Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Every EPL game to be on NBC family starting next season

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

My 2 cents: So far, Directv has carried all the additional channels NBC has made available during the Summer and Olympic games. Bandwidth isn't an issue on Saturday mornings, except during The Masters and the tennis US Open - and we are only talking about 2 Saturdays during the entire EPL season. NBC has said the overflow channels would be available at no cost to NBC Sports Network customers. 

The only way that I can see Directv not carrying the overflow channels is if Directv has a channel dispute with Comcast about the actual NBC Sports Network. Short of that, I'd expect the channels to be available and I'm really looking forward to the 13/14 EPL season!

Will they be in HD??? comcast systems don't have a lot room for part time HD channels.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

No doubt, but not everyone will have access to all of the channels utilized, hence the need for the live streaming option.

I give up...

If you have Xtra or higher, necessary to get NBCSN, there is not one NBCU channel you won't get in order to see the 22 out of 380 games not on NBC, NBCSN, and PLET.

If you're not willing to pay for Xtra or higher, you're probably not interested in the BPL anyway.

PS to JTD: I'm guessing all the feeds imported by NBC will be HD. It will be up to each provider to determine their HD delivery capability for PLET.

On another note, I had earlier guessed Universal Sports would get a bunch of these games. Apparently, I guessed wrong. I wonder if the reason is NBCU's minority stake in that network.

#23 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

If DTV doesn't offer the whole NBC package, they will lose me as a 13year customer

#24 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have to jump back into the morass of D* permutations, now. If I can get most of what I watch from the NBC pkg + BEin, I can dump the useless Sports Pack.

EDIT: Even though I'll miss what beIN offers, I can't continue to buy the Sports Pack just for one channel. In fact prices are high enough now for me to drop almost everything but my grandfathered package.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 12 May 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Why does D* seem reluctant to add these streaming options ala the ESPN IPad app? I'm pretty sure FiOS was not renegotiating a contract with Comcast and still found a way to give the NBC Sports app to their customers. Makes me wonder what more there is to it.

Edited by fireponcoal, 24 April 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Why does D* seem reluctant to add these streaming options ala the ESPN IPad app? I'm pretty sure FiOS was not renegotiating a contract and found a way to give the option to their customers when it came to NBC and its app. Makes me wonder what more there is to it.

It's not D*, it's ESPN/Disney who refuses to negotiate the rights to the app outside of the renewal period. As for FiOS and NBC Sports Extra, they recently renewed their deal with Comcast.

#27 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I give up...

If you have Xtra or higher, necessary to get NBCSN, there is not one NBCU channel you won't get in order to see the 22 out of 380 games not on NBC, NBCSN, and PLET.

If you're not willing to pay for Xtra or higher, you're probably not interested in the BPL anyway.

PS to JTD: I'm guessing all the feeds imported by NBC will be HD. It will be up to each provider to determine their HD delivery capability for PLET.

On another note, I had earlier guessed Universal Sports would get a bunch of these games. Apparently, I guessed wrong. I wonder if the reason is NBCU's minority stake in that network.

I live in San Diego. I have the Premiere package.  Our local Telemundo affiliate, XHAS TV 33, is NOT carried by D*.  Can you guarantee that every game broadcast on Telemundo will be simulcast, in English, elsewhere on the NBCU platform?  A fair question that I hope doesn't exasperate you too terribly, oh impatient knower of all things.

#28 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Read the press release:
http://www.nbcumv.co...66126682895.xml

The count they list for their English Networks:
NBC: 20
NBC Sports Network: 154
Premier League Extra Time: 184
Other NBCU Channels (The release names CNBC and USA as the other channels): 22

Add it up = 380 games, the exact number of games in the season

#29 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Read the press release:
http://www.nbcumv.co...66126682895.xml

The count they list for their English Networks:
NBC: 20
NBC Sports Network: 154
Premier League Extra Time: 184
Other NBCU Channels (The release names CNBC and USA as the other channels): 22

Add it up = 380 games, the exact number of games in the season

Thank you.

#30 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thank you.

I'm glad you're thankful for KyL416's post, but I'm curious why you didn't either read or believe post #23 above, even though you quoted it in your reply in post #24.

And you are correct, I do get exasperated by people who raise unfounded concerns while choosing not to read the NBC press releases that fully address those concerns. 

Hope all is well.

cmasia

Impatient? Yes

Knower of all things? Not even close!

