Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Improvements to the Protection Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

So can someone explain to me.  I just got a Genie for the 2 yr agreement.  now i have a genie and 3 hd-dvrs.  once i get it, i will have no reason to keep my protection plan as they really wont be able to upgrade anything for me.  can i cancel the protection plan?  I have had it for 9 yrs and barely ever used it.

thanks.

If you added it more than 13 months ago then yes you can cancel it with no penalty.  The PP upgrades do not start until May 16 for everyone outside of Texas.  The PP upgrade will extend to other devices as well like the GenieGo.  Of course it still offers the protection it has for years and now includes accidental handling.  On the other hand as well, if they have a new receiver/device in 18-24 months(or after), you'd be able to upgrade to it at no charge.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

also,  why is everyone waiting until the 16th.  i just called now and got it free.  and wouldnt i be able to cancel the PP anytime now that i got it.  there are no real upgrades for me to use.

Unless you live in the beta state of grand ol' Texas, the PP plan offers nationwide start on May 16 as the date customers can call in and request upgrades. You just happend to qualify for a free upgrade outside the pplan offers. 

#143 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you added it more than 13 months ago then yes you can cancel it with no penalty.  The PP upgrades do not start until May 16 for everyone outside of Texas.  The PP upgrade will extend to other devices as well like the GenieGo.  Of course it still offers the protection it has for years and now includes accidental handling.  On the other hand as well, if they have a new receiver/device in 18-24 months(or after), you'd be able to upgrade to it at no charge.

so I can cancel at anytime and not get any fees or charges?  then why are people waiting until May 16th.  if they upgrade after May 16th,  can they also cancel at anytime? 

reason I ask, is because wont people just take the upgrades and then quit the PP.

#144 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Unless you live in the beta state of grand ol' Texas, the PP plan offers nationwide start on May 16 as the date customers can call in and request upgrades. You just happend to qualify for a free upgrade outside the pplan offers. 

okay thanks.  that's what I was wondering. 

#145 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

I keep reading "At no charge" There is no $$ charge but many people consider having to sign a two year commitment a "charge" so it's not exactly free. 

#146 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

so I can cancel at anytime and not get any fees or charges?  then why are people waiting until May 16th.  if they upgrade after May 16th,  can they also cancel at anytime? 

reason I ask, is because wont people just take the upgrades and then quit the PP.

You must have the PP being charged to the account for at least 18 months to get the upgrade.  You cancel the PP after that but you wouldn't be able to another upgrade for at least 18 months after you add it back.  Your loophole only works if you only 1 free upgrade for the rest of you time with D*.

I keep reading "At no charge" There is no $$ charge but many people consider having to sign a two year commitment a "charge" so it's not exactly free. 

The agreement makes sure D* doesn't invest $1500 on the customer and then they bail 4 months later and leave the company holding the bill.  The upgrade is free.  It does require an agreement but all upgrades do...

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#147 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

"$1500 investment" lol 

#148 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

You must have the PP being charged to the account for at least 18 months to get the upgrade.  You cancel the PP after that but you wouldn't be able to another upgrade for at least 18 months after you add it back.  Your loophole only works if you only 1 free upgrade for the rest of you time with D*.

So is there any harm in me cancelling the PP now that I have everything?  I think they offered me the Genie just because I have been with for so long.  I also have had PP for 9 yrs and never really used it.

#149 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

So is there any harm in me cancelling the PP now that I have everything?  I think they offered me the Genie just because I have been with for so long.  I also have had PP for 9 yrs and never really used it.

Call DirecTV to find out if there is any penalty for canceling the PP
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#150 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

So, I presently have a HR34, HR24 and HR22 (and the PP). I can't seem to figure out what "upgrade" I would quailfy for.

Only have 3 TV's so don't need another DVR. Any idea's??

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#151 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

So, I presently have a HR34, HR24 and HR22 (and the PP). I can't seem to figure out what "upgrade" I would quailfy for.

Only have 3 TV's so don't need another DVR. Any idea's??

I just got the notice about the cost going up on May 16th as well. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. There's really nothing that can be upgraded with my setup, so that aspect is not really worth an additional $2/month for me. I might be dropping the PP.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#152 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I own three of my four HRs and under the PP now when they fail and are replaced I will own the replacement unit.  If I understand the "upgrade enhancement" correctly that would not be the case in the future.  So, it seems in my best interest to simply wait for failures and receive new(er) equipment which I would still own.

Can anyone confirm that the replacement of failed owned equipment in the future will still be owned as it is now?

When news breaks...we fix it.

#153 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

What I can quite understand is D sez that an HR22 is the same as an HR24 (they are both DVR's), I understand that, that

they are both DVR's, but why then change the nrs (22 - 24) if they are not "upgrades". Because of the nrs, it makes me

think that an HR24 is an upgraded DVR to the HR22.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#154 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I own three of my four HRs and under the PP now when they fail and are replaced I will own the replacement unit.  If I understand the "upgrade enhancement" correctly that would not be the case in the future.  So, it seems in my best interest to simply wait for failures and receive new(er) equipment which I would still own.

Can anyone confirm that the replacement of failed owned equipment in the future will still be owned as it is now?

I actually called and asked that specific question. The answer I received was that an upgraded device would be a leased device.

Unless I hear differently...that's their story....and they appear to be sticking with it.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#155 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I actually called and asked that specific question. The answer I received was that an upgraded device would be a leased device.

Unless I hear differently...that's their story....and they appear to be sticking with it.

My question involves the replacement of a failing owned piece of equipment not just at "upgrade" under the PP.

#156 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

My question involves the replacement of a failing owned piece of equipment not just at "upgrade" under the PP.

A failed owned device under the protection plan will be replaced by a n owned replacement device - I was just told that this morning, as well as 3 other times the question was posed to DirecTV. It would be advantageous for you to e-mail them and get confirmation of it in writing.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#157 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

A failed owned device under the protection plan will be replaced by a n owned replacement device - I was just told that this morning, as well as 3 other times the question was posed to DirecTV. It would be advantageous for you to e-mail them and get confirmation of it in writing.

A young lady named Michelle in the A/C department just confirmed this.  Thanks for the heads up and the e-mail advice.  Where do you think one should send the e-mail?

#158 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

The question may be what you may want to get in the future.  Many people are talking about removing the PP after getting their upgrades but there is already an HR46 in the works.  It may be worth keeping to get the receivers they have come out in the future.

#159 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,409 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I just got the notice about the cost going up on May 16th as well. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. There's really nothing that can be upgraded with my setup, so that aspect is not really worth an additional $2/month for me. I might be dropping the PP.

- Merg

who knows what's coming in two years.  maybe the HR64?????? or perhaps DirecTV comes out with a better Nomad, one that let's you stream outside the home….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#160 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

who knows what's coming in two years.  maybe the HR64?????? or perhaps DirecTV comes out with a better Nomad, one that let's you stream outside the home….

Exactly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...