Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Every EPL game to be on NBC family starting next season

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I know people were wondering about what NBC's plans were for the EPL but now we know.

http://sports.yahoo....15355--sow.html

Hopefully D* will pick up this extra package of games since there's not much going on at 10am ET Saturdays.  I am surprised that every single EPL game will now be available here.

Edited by lokar, 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

What do you mean by hoping DIRECTV picks up the package? We already get all the channels, although I'm not sure about Mun2.

Edit: Oops, I glanced past this...

In addition, NBC is making available free to all carriers of NBC Sports Network a package of every EPL game played at 10 a.m. ET on Saturdays - the primary starting time in the Premier League. Called Premier League Extra Time, it is similar to DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket.

Edited by sigma1914, 16 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

sigma, he means the extra channels that NBC will make available to all providers, which will show all EPL games live - that's in addition to the games on the NBC networks:

"Games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors via Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network;"

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,134 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

What do you mean by hoping DIRECTV picks up the package? We already get all the channels, although I'm not sure about Mun2.

Mun2 is available with Xtra or higher on channel 410, however you need a dish capable of receiving 119 to get it. They'll only have Spanish language games though. As of now mun2 doesn't have an HD feed, so it seems Spanish HD coverage will be limited to the 10 games Telemundo has, if your local Telemundo station is available in HD.

Edited by KyL416, 16 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Good stuff. I was glad when NBC got the rights to the games as they have a bunch of channels to show the matches. Hopefully they don't require a $15 a month channel like Fox did with FSCP. 

#6 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Good stuff. I was glad when NBC got the rights to the games as they have a bunch of channels to show the matches. Hopefully they don't require a $15 a month channel like Fox did with FSCP. 

Doesn't look like it. Looks like only using existing channels plus adding a package of extra channels for the games that extra beyond that, which they are including for free to customers who get nbc sports network.

• mrro82 likes this

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#7 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

well 1 game will be on Esquire (G4) on the final matchday. Guess we will miss that. Prob gonna have low key teams though.

#8 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

I would not be surprised that in order to broadcast the "overflow" games on "Premier League Extra Time" DTV must sign an authorizing agreement to provide NBC Sports Live Extra.  I hope this doesn't become an issue....

Fog,

That is not what the announcement indicated. It clearly stated:

"Games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors via Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network;"

I'm guessing DirecTV will make these overflow channels available, since we probably will not have access to NBC Sports Live Extra's streaming.

Cheers,

cmasia

#9 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Lets hope those of us with Mas Ultra get NBC Sports Network by August.  

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm really liking the concept. I hope I like the concept as much when it actually rolls out in August. It's Comcastic!

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

This is not a done deal!  Here is the response I received from DTV regarding my inquiry on DTV carrying the Premier League Extra Time package:

"Thank you for writing in. I can understand your excitement for this new package announced by NBC. I'm happy to address your concern.

At this time, DIRECTV does not have any announcement about this new package. This looks like an exciting new addition to the available sports lineup for Soccer fans and I assure you we will work with NBC to provide the best service to our mutual customers. Please check back with us closer to the start of the new season for more information about this new content."

This type of response always concerns me.  Based on the NBC release this should be a "no brainer."  The DTV response falls short of that.

Time to pressure DTV to ensure they carry the package.

no Pressure comcast / nbc to stop messing around.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

If some don't think that they will get a nice charge on their bills to see these extra matches...just wait, IMO

I see no reason they won't require a $15 per month package

#13 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

If some don't think that they will get a nice charge on their bills to see these extra matches...just wait, IMO
I see no reason they won't require a $15 per month package

People pay for Foxsoccer Plus so I would assume fans would happily pay to see the team they want.. I pay for the MLS Direct Kick and have no interest in paying for this but see no problem charging for it. Curious of what happens to the plus programming though...

#14 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

People pay for Foxsoccer Plus so I would assume fans would happily pay to see the team they want.. I pay for the MLS Direct Kick and have no interest in paying for this but see no problem charging for it. Curious of what happens to the plus programming though...

People did pay but I never thought that it ever got even remotely as many subscribers as I think Fox wanted

#15 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

You also have to have the streaming package to get "every game live".  We will see if DTV will be a part of that.  Right now, only 4 providers have announced they are part of that.

#16 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

You also have to have the streaming package to get "every game live".  We will see if DTV will be a part of that.  Right now, only 4 providers have announced they are part of that.

For the second time in this thread...

