Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

21-24 Mbps not enough bandwidth to stream On Demand!?!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

Like others, I am in a 50 down line and my speeds are usually around 40....and I also have VoD issues

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Here's the warning.  There will be no more discussion of downloading torrents.  

Such discussions are a violation of the DBSTalk User Agreement (Link).

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#43 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Here's the warning.  There will be no more discussion of downloading torrents.  

Such discussions are a violation of the DBSTalk User Agreement (Link).

Mike

I didn't see the discussion on downloading torrents, but which section in the User Agreement does it violate? There is a restriction on posting instructions, but I didn't see anything forbidding a discussion about it. I don't care one way or the other, but I was just curious which section it violates.

#44 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

My download speed is only ~4 Mbps.   On Demand appears like it is letterboxed SD.  I get full screen by setting the format to Cropped.  Not HD but it is watchable, sort-of.

#45 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I don't use D* VoD service all that often since it's not that great but lately I've been catching up with Dexter episodes.  The past few days the service has been pathetically SLOW.  It was fine the last few weeks but something is going on now.  I tried a DVR reboot and reset my modem but it was still slow the next day.

The other night I tried to download a season 4 episode and it was still at 7% after an hour.  That's bad.  I wonder if my comcrap internet service is starting to throttle me since I've been doing more streaming lately with both a Roku and D* Vod. Frustrated!!!!  :confused:

Edited by John Strk, 20 April 2013 - 02:48 PM.

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#46 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

I have 100meg from Charter and it pops up and tells me I don't sufficient bandwidth to stream a 30 min HD show which makes no sense.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I have 100meg from Charter and it pops up and tells me I don't sufficient bandwidth to stream a 30 min HD show which makes no sense.

It may not be your bandwidth that's the problem. 

Can you post a sample from DSLReports.com? (Not speedtest)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

2661093759.png

2n7gpkk.jpg

#49 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

completly not an internet issue on the download side, game of thrones takes about 5 hours to download form hbo on demand. ive had 100mb and not have 25 mb down here. Its all on the other end for server upload speed.

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

completly not an internet issue on the download side, game of thrones takes about 5 hours to download form hbo on demand. ive had 100mb and not have 25 mb down here. Its all on the other end for server upload speed.

Once again I wonder where you get this.

I read this and went to my Genie, pulled up Game Of Thrones and clicked on "watch now". It started right up and after 5 mins had 5 mins showing in my playlist.

A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

I guess a good question might be can you watch Zero Dark Thirty now?

I just checked my "watch now" of it and had no problems. It streams down at 7+ Mb/s

I finally retested this.  No issues.  Download zipped along at a 3-4 / 1 minute ratio.  Don't know what was going on that particular night.  I just know it wasn't my end because I did stream two movies at the same time off Vudu right after I quit the Directv download.  

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#52 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

I finally retested this.  No issues.  Download zipped along at a 3-4 / 1 minute ratio.  Don't know what was going on that particular night.  I just know it wasn't my end because I did stream two movies at the same time off Vudu right after I quit the Directv download.  

My theory is 'that particular night' was a time when the DTVs servers were throttled down to a slower speed, for whatever reason.  I have the same occasional issues with Netflix.  That all supports my theory that DirecTV (and Netflix) control higher or lower download speeds to us as a function of their own algorithm, which I'd think is a function of overall usage of the servers in question, by other users as well.  So speed is a shot in the dark for the user.

#53 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Something changed in the last week or so. . . I've been catching up on 'Shameless' (Showtime) and had no problem with watch now. In the last couple of weeks it's been at least a 2 hour download. I just started a download, I'll post later what it really took. 15/5 here.

Edit: 41% at 30minutes, so it's a little less than 1:1. A little better than last week. Router reports 4.5-5 Mbps

Edit2: 82% at 60 minutes. Pretty linear.

Edit3: 100% at 75 minutes.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I don't want to sound like the "great defender" of DirecTV On Demand, as I don't own stock in the company.

I read these posts/threads and have had the same problem.

Once I changed my ISP, 5-6 years ago, I haven't had one problem with On Demand.

With 6 Mb/s service HD wasn't always 1:1 and mostly 1:1.5 [for every min of program it took a min & a half].

