Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

21-24 Mbps not enough bandwidth to stream On Demand!?!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Well mine is still perfectly acceptable AFTER I reset everything. Before that, forgetaboutit!

I tried the watch now and it worked, although it buffered, but just for ten seconds, then the rest of it played all the way through.......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,985 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well mine is still perfectly acceptable AFTER I reset everything. Before that, forgetaboutit!

I tried the watch now and it worked, although it buffered, but just for ten seconds, then the rest of it played all the way through.....

Just to be clear to others, this "reset everything" was ONLY resetting the network settings and NOT a receiver reset everything that wipes out the recordings.

I've gone through so many [local] network [re-]configurations, that restoring network defaults is all most my first step. :lol: 

A.K.A VOS

#123 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just to be clear to others, this "reset everything" was ONLY resetting the network settings and NOT a receiver reset everything that wipes out the recordings.

I've gone through so many [local] network [re-]configurations, that restoring network defaults is all most my first step. :lol:

I resetting the network settings tonight to see if I can get my Watch Now back on my HR34.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#124 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Restoring network defaults did not work for me.  HR34 still inexplicably claims my internet connection is too slow for Watch Now.  

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#125 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

I don't know. I remember back when I had a Belkin router, it did not like the directv receivers at all, I tried EVERYTHING and Youtube wouldn't work even though I had an internet connection to the receiver..........A few months ago I upgraded to a Netgear WDNR4500 and there is never an issue with my internet working with the D* receivers (until I tried on demand)..........All I did, (using the remote) was settings,network (restore defaults) the reset up network (it said "congrats, you're receiver is connected to the internet), I then went to network services, set that up and the first two times it wouldn't connect, then the third try it connected successfully........ I hear network services has nothing to do with anything, but I stil wanted to set it up and connect just to make sure.

That's all I did..............before doing this, the 43 min on demand show from HGTV took 7 to 8 hours to download...........After that, it is taking 30 to 40 minutes.

I didn't reboot the receiver because prior to doing the steps above, I had rebooted receiver anyway.

And in addition to this, the bedroom and the office receivers (an HR21 and and HR24) both do on demand just fine without me having to reconfig anything........

I wonder if it has something to do with some peoples' routers

#126 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Just a question for people with issues - have you checked your router's QOS (quality of service) settings?

This might help:  http://www.howtogeek...on-your-router/

DirecTV customer since 1996

#127 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

From what I've read about QOS on home routers - even with dd-wrt or Tomato, it's pretty useless.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#128 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

From what I've read about QOS on home routers - even with dd-wrt or Tomato, it's pretty useless.

Yes, unfortunately that is the case. None of them implement it at all properly, so it reduces overall performance if you enable it except in very specific circumstances. The biggest problem though is that it only works on your end of the link. Typically the problem you want to solve isn't prioritizing the data you are sending (which is all the router's QoS can do) but the data you're receiving. There is limited control exercised by holding back ACKs or reducing TCP window size on the connections you want at a lower priority, but it is mostly pointless without cooperation from the other end.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#129 OFFLINE   mattnboise

mattnboise

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

Does anyone know what Directv's streaming architecture is like? Is everything streamed from their LA office or do they have a distributed system using Akamai or similar? If no one knows for sure, we could find out via people who live in various places around the country streaming something from them and checking the NAT table on their router to see where the endpoint of the connection is.

If everything goes through LA, then people on the east coast are always going to have more problems than people who live closer to LA - unless they have a mirror datacenter out east, in which case the people who live in the central US are most likely to have problems. The further you are from the server you're streaming from, the more chance there is of a problem along the path. Latency doesn't matter for streaming, but larger latency does magnify the effect of any dropped packets.

If everyone is having problems all at the same time no matter where they are located, for instance if a bunch of people all report problems streaming from Directv at 11 PM EDT this Friday, then we can conclude it is a problem on Directv's end, which they can fix by adding more servers and/or more bandwidth to the outside.

When you read about Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft continually building big datacenters in various places around the country and around the world, a lot of it is for this reason - get their content closer to the customer. Directv can't afford to do something like that, so they'd likely use a content delivery network like Akamai or Level3.

From my vantage point I can see many 10G ports spread around the country and they also colocate equipment in our datacenters.

I know that they have similar setups with other Teir 1 providers.

#130 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

I have QOS disabled in my router settings. In fact, I think it's disabled by default.

Edited by mark40511, 02 June 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#131 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,985 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I've had a chance to try OnDemand while staying with a friend and found some different results.

The ISP service is 50 Mb/s, yet Cinemax has been very troublesome.

Watch Now keeps running out of buffer and going to the download [1080 verses the 720p] has taken much longer. With U-Verse it would "only" take twice as long [1 hour show took 2 hours], but with this cable service it's taking closer to 3 hours.

With all this bandwidth, and more than one DVR, I started downloading two at the same time.

To my surprise, the other DVR is downloading much faster.

Both are on the same coax network with a CCK hardwired to the router.

The HR24 only has 9 mins of recording after 26 mins, while the HR21 has 41 mins after 36 mins.

If you've got the bandwidth and more than one DVR, you might want to check to see if your slow OnDemand is the same.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...