That is not what NBC's press release said. They clearly stated:

OVERFLOW TELEVISION CHANNELS AVAILABLE AT NO EXTRA COST.

I will be very surprised if D* does not make these games available, as NBC is not charging for their carriage.

Also, it will be less complicated and probably less costly for D* to just offer those games in the 480's, than it would be to develop the infrastructure necessary ( subscriber authentication, passwords, etc, etc. ) for it's customers to access the streaming feeds.

Fog627 wrote about his communication with D* about Premier League Extra Time. I am not surprised they had no definitive answer for him. NBC only announced their plans 24 hours before.

And before people start bashing me as a fan boy, trust me, if they do not offer these matches, I'll be the first to jump down their throats.

#17 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

My 2 cents: So far, Directv has carried all the additional channels NBC has made available during the Summer and Olympic games. Bandwidth isn't an issue on Saturday mornings, except during The Masters and the tennis US Open - and we are only talking about 2 Saturdays during the entire EPL season. NBC has said the overflow channels would be available at no cost to NBC Sports Network customers. 

The only way that I can see Directv not carrying the overflow channels is if Directv has a channel dispute with Comcast about the actual NBC Sports Network. Short of that, I'd expect the channels to be available and I'm really looking forward to the 13/14 EPL season!

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#18 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

For the second time in this thread...

That is not what NBC's press release said. They clearly stated:

OVERFLOW TELEVISION CHANNELS AVAILABLE AT NO EXTRA COST.

I will be very surprised if D* does not make these games available, as NBC is not charging for their carriage.

Also, it will be less complicated and probably less costly for D* to just offer those games in the 480's, than it would be to develop the infrastructure necessary ( subscriber authentication, passwords, etc, etc. ) for it's customers to access the streaming feeds.

Fog627 wrote about his communication with D* about Premier League Extra Time. I am not surprised they had no definitive answer for him. NBC only announced their plans 24 hours before.

And before people start bashing me as a fan boy, trust me, if they do not offer these matches, I'll be the first to jump down their throats.

Extra Time is in play during the Saturday 10am ET window, only.  Re-read the link in the OP.  Most likely there will be live broadcasts only available via streaming, depending upon the package one subscribes to and the placing of some games on Spanish language channels only.

#19 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Extra Time is in play during the Saturday 10am ET window, only.  Re-read the link in the OP.  Most likely there will be live broadcasts only available via streaming, depending upon the package one subscribes to and the placing of some games on Spanish language channels only.

With all due respect, the 10:00AM Saturday window is the ONLY window each week - with 2 exceptions -  there is more than one game being played at any given time. On any given Saturday, there are anywhere from 3 to 7 matches being played in that window.

Exception 1 is the rare Sunday where games originally scheduled on Saturday are moved to accommodate clubs playing in European competition the previous Wednesday or Thursday.

Exception 2 is the rare mid week ( Tuesday and Wednesday ) schedule of fixtures. There were 2 this season.

Also, read this press release from NBC:

http://tvbythenumber...g-plans/178169/

It shows the following matches televised:

NBC: 20

NBCSN: 154

Premier League Extra Time: 184

Other NBCU Channels: 22

It is no surprise that adds up to 380, the exact number of BPL matches played in a season.

The 76 games in Spanish will NOT be exclusively in Spanish.

So even with the 2 scheduling exceptions noted above, EVERY match will be available on a television channel.

Cheers,

cmasia

Edited by cmasia, 23 April 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

With all due respect, the 10:00AM Saturday window is the ONLY window each week - with 2 exceptions -  there is more than one game being played at any given time. On any given Saturday, there are anywhere from 3 to 7 matches being played in that window.

Exception 1 is the rare Sunday where games originally scheduled on Saturday are moved to accommodate clubs playing in European competition the previous Wednesday or Thursday.

Exception 2 is the rare mid week ( Tuesday and Wednesday ) schedule of fixtures. There were 2 this season.

Also, read this press release from NBC:

http://tvbythenumber...g-plans/178169/

It shows the following matches televised:

NBC: 20

NBCSN: 154

Premier League Extra Time: 184

Other NBCU Channels: 22

It is no surprise that adds up to 380, the exact number of BPL matches played in a season.

The 76 games in Spanish will NOT be exclusively in Spanish.

So even with the 2 scheduling exceptions noted above, EVERY match will be available on a television channel.

Cheers,

cmasia

No doubt, but not everyone will have access to all of the channels utilized, hence the need for the live streaming option.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...