anything for anyone that already has an old receiver and remote. 

Also, Harmony and other smart remotes would still work just fine as Logitech would update their remote database with the new IR codeset so anyone who gets a new receiver and wants to use the new codeset would be ok too.  Logitech adds new remote IR codesets to their database all the time as new electronics are released.  Do you really think that Sony TV this year uses the exact same IR codeset as one from 10 year ago, no sony came out with a new IR codeset, and Logitech added it to their database so it works fine now.  Every now and then you might have to learn the Ir commands, or wait a couple weeks for Logitech to get the IR commands from the manufacutrer, or get another user to learn them all, but eventually the codeset will get added.  I remember when I first got my Toshiba HD-DVR player, half of the IR commands were missing since it was a brand new IR codeset.  A couple weeks later most of the commands were there, but they still didn't have the discreet power on and power off commands.  I actually emailed the HEX strings for the commands to Harmony support and they were able to get them added too.  That is the whole point of these internet enabled programmable remotes, their device libraries can constantly be updated.  That's why my Harmony 880 manufactured 6 years ago can still control new devices that come out every year.

As far as it being water under the bridge, yes it is now.  But it was a very poor decision on DirecTV's part.  When is the last time  you heard of Samsung changing their remote design for the new TV they were coming out with, and because of that they changed how all the old remotes worked on their old TVs.  That doesn't happen, and it shouldn't have happened here either.

Edited by Beerstalker, 19 April 2013 - 03:30 PM.

-by Jack Handy

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Again, coming up with a new codeset for the new remote wouldn't change anything for anyone that already has an old receiver and remote. 

Also, Harmony and other smart remotes would still work just fine as Logitech would update their remote database with the new IR codeset so anyone who gets a new receiver and wants to use the new codeset would be ok too.  Logitech adds new remote IR codesets to their database all the time as new electronics are released.  Do you really think that Sony TV this year uses the exact same IR codeset as one from 10 year ago, no sony came out with a new IR codeset, and Logitech added it to their database so it works fine now.  Every now and then you might have to learn the Ir commands, or wait a couple weeks for Logitech to get the IR commands from the manufacutrer, or get another user to learn them all, but eventually the codeset will get added.  I remember when I first got my Toshiba HD-DVR player, half of the IR commands were missing since it was a brand new IR codeset.  A couple weeks later most of the commands were there, but they still didn't have the discreet power on and power off commands.  I actually emailed the HEX strings for the commands to Harmony support and they were able to get them added too.  That is the whole point of these internet enabled programmable remotes, their device libraries can constantly be updated.  That's why my Harmony 880 manufactured 6 years ago can still control new devices that come out every year.

As far as it being water under the bridge, yes it is now.  But it was a very poor decision on DirecTV's part.  When is the last time  you heard of Samsung changing their remote design for the new TV they were coming out with, and because of that they changed how all the old remotes worked on their old TVs.  That doesn't happen, and it shouldn't have happened here either.

As I said in my last post it would change everything for them if they got an upgrade or a new receiver as a replacement.

Yes, Harmony does update their database but you'd rather see customers required to modify their Harmony setup because you can't be bothered to hit pause before bringing up the playlist?   Come on...

Your Samsung TV example is comparing Apples to Oranges.   Samsung wouldn't send you a new TV as a replacement for a bad one without a new remote.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I like the PIG.  It lets me still sort of watch and listen to programs while searching for something else.  In fact its too small for me.  I like the blue button mini-guide.  I just wish the mini-guide had a user configurable option to display more than one row at a time.  I'd set mine to 3 like the mini-guide on Cable's I-Guide, or 4 like the mini-guide on Comcast On-Screen Guide 2.0.

full_tvl_miniguide.jpg

But for those of you who don't like the PIG, I don't see why they couldn't just put in a user configurable option to use a Comcast 2.0 style "Max guide".  That way everyone can choose the view they want.

full_tvl_maxguide.jpg

Comcast / Xfinity On Screen Guide 2.0 guide view examples: http://info.xfinity....px#tvguideviews

Comcast / Xfinity On Screen Guide 3.0 aka X1 view examples: http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

Edited by cypherx, 19 April 2013 - 05:02 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#40 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

We've been told many times that "user configurable options" isn't something DirecTV does these days.

• cypherx likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...