With 12 Mb/s service HD is mostly "watch now", though I've had a few buffer messages that I clear and continue without problems.

I did find one HD program recently that I couldn't watch now, so I downloaded it and it took twice as long.

Like most, I thought it was a DirecTV problem. I checked out the bit-rate of the program and found it to be 14-16 Mb/s, so there wasn't any problem on the DirecTV side as it was coming through at 7 Mb/s.

Not having a connection faster than 11ish Mb/s, I can't tell if DirecTV ever goes any higher.

It just seems 99% of the time it isn't DirecTV that's the problem.

Sure anyone can have a server problem, so that's the 1% and maybe if the program is "hot" everyone is trying to watch it at the same time. 

A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I had an issue with same movie on same night.  I think it must have been issue on their end.

I am surprised this title wasn't "pre-downloaded" to my Genie -- I thought most new releases were?

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#56 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't want to sound like the "great defender" of DirecTV On Demand, as I don't own stock in the company.

I read these posts/threads and have had the same problem.

Once I changed my ISP, 5-6 years ago, I haven't had one problem with On Demand.

With 6 Mb/s service HD wasn't always 1:1 and mostly 1:1.5 [for every min of program it took a min & a half].

With 12 Mb/s service HD is mostly "watch now", though I've had a few buffer messages that I clear and continue without problems.

I did find one HD program recently that I couldn't watch now, so I downloaded it and it took twice as long.

Like most, I thought it was a DirecTV problem. I checked out the bit-rate of the program and found it to be 14-16 Mb/s, so there wasn't any problem on the DirecTV side as it was coming through at 7 Mb/s.

Not having a connection faster than 11ish Mb/s, I can't tell if DirecTV ever goes any higher.

It just seems 99% of the time it isn't DirecTV that's the problem.

Sure anyone can have a server problem, so that's the 1% and maybe if the program is "hot" everyone is trying to watch it at the same time. 

Since moving from 5mbps DSL to Cable 15mbps I have had almost zero issues as well (with all streaming services -- Netflix, Amazon, VUDU -- not just DTV). 

I thought most new releases were "pre-downloaded" to your DVR? 

I had tried to watch Zero Dark Thirty on same night and it took > 6 hours (at least) to DL the movie.  My internet speeds were w/in expected range that night.  My only conclusion is that there was issue on DTV end.  Even with higher encoding rate, shouldn't take 6+ hours for 2 hour movie.

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#57 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Once again I wonder where you get this.

I read this and went to my Genie, pulled up Game Of Thrones and clicked on "watch now". It started right up and after 5 mins had 5 mins showing in my playlist.

Just tried the most recent episode of GoT... selected Watch Now, it began loading, started playing and at 5 minutes in was at 5 minutes on the progress bar.

My very disproportionate speed tests...

5942.png

2662356643.png

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#58 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I had tried to watch Zero Dark Thirty on same night and it took > 6 hours (at least) to DL the movie.  My internet speeds were w/in expected range that night.  My only conclusion is that there was issue on DTV end.  Even with higher encoding rate, shouldn't take 6+ hours for 2 hour movie.

I agree and am not trying to suggest everything is perfect. Any server can get swamped. 

A.K.A VOS

#59 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Re: My post above "Shameless" downloaded this morning at 10:10

41% at 30minutes, so it's a little less than 1:1. A little better than last week. Router reports 4.5-5 Mbps

82% at 60 minutes. Pretty linear.

100% at 75 minutes.

Everyone needs to remember that the speedtests typically default to a nearby server (particularly speedtest.net). While you can change that location, I doubt the destination server is serving up video streams to hundreds of users.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#60 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I had an issue with same movie on same night.  I think it must have been issue on their end.

I am surprised this title wasn't "pre-downloaded" to my Genie -- I thought most new releases were?

I was surprised that this one wasn't preloaded as well.  I think it had been out a couple of weeks, maybe that is why.

Anyway, I'm just going to attribute the issue to a one-off technical issue.

But I will add, if it was a server load issue, it is something that Directv needs to correct in the future.  Why would I bother with Directv's PPV if I cannot count on it always working, especially when the alternatives ie Vudu, Amazon, Apple are usually $1 cheaper and, in my experience, never have issues?

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

spam firewall