#31 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have deleted all of my posts on the subject.  It is pretty obvious that no other posts matter as @cmasia is of the opinion that we are all penguins and he will continue to regurgitate the same old stuff until we swallow it.

• noahproblem likes this

photo.jpg                NBC-Premier-Feature-300x150.jpg                      mzl.qyoyojll.100x100-75.png

Pac-12 Network...please                        Premier League Extra Time...please                            NBC Sports Live Extra...please

#32 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm glad you're thankful for KyL416's post, but I'm curious why you didn't either read or believe post #23 above, even though you quoted it in your reply in post #24.

And you are correct, I do get exasperated by people who raise unfounded concerns while choosing not to read the NBC press releases that fully address those concerns. 

Hope all is well.

cmasia

Impatient? Yes

Knower of all things? Not even close!

Um, maybe because he answered my question, while you just pontificated?  

• noahproblem likes this

#33 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I have to jump back into the morass of D* permutations, now. If I can get most of what I watch from the NBC pkg + BEin, I can dump the useless Sports Pack.

This is exactly my plan.....I currently have the xtra package, so what would I NOT be getting next year if I drop the sports package? (I only watch soccer).
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

#34 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

In other news, the NBC Sports app which will have the EPL games next season is now available to Dish Network customers. So it’s just those of us with DirecTV ( the leader in sports or so we are told) who are on the outside looking in.

#35 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

In other news, the NBC Sports app which will have the EPL games next season is now available to Dish Network customers. So it’s just those of us with DirecTV ( the leader in sports or so we are told) who are on the outside looking in.

Next season hasn't even started yet. I'm sure DirecTV will get it too. 

#36 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Next season hasn't even started yet. I'm sure DirecTV will get it too. 

FYI, The Dish Network also has the Pac-12 Network.  Our beloved DirecTV is lacking there, also.  I would not count on DirecTV providing either the NBC Sports Live Extra on-line app or the Premier League Extra Time package.  Should they...yes.  Does all logic say they will...yes.  WILL THEY?  Who knows?  Certainly not anyone on this thread...regardless of what they say.

Everyone can and has read NBC's rhetoric.  We got the same rhetoric last year from the Pac-12 Network.

Don't assume anything...don't take anything for granted.  We did that with the Pac-12 Network.  Look at what it got us.  NOTHING.

Until DirecTV says they will carry something, anything else is pure speculation.  All we can do it hope and continue to let DirecTV know the importance of these programs to us. 

And, yes...everything has its cost...regardless of what the rhetoric states.

• noahproblem likes this

photo.jpg                NBC-Premier-Feature-300x150.jpg                      mzl.qyoyojll.100x100-75.png

Pac-12 Network...please                        Premier League Extra Time...please                            NBC Sports Live Extra...please

#37 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

It's obviously all speculation at this point but D*'s carrying of the extra EPL games has nothing to do with the Pac 12 network.  I would expect D* to carry all the EPL games because they have carried all the extra UEFA and Europa League group stage games in the past and these extra EPL games are being provided for free according to NBC.

#38 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

Looks like a deal for TV Everywhere is pending between NBC and D*:

The NBC Sports Group has not reached TV Everywhere deals with all cable and satellite distributors, but Lazarus expects deals with AT&T, Cox, Charter, and DIRECTV to be completed shortly. -

See more at: http://sportsvideo.o...h.vgq3aG6v.dpuf

#39 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Looks like a deal for TV Everywhere is pending between NBC and D*:

The NBC Sports Group has not reached TV Everywhere deals with all cable and satellite distributors, but Lazarus expects deals with AT&T, Cox, Charter, and DIRECTV to be completed shortly. - [/size]
See more at: http://sportsvideo.o...h.vgq3aG6v.dpuf[/size]

I've been watching the list of TV providers for the NBC Sports LiveExtra app grow over the last few weeks but still no DirecTV. The comment from NBC that they expect a deal to be done soon is encouraging, but keep in mind that NBC is now a Comcast company. And lest we all forget DirecTV and Comcast had a long and nasty contract dispute over carriage of the NBC Sports
Network when it was called Versus. All this to say I'm taking nothing for granted here and I'm not holding my breath that DirecTV will have either the app or all the channels necessary to see all the EPL games next season.

#40 OFFLINE   mjc1027

mjc1027

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLansing, Michigan

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

I really hope NBC and DTV can reach an agreement, the possibility of having the Extra Time and NBC Sports Extra available would be a deal clincher for me...as I live in rural Michigan....not alot of options here for watching the beautiful game.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...