Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Improvements to the Protection Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I received an e-mail from DIRECTV today, stating that effective May 16,2013, the price / fee of the Protection Plan will increase $2. That will make it $7.99.

The e-mail went on to state that two new benefits have been added to the plan.

1. Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge.

2. Unintentional and Accidental Damage from Handling ( ADH ) of the DIRECTV System.

This offer requires a renewed 24 month agreement. 

I was curious if anyone else on here received this e-mail recently. 

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

A 24 month renewed agreement for the new equipment or you are stuck with the protection plan for another 24 months?

In the past, you could cancel the protection plan anytime you wanted but if you received anything from the plan you could be charged for it (like a service call) if you did.

A "free equipment upgrade" every two years is no deal.  You can generally get DirecTV to do this for free just to lock you in for another 2 years.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Yes, I got the same email and was not happy with the increase. I may consider dropping the protection plan. I'm also curious what kind of equipment upgrade it would be? We currently have 2 HD DVRs and are happy with those. We don't want a whole home DVR. What else could they upgrade?

#4 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

I don't think there is anything. I don't think the upgrade would be something like replacing an HR21 with a 24. It's upgrading class, receiver to DVR, DVR to genie, sd to HD etc.

If it were within the same class I'd have it just to get an hr44.

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes, I got the same email and was not happy with the increase. I may consider dropping the protection plan. I'm also curious what kind of equipment upgrade it would be? We currently have 2 HD DVRs and are happy with those. We don't want a whole home DVR. What else could they upgrade?

That was the question I had as well.  I've got three HR20's, an HR22, and an HR21 just died and I received an HR23 to replace that (hooking that one up tonight).

Does this mean I may be able to upgrade my HR20's to HR24s?  Given the fact in the past they cannot guarantee on a 'dead receiver replacement', for instance, that you will get a particular model, just an HR2x, what would the 'equipment upgrade' clause mean to someone who only has HD DVRs right now?

#6 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

just fyi, and this has been posted here before, DirecTV's definition of an upgrade is not what you would typically think. It basically means replacing your receiver with another type. Going from a HD DVR to a DVR could be considered an upgrade if that is what the customer wants. Also for those saying they are going to cancel the pplan you had to of had it for 1yr or be subject to a 10.00 early disconnect fee. The advantages of having it are plenty why not keep it?

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Why not keep it?

A 33% increase and Its $96/year now. 

Compare it to your monthly bill for a year. Look at the % and decide if the insurance is worth it.

Compare to AAA road service, your car insurance, your homeowners insurance and life insurance.

What is the % you pay vs. the risk and value.

Each person will have their own view.

#8 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

[/quote]

I suppose I'm ahead of the game. 192 months without the plan and had my first $49.00 service call for a bad LNB last month.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

I have had this for some time (I think we piloted in Texas??).  I can tell you that my first "2yr upgrade" was "upgrading" my H24 to an HR21.  Needless to say the HR21 is not the speediest thing on the planet, but the H24 was initially free and now the HR21 was free so I didnt really complain too much.  Plus its in the bedroom where it is used more as 2 more tuners to record than anything else.

Either way, that is the kind of upgrade one can expect.

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#10 OFFLINE   Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

So I decided to downgrade my package in order to help offset the protection plan increase and the package increase from earlier in the year. I called to make sure downgrading my package would not affect my $10.00 for 24 months (free HD) credit. The customer service rep said that a downgrade would affect it but that she could give me an additional $10.00 credit for six months. I suppose I can look at it as my "equipment upgrade". I very rarely get any goodies like this from DirecTV so I'm glad I made the call.

Edited by Captain Spaulding, 16 April 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I have the PP and I received the email. At the moment, I'm not too upset because the other day I called CS to see if there was anything they could to to lower my bill ........It pays to be NICE and FRIENDLY because not only did she give me a 30 dollar credit on my current bill coming up, but she gave me 13 dollars off the next six months.......With that I cannot complain at all. :)

I do know if anything every happened to my 2 HR24's and they replaced them with an HR21, I'd just die because I hate the HR21's with a red hot purple pink passion.

#12 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

We have been told that policy is now that hr24 is replaced with hr24. Going from an h24 to a DVR does not offer such protections, or he did it before the policy change. This is assuming that the reports of the change are correct.

#13 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Would a HR24 for a 4 year old HR22 be considered an upgrade I wonder??

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#14 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Would a HR24 for a 4 year old HR22 be considered an upgrade I wonder??

No (well I mean you could tell them to upgrade your HR22 to another HD-DVR but you would very possibly and most likely get an HR21, HR22, HR23 etc).

An HR34 or HR44 for an HR22 would be considered an upgrade through the new Protection Plan.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#15 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

No.

#16 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Why not keep it?

A 33% increase and Its $96/year now. 

Compare it to your monthly bill for a year. Look at the % and decide if the insurance is worth it.

Compare to AAA road service, your car insurance, your homeowners insurance and life insurance.

What is the % you pay vs. the risk and value.

going to keep it, price increase is less then the cost of a single drink that I order when I am out to dinner, way less then the cost of a soda when I take the kids to a show or I upsize a meal from a local McChoke and Puke fast food restaurant.

Beside it is way less the 4th price increase in a little under a year for the sewer bill, it is averaging about 19 percent each quarter.

Have used the PP a number of times over the last 9 years for bad lnb's, squirrel chewed wiring, wind damage, replacement of a couple of dead dvr's (owned). Use my auto insurance less over the same time period and pay a heck of lot more for it.

But as mentioned, personal choice

#17 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

Got the e-mail too, but mine said that because I've had the PP for less than a year, that they would give me a $2 credit each month for 12 months, keeping the price at $5.99 for a year. 

#18 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Never quite understood the PP in the first place! I've never had it and probably never will but I just had an HR23 go out a few weeks ago. They sent me a replacement for I think $19 cost on my part. I just can't see wasting $8 a month for something that may only happen every few years. Now, if the $8 a month could guarantee my wife would get all her recordings back that would be worth it, just so I don't get all the grief for something I had nothing to do with! Lol.

#19 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

I am going to call today to try and get a free Genie. If they say "no", I will just drop the protection plan. I was on the fence at $6 per month but won't keep it at $8.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#20 ONLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

Never quite understood the PP in the first place! I've never had it and probably never will but I just had an HR23 go out a few weeks ago. They sent me a replacement for I think $19 cost on my part. I just can't see wasting $8 a month for something that may only happen every few years. Now, if the $8 a month could guarantee my wife would get all her recordings back that would be worth it, just so I don't get all the grief for something I had nothing to do with! Lol.

First time I had Directv - for about six years - I can't tell you how many times the PP saved me more than I spent on it. Between equipment - the early days of HD & DVRs - and dish realignments/issues (on the roof of a three story house with limited access) it was a worthy investment. Not for everybody though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...