Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Attempting to Install, Few Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chrishouse4

chrishouse4

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPark Hills, MO

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

First off, i'm a complete newbie when it comes to satellite installation, so bear with me if you can. I worked for AT&T as a Prem Tech so I have somewhat of a background for general cable installation.

I have a slimline dish with an LNB that reads SL35PIG-P as the model number.

Receiver is an HR-24 and I have a power inserter.

I've attempted to find installation instructions and just a general guide on how all of this works, but I've had no luck. Came here hoping someone could help. I tried basically just hooking everything up according to a crude drawing that I had from a "satellite professional" but it doesn't work too well.

Is there anyone who can point me in the general direction I need to go here? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Have you aligned the dish yet?

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,656 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

First off, i'm a complete newbie when it comes to satellite installation, so bear with me if you can. I worked for AT&T as a Prem Tech so I have somewhat of a background for general cable installation.

Receiver is an HR-24 and I have a power inserter.

I've attempted to find installation instructions and just a general guide on how all of this works, but I've had no luck. Came here hoping someone could help. I tried basically just hooking everything up according to a crude drawing that I had from a "satellite professional" but it doesn't work too well.

Is there anyone who can point me in the general direction I need to go here? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

That model number would indicate a "legacy" LNB.  how many outputs on that LNB?  one of four?

If one, it is a SWM and you need one cable to the HR24 plus the power supply.  If four, you need two cables to the HR24 plus two BBCs, no power supply is needed.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   chrishouse4

chrishouse4

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPark Hills, MO

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Have you aligned the dish yet?

No i have not done that yet. I basically assumed it was correct as the previous occupants had working service. I very well may be wrong though about proper alignment.

That model number would indicate a "legacy" LNB.  how many outputs on that LNB?  one of four?

If one, it is a SWM and you need one cable to the HR24 plus the power supply.  If four, you need two cables to the HR24 plus two BBCs, no power supply is needed.

It has just 1 output on it. Ok I will try that and see what kind of results I get. I have the two BBC's still on the receiver from the previous installation, I take it they aren't needed for this particular setup?

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

No i have not done that yet. I basically assumed it was correct as the previous occupants had working service. I very well may be wrong though about proper alignment.

Once you have the receiver connected, go to the Signal Strength screen and check levels for 101, 103c a/b and 99c satellites. 101 should display some transponders with 100s or very high 90s, the other satellites should be fine in the mid to upper 90s.

It has just 1 output on it. Ok I will try that and see what kind of results I get. I have the two BBC's still on the receiver from the previous installation, I take it they aren't needed for this particular setup?

BBCs are not needed in that case, however you do need the power inserter connected (either in line with receiver or you can connect it through a 2 way power passing green label D* approved splitter such as this one here

Edited by coolman302003, 15 April 2013 - 10:01 PM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#6 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

chrishouse4,

OK. If I understand your posts so far, you moved into a place that had a DirecTV dish already installed (probably aligned) and you really just want to know what to do to connect things up. Based on that, like you, I would at least do an initial test of that assumption and try to just get the dish to work.

To do that, I would do a test setup first. Take a good RG6 line with whatever length will get you from the dish to where you have your receiver or can put a receiver for a test setup. Run the RG6 from the single port on the LNB to your PI port marked "to SWM". Take another short RG6 line and hook it to the "to IRD" port on your PI and the other end to your receiver. Connect the receiver to your TV. Make sure everything is plugged in then turn on the sat receiver and the TV and see what happens. (OH. And on the satellite type screen, make sure you have it set to SWM3.)

You should at least get the messages that say the sat receiver is trying to do the setup. Your other posts are very unclear as to where your failure point is occuring. So, you need to note down any error codes you get and let us know what they are. This will allow us to give you much better information on how to proceed. If, on the other hand, this test setup works, you have your answer on what you need to do with the inhouse wiring to make it work. But, everything posted so far is just too vague to really be of any assistance toward helping you solve your problem.

Bob

Edited by BobStokesbary, 16 April 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Are you sure the model number isn't SL3SPIG-P?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   chrishouse4

chrishouse4

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPark Hills, MO

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

chrishouse4,

OK. If I understand your posts so far, you moved into a place that had a DirecTV dish already installed (probably aligned) and you really just want to know what to do to connect things up. Based on that, like you, I would at least do an initial test of that assumption and try to just get the dish to work.

To do that, I would do a test setup first. Take a good RG6 line with whatever length will get you from the dish to where you have your receiver or can put a receiver for a test setup. Run the RG6 from the single port on the LNB to your PI port marked "to SWM". Take another short RG6 line and hook it to the "to IRD" port on your PI and the other end to your receiver. Connect the receiver to your TV. Make sure everything is plugged in then turn on the sat receiver and the TV and see what happens. (OH. And on the satellite type screen, make sure you have it set to SWM3.)

You should at least get the messages that say the sat receiver is trying to do the setup. Your other posts are very unclear as to where your failure point is occuring. So, you need to note down any error codes you get and let us know what they are. This will allow us to give you much better information on how to proceed. If, on the other hand, this test setup works, you have your answer on what you need to do with the inhouse wiring to make it work. But, everything posted so far is just too vague to really be of any assistance toward helping you solve your problem.

Bob

I did exactly that and everything worked perfect after I messed around with the settings a bit. Now, in order to get the DVR to work, I assume I need a second line in? Can I make this work with the single cable ran to a splitter and then to the receiver? Or does it not work that way? 

Are you sure the model number isn't SL3SPIG-P?

Yes, that's it. I read my writing wrong.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,821 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

The SWiM LNB (which is what you have) only requires one line to the DVR, so your DVR should work just fine and offer dual tuner capability.  If you add another receiver or DVR someplace else in your house, then you can use a splitter (get an approved green label splitter designed for the purpose) to split the single coax from the dish. You can split it before or after the power inserter, but if you do it before the power inserter you have to make sure the power inserter is connected to the correct (power passing) port on the splitter.

You cannot do this type of splitting with a regular (non-SWM) LNB (one that has 4 outputs on it). Totally different technologies.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,656 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Since you have a SWM system, all you need to do is make sure the HDDVR is set for "dual" tuners when you are on the dust satellite settings.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I second what Carl6 said. Your SWM head supports up to 8 tuners. Your current HR24 has 2. But, you only need one cable attached to the "Tuner 1 SWM" terminal. If you decide to add another receiver/DVR you can ask about that when it is time.

Glad everything seems to be working now. Just follow what you did for the test wiring with your permenant setup and you are good to go. Do enjoy, DirecTV is a great service.

Edited by BobStokesbary, 17 April 2013 - 11:15 PM.

spam firewall