Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The genie vs an extra Hd DVR

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chinatown

Chinatown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

I currently have whole home wired setup, 1 Hd DVR + 2 hd receiver.  The main tv has pip built in.

I like many of you have interest in the genie. However, if you are an existing customer, like me.,why not simply get another Hd DVR. That gives you 4 programs to recorder, + it is free.

In addition, I am considering keeping the existing hd receiver, which will allow me to implement the pip feature.

The only additional fee is $6.00 per month.  This works for me.

What do the rest of you think.

Edited by Chinatown, 15 April 2013 - 09:21 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's not necessarily free. I like one DVR to manage, of course for someone else it's all the eggs in one basket. The Genie also hands some other features not available from a DVR (PIP, RVU, larger than 2 Tb drive etc.)

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

why not simply get another Hd DVR. That gives you 4 programs to recorder, + it is free.

The Genie is you case will give 7 (including you existing HDDVR) tuners to record, plus it has built in PIP with no extra monthly (like your workaround will cost you)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Chinatown

Chinatown

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

It's not necessarily free. I like one DVR to manage, of course for someone else it's all the eggs in one basket. The Genie also hands some other features not available from a DVR (PIP, RVU, larger than 2 Tb drive etc.)

I called yesterday. They said the only cost would be the shipping @ $19.00.

4 programs is enough for me.

Edited by Chinatown, 15 April 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I'm sure, just saying that its not the same situation for everyone. On the other hand, some have gotten the Genie free.

#6 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

I am sure they will give you a genie for the same price if you are a good customer.

#7 OFFLINE   Chinatown

Chinatown

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I am sure they will give you a genie for the same price if you are a good customer.

However, that means a new install, which I am sure will not be free. With my suggestion, it is just a matter of replacing the hd receiver with the DVR.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

However, that means a new install, which I am sure will not be free. With my suggestion, it is just a matter of replacing the hd receiver with the DVR.

The $49.00 installation fee is a small price to pay if you were to get the Genie free of charge

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, but $50 is annoying when the Genie is a simple swap. It's a deal when conversion to SWM or SWM16 is needed. At least at one point, they required installation even for a simple swap. I was glad to get mine through a reseller and just install myself.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

I was glad to get mine through a reseller and just install myself.

So you pay more than $49.00 just so you could install it yourself?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Didn't think I wanted a Genie till I started coming here more.  LOL.

Have  2 HDDVRs on living room TV (guess that was my way of getting close to a Genie 3 years ago) and when one of them croaks (probably the HR20) might keep the second HDDVR there, and add a Genie.  Will need a SWiM16, but gee, that's a cool thing to have!  And of course, once there is a Genie in the house, the kitchen TV could get a C31 and finally I'd have HD satellite there instead of SD mirroring.

I could see over time replacing some of the rest of my 5 HDDVRs with Genies as D* loosens up on how many we can each have.

That D* based system I maintain will need upgraded to HD someday.  Maybe a non-DVR version of a Genie with built in adjacent channel ATSC or QAM modulators is in the pipeline someday.  It would be a fantastic gadget. If it was the size of a D12 (or of 5 or fewer D12s stacked up) it would be perfect.

Imagine how many sports bars could use a receiver like that on their wall wall of big screen TVs!

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

So you pay more than $49.00 just so you could install it yourself?

I've had very bad luck with installers. One dead simple aspect of my SWM upgrade, getting it connected to the Internet took 3 service calls, the last guy said they would have to come back for a 4th, until he decided to play along and follow my instructions on what to do. It's worth it to me not to go through that, or some of the other pleasures I've had.

Plus I got mine very early, December 2011.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I've had very bad luck with installers. One dead simple aspect of my SWM upgrade, getting it connected to the Internet took 3 service calls, the last guy said they would have to come back for a 4th, until he decided to play along and follow my instructions on what to do. It's worth it to me not to go through that, or some of the other pleasures I've had.

Plus I got mine very early, December 2011.

Understood.  but realize that not many folks are going to spend $300 to save $49.00

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

True, but for those that already have a high enough SWM, the genie won't require a new cable run, Directv charging $50 bucks to do what the customer can do themselves is what I have an issue with.

But then on the rare occasion I go to someone's house to work on their PC, it's $100 for a stupid 5 minute fix.

spam firewall