Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

21-24 Mbps not enough bandwidth to stream On Demand!?!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Only good thing about bit torrent is when played through XBMC and HDMI, I can get DTS sound if I download the right rip.

DirecTV does have Dolby Digital but not DTS.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

...and illegal.

lol it cracks me up when people admit to doing illegal things on public forums.

Edited by Volatility, 03 May 2013 - 12:14 AM.

• sigma1914 likes this

#23 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I only can get 6.0 DSL from AT&T and it is a very consistent 5.7 mps. Netflix says the minimum for HD is 5.0 and it works quite well. I have only watched three or four on Demands, from D*, and each one streamed very well with no buffering at all.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#24 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 346 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Can the individual ISP's have an impact on the VOD content delivery?

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#25 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Everyone needs to be very careful about how they represent their Internet speed.

1.  Your burst ("boost") speed is going to read much better than your sustained speed; perhaps 50% better.

2.  Make absolutely certain that your units of measure are correctly represented.  Mbps (megabits per second) is not the same as MBps (megabytes per second).

Most of the satellite downlinked HD content runs at around 5-16Mbps but it is rarely sustained at the highest rates.

The most important aspect of your experience is going to be related to the consistency of your Internet connection, not the maximum speed.  Having to adjust the bitrate on the server frequently is going to result in a poor experience.

These are very good points, but in my case the 35 Mb/s (not MB/s) is not any kind of burst speed. I have no idea about the consistency or latency of my connection to the server, but I know the experience is so bad that I don't even use DirecTV On Demand.

I stream the highest bitrates offered from Netflix and several podcast networks and never have this issue.

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Can the individual ISP's have an impact on the VOD content delivery?

Absolutely!

Such is not to say that any problems aren't DIRECTV's fault, but the way an ISP chooses to balance their load can certainly have an impact.

If your true average bandwidth (after the first 30 second or so) drops significantly, you're a victim of "boost".  Unfortunately, this is very difficult to measure as most of the bandwidth tests last 20 seconds or less.

Contrary to what the telcos used to crow about, everyone is running on shared bandwidth and if you're served by a node that is heavily loaded, you'll get degradation in speeds when you and your neighbors are collectively most active.

I ran a speed test last night to a machine that was located less than 40 miles away and the throughput was in the 4.3Mbps range on an advertised 15Mbps DSL connection.  Clearly the ISP is overloading if you can't get 1/3rd your rated bandwidth.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Not sure, I'm not home.  I'll check it tonight.  Note, I did not do "watch now" I did the download (I assume there is a difference).  

The only difference that I can see is "watch now" runs a check of the download time/speed before it starts playing. If/when it fails, it give you the option to record.

If it doesn't fail, it's still recording.

A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Since I have DVRs , I prefer to record On Demand titles and then watch later.

Nothing is worth having to watch NOW!

That's what a DVR is for.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#29 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Absolutely!

Such is not to say that any problems aren't DIRECTV's fault, but the way an ISP chooses to balance their load can certainly have an impact.

If your true average bandwidth (after the first 30 second or so) drops significantly, you're a victim of "boost".  Unfortunately, this is very difficult to measure as most of the bandwidth tests last 20 seconds or less.

Contrary to what the telcos used to crow about, everyone is running on shared bandwidth and if you're served by a node that is heavily loaded, you'll get degradation in speeds when you and your neighbors are collectively most active.

I ran a speed test last night to a machine that was located less than 40 miles away and the throughput was in the 4.3Mbps range on an advertised 15Mbps DSL connection.  Clearly the ISP is overloading if you can't get 1/3rd your rated bandwidth.

Not necessarily your ISP's fault. Try doing the test to a few more distant servers located in say Seattle and California. You might find that it is just the pipe between your ISP and the server you're testing against that is the problem. Not saying that DSL can't be oversubscribed as well - if an ISP has less bandwidth to the outside world than there is demand for that bandwidth, everyone will slow down even if they aren't shared on a neighborhood basis like cable is. That is much easier to fix that an oversubscribed cable node, but it still costs real money to do and a provider trying to cut costs may not want to make the investment necessary if the beancounters don't think they'll get a return on it in the form of greater customer retention (i.e., if your local cable company sucks, your local telco has less incentive to not suck)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#30 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Time Warner Roadrunner with 30/5 and have yet to run into an issue that I can recall with anything on demand.

Youtube likes to crap out on me from time to time, but for the most part my connection is rock solid across all the various devices I utilize at home and content streaming from various providers.

