Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

21-24 Mbps not enough bandwidth to stream On Demand!?!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Re: My post above "Shameless" downloaded this morning at 10:10

41% at 30minutes, so it's a little less than 1:1. A little better than last week. Router reports 4.5-5 Mbps

82% at 60 minutes. Pretty linear.

100% at 75 minutes.

Everyone needs to remember that the speedtests typically default to a nearby server (particularly speedtest.net). While you can change that location, I doubt the destination server is serving up video streams to hundreds of users.

You bring up a good point.

I read your post and checked Shameless and had 1:1.

Here are a few Speedtest results:

2662471181.png

2662474921.png

2662479383.png

Not every server/location will give the same results.

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

But I will add, if it was a server load issue, it is something that Directv needs to correct in the future.  Why would I bother with Directv's PPV if I cannot count on it always working, especially when the alternatives ie Vudu, Amazon, Apple are usually $1 cheaper and, in my experience, never have issues?

What are the bit-rates of those alternatives?

"Most" streaming services scale the bit-rates [down] for streaming, which DirecTV doesn't.

A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,789 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone know what Directv's streaming architecture is like? Is everything streamed from their LA office or do they have a distributed system using Akamai or similar? If no one knows for sure, we could find out via people who live in various places around the country streaming something from them and checking the NAT table on their router to see where the endpoint of the connection is.

If everything goes through LA, then people on the east coast are always going to have more problems than people who live closer to LA - unless they have a mirror datacenter out east, in which case the people who live in the central US are most likely to have problems. The further you are from the server you're streaming from, the more chance there is of a problem along the path. Latency doesn't matter for streaming, but larger latency does magnify the effect of any dropped packets.

If everyone is having problems all at the same time no matter where they are located, for instance if a bunch of people all report problems streaming from Directv at 11 PM EDT this Friday, then we can conclude it is a problem on Directv's end, which they can fix by adding more servers and/or more bandwidth to the outside.

When you read about Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft continually building big datacenters in various places around the country and around the world, a lot of it is for this reason - get their content closer to the customer. Directv can't afford to do something like that, so they'd likely use a content delivery network like Akamai or Level3.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#64 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,820 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Either the planets are aligned better or something got fixed. Just started another download and with the progress bar at :03 the load is already at the first tick ~15.

Edit: Finished 1 hour download at 0:20.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#65 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Does anyone know what Directv's streaming architecture is like? Is everything streamed from their LA office or do they have a distributed system using Akamai or similar? If no one knows for sure, we could find out via people who live in various places around the country streaming something from them and checking the NAT table on their router to see where the endpoint of the connection is.

I'm not 100% sure about VoD, but on the iPad app using fiddler2 as a proxy to try to see how streaming works (like why does it only work wihtin the home)... the IP's it connects to belong to Limelight Networks.  It's been awhile since I analyzed it so maybe if I get time I'll try again.  Will have to see if I can put a proxy server in the HR24's advanced network setup.

It would make more sense for DirecTV to lease a CDN and use the distributed archetecture and expertise of a media streaming content delivery provider.  Hosting everything in one or two data centers isn't just bad for speed, but redundancy as well.

It's about 1:1 download here too.  That would likely be the MINIMUM requirement for VOD, but if you want any forward trick play, 2:1 would be a better start.

Edited by cypherx, 22 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#66 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Every time I try to watch an On Demand HD movie I get a message saying my download speed isn't fast enough to stream and do I want to just download the movie for later viewing. How much bandwidth do you need to stream? I can download a movie by bit torrent in less time than it takes to download an On Demand movie. How many people even have 21 Mbps? If that ain't enough, then very few people can watch streaming On Demand.

Your thoughts, please.

After your post, I plugged a HR34 into a 10Mbps cable modem backup isp connection (that does NOT exceed 10Mbps) and watched a Showtime HD OnDemand program (channel 1545) with no issues whatsoever. As thus, to answer your original question, 21-24 Mbps is plenty of bandwidth for OnDemand viewing.

Obviously, if you or a family member is running a bunch of torrents (or perhaps your neighborhood is bandwidth starved), those could be killing your speed. But regardless, that is not a problem on D*'s end.

#67 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Like most, I thought it was a DirecTV problem. I checked out the bit-rate of the program and found it to be 14-16 Mb/s

How does one check this without direct access to the recorded program on the hard drive moved over to a computer?

#68 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

How does one check this without direct access to the recorded program on the hard drive moved over to a computer?

Setup a proxy or actually a lot of routers (or even ones loaded with dd-wrt or tomato) can graph in realtime bandwidth usage.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Setup a proxy or actually a lot of routers (or even ones loaded with dd-wrt or tomato) can graph in realtime bandwidth usage.

This was how I did it. Monitoring port activity while either downloading and/or streaming a recording with DirecTV2PC can give a good idea of the bit-rates. 

A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

As of last summer at least, everything was stored by DirecTV themselves.

#71 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

This was how I did it. Monitoring port activity while either downloading and/or streaming a recording with DirecTV2PC can give a good idea of the bit-rates. 

I know for a fact the bitrate for the majority of VOD providers is lower than what one sees on their linear distribution channels. So, for example, if Starz had a max of 14.0 Mbps on their linear distribution, the VOD has a bitrate lower than 14.0Mbps.  As thus, the 14Mbps-16Mbps bitrate in the original post is somewhat of a head scratcher, which is why I asked how you were measuring it. Clearly there is some overhead being created if you are seeing 14Mbps-16Mbps on a router - as opposed to the pure stream.

#72 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is what I get from both BBR and Speed test.  I got the "play now" error message one time.

2663077356.png

32850.png

Edited by machavez00, 22 April 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I know for a fact the bitrate for the majority of VOD providers is lower than what one sees on their linear distribution channels. So, for example, if Starz had a max of 14.0 Mbps on their linear distribution, the VOD has a bitrate lower than 14.0Mbps.  As thus, the 14Mbps-16Mbps bitrate in the original post is somewhat of a head scratcher, which is why I asked how you were measuring it. Clearly there is some overhead being created if you are seeing 14Mbps-16Mbps on a router - as opposed to the pure stream.

This was a concert off of the audience channel.

As I said, it downloaded at about 7 Mb/s, which took twice as long as the recording time. Streaming it to my PC showed both ports [from the DVR and to the PC] were very close and in the 14+ Mb/s range, with samples being about a min between updates, which tends to give a better result for MPEG-4 and the bit-rates vary so much.

I've checked some Starz programs as I'd stacked several to record and their times were faster than 1:1 for HD. These showed bit-rates in the 5 Mb/s range.  

A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

What are the bit-rates of those alternatives?

"Most" streaming services scale the bit-rates [down] for streaming, which DirecTV doesn't.

Don't know the bit rates and don't really care.  The picture looks good and streams instantly, that is my primary concern.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#75 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I watched curb your enthusiasm via HBOGo on Xbox 360. I didn't realize HBOGo now carries 5.1 surround sound now. When it first came out it didn't. Anyway, I think the Xbox started the playback faster then the HR24. Though the picture was pretty good, it was a little softer on Xbox compared to the HR24. Trick play is much easier to accomplish on the Xbox. So is finding content and the smooth, rich fluid graphics on the Xbox.

I can tell the Xbox is adaptive streaming. A few instances the picture softened up as if there was bandwidth degradation. However it never skipped or stopped playing at all. It's all a trade off.
  • mckeemike505 likes this

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#76 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Actually my VOD isn't working now. It says there was a problem connecting to the Internet: fix now, continue later. Continue later just takes you back to live TV. Fix now takes you to the system test screen. In the playlist it just says pending download. After sometime it said "there was a problem connecting to DirecTV. Retry in progress (85) (ok).

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#77 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Since coming back to DTV, and being hard wired to my internet, the OD is the one thing I'm a bit disappointed in.  I've got 20 mb speed, and have to plan ahead if I want to watch any OD programming.

HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#78 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

Actually my VOD isn't working now. It says there was a problem connecting to the Internet: fix now, continue later. Continue later just takes you back to live TV. Fix now takes you to the system test screen. In the playlist it just says pending download. After sometime it said "there was a problem connecting to DirecTV. Retry in progress (85) (ok).

Update It fixed itself late last night. 

Needless to say there are strange anomolies from time to time.  Generally it works though.

• mckeemike505 likes this

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#79 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Don't know the bit rates and don't really care.  The picture looks good and streams instantly, that is my primary concern.

Have to agree with this.  Stuff on Vudu looks very very good to my eye and streaming works w/o buffering. 

There seems to be some intelligent discussion about various bitrates of the streaming services here http://www.avsforum....eaming-bitrates

Edited by grecorj, 23 April 2013 - 07:41 AM.

HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#80 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, ok, fellow Yankee fan. Is it illegal for the music industry to charge me for 3 vinyl albums, a cassette, and a CD of the same albums because the technology changes or the vinyl wears out or the tape snaps or the CD glue comes unstuck?

If I've purchased an album 5 times I don't feel any guilt in downloading the songs for free in mp3 form. And I don't feel guilty about dl'ing a movie which in almost every case sucks these days, which also explains why I only do about 2 or 3 movies a year at most and sleep through most of them. And if they don't want me to even do that, then tell Blu Ray player manufacturers not to include USB ports on their players and TV's that are put there for the express purpose of being to play video from a source other than a BluRay disc..

Here in the great Midwest our library carries a huge selection of movies/music that are available for "free" (paid for by property taxes). Hypothetically, I can stick a disk in my car, it's ripped onto the HDD. Hypothetically I can then copy it (because I have paid for it through taxes) for backup in case of a HDD failure. Hypothetically, movies can be copied for later viewing, not distribution.

It's a loose interpretation of the law, but so what.
D*tv'er since the beginning...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...