#31 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

One way to confirm the performance of your internet connection is to go to a site like http://speedtest.net/

The site tests your ping times, upload and download speeds and helps you cut through the "turbo," "ultra", etc marketing hype of your ISP to find out what you're really getting.

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#32 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Justify stealing however you wish, it's still stealing and illegal. The USB plugs aren't for illegal copies, they're for extra storage and playing copies you made of your library...not illegal torrents.  Do you work for free?

Actually, yes, for many years I've done work and never gotten paid for it. Care to sue my clients for me? I'm owed at least $19,000.00

#33 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Wow....glad you can justify it. 

I'll justify it even more if the authorities decide to show up by simply showing them that I legally own just about everything I've ever downloaded. When the music/movie companies offer free replacements for their defective CD/DVD's then I'll stop but I'm not going to buy the same product I've owned for years again. Go ahead if you want to.

btw, I've got a ton of DVD's that I paid $20 for that I watched only once because the movies sucked so bad. You want them? $10 bucks each.

Edited by mystic7, 17 April 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

The only difference that I can see is "watch now" runs a check of the download time/speed before it starts playing. If/when it fails, it give you the option to record.

If it doesn't fail, it's still recording.

Do you know if they are they still offering a choice of a lower quality, faster download for some PPVs.  I thought maybe the "watch now" would be a streaming version of that.

I didn't get a chance to re-download the movie last night.  I will try tomorrow night.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Do you know if they are they still offering a choice of a lower quality, faster download for some PPVs.  I thought maybe the "watch now" would be a streaming version of that.

I didn't get a chance to re-download the movie last night.  I will try tomorrow night.

I haven't seen that choice here for a long time. :shrug:

A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Not necessarily your ISP's fault. Try doing the test to a few more distant servers located in say Seattle and California. You might find that it is just the pipe between your ISP and the server you're testing against that is the problem. Not saying that DSL can't be oversubscribed as well - if an ISP has less bandwidth to the outside world than there is demand for that bandwidth, everyone will slow down even if they aren't shared on a neighborhood basis like cable is. That is much easier to fix that an oversubscribed cable node, but it still costs real money to do and a provider trying to cut costs may not want to make the investment necessary if the beancounters don't think they'll get a return on it in the form of greater customer retention (i.e., if your local cable company sucks, your local telco has less incentive to not suck)

You make some good points, but I tend to put it on the ISP more. Sure when an ATM goes down it isn't the ISP's fault and everything slows down. For an ISP to have bandwidth problems "outside" seems rare, as the bandwidth is so large that it would take so many users to all be trying to max their usages.

It does come down to how well the ISP manages their network.

Cable seems to be more prone to overloading a node, as this is the least bandwidth making it easier.

I saw this yesterday with Compcrap, where one min it tested 0.8 Mb/s, and then 5.2 Mb/s, and then 3.2 Mb/s, and finally 2.4 Mb/s.

This node is way overloaded.

One way to confirm the performance of your internet connection is to go to a site like http://speedtest.net/

The site tests your ping times, upload and download speeds and helps you cut through the "turbo," "ultra", etc marketing hype of your ISP to find out what you're really getting.

I wouldn't be so quick to say "confirm" the performance. ISPs can do some underhanded things.

I had speed problems with an old cable ISP.

The node was so over subscribed, that I could see when my neighbors went to church and came home. [no joke]

I worked with them for a long time trying to sort this out.

The first thing they did after showing the tech the speedtest results was to configure their end so speedtest ALWAYS reported full speed, yet the only time I had it was at 2 AM and 2PM could be hard just to get email.

I'm not says all ISPs are this underhanded, but that speedtest doesn't always give you the "whole story". Timing a download and comparing the size of large files will be a better "test".

The last weekend I was on this ISP, it was taking 18+ hours for SD On Demand, and DSL had just come into the area so I had it too and the same On Demand was less than an hour.

Several years later, the cable ISP finally ran another fiber to split the node.

A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   mamoth

mamoth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have 100 down and am having issues with VoD.

#38 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I haven't seen that choice here for a long time. :shrug:

I don't know if it still exists.  Even when it did, it was hit or miss, but I don't use their PPV enough to know if it is still around.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Not sure what to say, since I don't with:

2651985482.png

A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thats pretty bad.  Hard to tell exactly what could be the problem with 100 down and having problems.

99% of the time, this is what I see, and my streaming services across the various devices here at home reflect as much:

2652998623.png

spam firewall